Solved NTLite image not deploying as it should

bookie56

I have a Windows 11 image setup as I want and it works as it should in vmware.
When I test it on a real machine it installs as an original install?
Nothing is as it should be and as it is in vmware?
Has anyone any ideas about what could be wrong?
I haven't even an active network ...and Edge installs?! I removed all of that from the image?
In vmware there is no sign of anything...just as it was setup...

bookie56

Are you sure you're booting from the right ISO, created from the custom image? All you need to do is take the same ISO and use Rufus or Ventoy to write the ISO on an USB drive. One way to confirm is to use Unattended mode for testing, since an unmodified ISO never has an unattended file.

Are you sure you're booting from the right ISO, created from the custom image? All you need to do is take the same ISO and use Rufus or Ventoy to write the ISO on an USB drive. One way to confirm is to use Unattended mode for testing, since an unmodified ISO never has an unattended file.
Yes have checked...I used rufus to create the usb and I can see the ntlite files on the usb...never had a problem with rufus before..
Sorry...what do you mean use unattended mode to confirm?
It is as if the unattend xml is being ignored.

bookie56

The only other logical explanation is your BIOS is booting from the wrong device, or the wrong ISO is written to USB.

The only other logical explanation is your BIOS is booting from the wrong device, or the wrong ISO is written to USB.
I don't understand...I clean the hard drive before install and have double checked that my image is on usb...

bookie56

Hi Garlin!
OK I read your posts over and over again and I have had to jump through a few hoops - but on the right track now...;)
I had created and image with both Home and Pro Win 11 and what I had forgotten was the fact that originally the computer had a Home license on it which I upgraded to Pro....
The first install came up as Home and for some reason hadn't adopted the settings from Pro...perhaps you can give me some pointers there....anyway, I re-did the image so it was only pro....and then the next problem....."this version of windows cannot be installed on this computer"...
I re-did the usb and chose to skip tpm.....
I then had another problem with the installation not activating because it was an Enterprise version....ok I had seen about adding a generic key which I did and now finally I have a Windows 11 Pro 23H2 setup how I want it....
I am going to do more tests - but this seems to be as it was in vmware now....
Thank you so much for your time...got me thinking....;)
Do you want me to change the thread to solved or can you do that?
bookie56

You have also two more options to simplify/automate this.
- Either apply the same changes to both editions, if you need both Home and Pro.
Enable that feature on the Apply page, "Reapply tasks across editions", select wanted propagations under it.
- Or delete the edition you don't need, so it cannot be installed, there is also on the Apply page "Remove nonessential editions".

When Setup finds an OEM product key in the BIOS, it defaults to auto-installing the same edition as the product key.

Some of your options include:
1. Remove all other images except for one image. Setup has no choice but to install that one edition, regardless of the OEM key.

2. Apply changes to all editions at the same time. But this option doesn't overcome Setup's auto-selection problem.

3. Load a specific image, and use Unattended mode which will install this loaded image.

4. Use Unattended mode, and provide a different product activation key (or generic install key) which forces the installed edition.

5. Create a EI.cfg file to allow the free selection of any install image.
Open a CMD window as Administrator, and use Notepad to create a new file \sources\EI.cfg in the mounted ISO folder:
Code:
[Channel]
Retail

[VL]

Back