[SOLVED] Dell M2 NVMe PCIE drivers for Windows 10 install not found

EctoBoggan

Hey,
Sorry for my poor english

I'm facing a problem with the disk wipe/install configuation and drivers integration,

I'm 100% sure the disk configuation is correct, disk number, GPT, extended etc...

My problem comes with drivers for the M2 SSD installed : it just doesn't find any suitable drivers.

I've integrated drivers in my ISO in every partition possible.

The disk configuration error pops during the install and does not ‎continue.

I tried to disable the disk configuration in order to choose my disk manually and same problem, no drivers found (so there's no drive showing up) I have to manually get them on an other USB key and manually scan them.

The ISO is working with absolutly zero problem when the computer has a simple SSD or a HDD, but not when it's a M2.

I tried every drivers i could find, even installing a regular computer, update it and then export all its drivers.

the computer is a Dell 5820 Precision tower, and that's what my IT infrastructure mainly has, so i'm kinda screw if there is no solution :confused:

Thanks for your futur suggestion, I'll be happy to give more info if you need some.

I'm facing a problem with the disk wipe/install configuation and drivers integration,

I'm 100% sure the disk configuation is correct, disk number, GPT, extended etc...

My problem comes with drivers for the M2 SSD installed : it just doesn't find any suitable drivers.

The disk configuration error pops during the install and does not ‎continue.

I tried to disable the disk configuration in order to choose my disk manually and same problem, no drivers found (so there's no drive showing up) I have to manually get them on an other USB key and manually scan them.

the computer is a Dell 5820 Precision tower, and that's what my IT infrastructure mainly has, so i'm kinda screw if there is no solution :confused:
the issue is no disk or drive not found?

Have you removed intel/amd storage drivers from boot and install wim images?

I have seen that issue with SSD, removing drivers fixed it.

I got the error code 0x80300025 <DiskConfiguration>
"Windows couldn't clean the disk 0. The specify disk doesn't exist...."
diskconfigerror.jpg

Which is totally correct, if I go and check my disk with DISKPART, the disk doesn't show up :
DISKPART.JPG
Disque 0 Statut : no media
Disque 1 (my usb key)

But it shows up on a super light windows 10 install on my usb key :
DISKPARTwindows.JPG

Have you removed intel/amd storage drivers from boot and install wim images?
I don't why I should removed them, because it works if I select them manually from another usb key during the install then wipe manually all disk partition, but this is the saddest thing to do.

Last edited:
I got the error code 0x80300025 <DiskConfiguration>
"Windows couldn't clean the disk 0. The specify disk doesn't exist...."

Which is totally correct, if I go and check my dick with DISKPART, the disk doesn't show up
autopartition is set in autounattend file, I guess
But it shows up on a super light windows 10 install on my usb key :

I don't why I should removed them, because it works if I select them manually from another usb key during the install then wipe manually all disk partition, but this is the saddest thing to do.
You can ask Dell support.

A "super light" should have removed drivers but keep the bare minimum, Ms generic.

And yep, I have seen that issue before, in my niece's laptop Dell Inspiron.

For old hardware, nvidia drivers had to be removed from win 7.

Most of the times, Ms includes drivers for old hardware.

I remember the Intel drivers ahci issue for win XP back in the days.

Did you check Dell support pages?
Dell Precision 5820 and 7920: Imaging Steps for NVMe Drives in the Flex Bay

UEFI must be enabled. Integrate Intel RSTe 5.3.1 driver (or later) to both boot.wim & install.wim.

I did and drivers were already there :
driveralreadyhere.png

and this is my disk config :
diskconfig.png

And I added driver to boot.wim and install.wim
driverbootwim.png

UEFI is enable in the BIOS.

A "super light" should have removed drivers but keep the bare minimum, Ms generic.
Sorry I did say super light OS but it was actually a live OS (I use medicat as a bootable USB)

About install.wim or boot.wim, boot.wim starts a regular windows installation (asking my language etc... and it does not find disk either) and medicat says that install.wim isn't a bootable image.

I'm going to find out about .wim because for now I've always used ISO images, not knowing what .wim was

I'll contact DELL support and also clean the image from every driver then install only what I need (for now I was putting every driver possible in there).

in NTLite - Sources page load Setup image, go to Components page, expand drivers, find the storage drivers and remove Intel and AMD drivers or download the attached file that I have attached (used for Windows 11 but this preset works for Windows 10) to the NTLite presets folder and load it once the Setup image has been loaded.

The attached preset removes components not used by most users, is what I use and reduce the image (boot wim) size.

Testing takes not much time, but also, load the windows edition and there remove only the drivers related to storage, keep the microsoft"s generic ones.

Attachments

• 01 Windows 11 Setup (22000.318).xml
    21.8 KB
After one more week of trying, nothing seems to work.
I tried :
  • Edit the setup image and remove driver -> no
  • Edit the setup image and remove driver + adding all dell driver i could possibly find for my workstation -> no
  • Changing some BIOS config to denied every SATA connexion possible, so only the PCIE nvme would be accepted -> no
  • The setup you suggested with and without adding Dell Drivers
For every point I did tried :
  • With disk configuration GPT UEFI to test auto formating
  • Without disk configuration to see if the disk would pop up automaticly without having to select manually the driver on my usb key
  • On two diffrent but same workstations (Both are 5820 Precision Tower)
For every point I always do :
  • Checking the box to copy the driver installation on both boot and install (in Apply and unattended tab)
I'll keep digging.

I have tried to install win 11 on my niece's laptop (lenovo 2017 I guess), I have disabled secure boot and shift the boot mode to Legacy mode, could install windows and back in BIOS to enable secure boot, it was already enabled.

Read the latest post here:

Have you installed windows on HDD or SSD and had the NVME in place (before or after windows setup) to check for firmware updates?

I tried to find a NVME update in Ms catalog but first page shows Dell firmware
searching for nvme update or nvme windows, shows about the same (first page)

Try this method? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WsI4oobyM)

Also another thread on Microsoft marked this as the solution:
1) Disable CSM / UEFI
2) Enable Secure Boot
3) Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
4) Format the drive
5) Restart the machine
6) Enable CSM / UEFI
7) Disable Secure Boot
8) Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

Have you installed windows on HDD or SSD and had the NVME in place (before or after windows setup) to check for firmware updates?

I've done it only to install the latest driver/update from Dell Command Update, and then export drivers to integrate them to my ISO.
I'll check for the fimware update since i don't know if it's a part of the Dell update program or not.

If you have another working PC with this model SSD, check the Device Manager and see what it's using.

I feel a little stupid for not having thought of that, I'll check it.

But the thing is I think I know what driver works, because If I use the driver "RSTe_f6_iaVROC_win8_64" it works but only after loading it from my usb key like so :
  1. Starting Windows 10 Pro install.
  2. Getting an error because no disks founded.
  3. Search for the driver from the usb key.
  4. Getting an error because no drives found.
  5. Reloading drive list.
  6. Disk 0 (the M.2) is now listed.

So I still don't know if my driver integration in my ISO is the problem or if it's something else.
Stupid question but : is that a problem if I integate clearly non-working/compatible driver in there ? or the system is clever enough to ignore them ?

There's also two different expansion bay adapters, make sure you know which one.
https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...rives-in-T5820-what-is-supported/td-p/7983193
https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...-recognized-Tower-Precision-5820/td-p/7780985

If the drive bay was factory-installed (and not added later), use Dell support site to check the Dell asset tag and see what accessories they ordered with the system. It's not the bay as much as the right controller.
I'm not really sure if it's factory-installed since Dell have sold them(the worktations) to us but they were custom for our needs. I'll check your link they look very interesting.

Try this method? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WsI4oobyM)

Also another thread on Microsoft marked this as the solution:
1) Disable CSM / UEFI
2) Enable Secure Boot
3) Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
4) Format the drive
5) Restart the machine
6) Enable CSM / UEFI
7) Disable Secure Boot
8) Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive
I'll try that too

It'll take quite long to test all those solutions.
Thank you all ! :D

Last edited:
OKAY,
First thing I tried was just looking at device manager and check for a specific driver to extract (instead of juste extracting 25Go of drivers and stuffing them in my ISO).

I took :
  • iaahci.inf
  • iastorac.inf
  • kabylakepch-hsystemlpss.inf
  • skylake-esystem.inf
Which were listed here (sorry for french UI) :
1661516786351.png
And :
1661516870582.png
And also :
1661516934194.png
(Some of them shares the same .inf (I don't why))

I used Powershell to extract all drivers following this tutorial

And it worked !
I feel a little stupid for not having thought of that, I'll check it.

I still don't know why these drivers are not listed on Dell Download Center but
That's a driver problem.
You were right

Now i'm finally ready to use my perfectly customized ISO for the 180+ other workstation.

THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, YOU'RE AN AWSOME COMMUNITY

Dell provides two versions of the NVME driver: one from the KB article, and one from the drivers page.

Both F6 drivers are Intel RSTe 5.3.1, but the KB version includes the VROC driver. Some users complain VROC doesn't recognize drives.
If your working driver set is missing VROC, then have NTLite skip that driver during integration.

Just in case you need this driver:
Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9/100 Series and Intel® C220/C610 Chipset Family
I'll try ! :)

Thanks. I was going to ask about the [\F6\] sub-directory vs the normal Drivers\ directory:

Is/are the [\F6\] sub-directory driver for use exclusively for WinPE on the Setup (boot.wim), and the [\drivers\] For use elsewhere?

I'll start a new thread if I cannot sort my problem.

Really.....Intel... this is bad.

UPDATE: [Pending/Retracted]

Last edited:
Back