[Solved] RivaTuner says "Required DirectX runtimes are not installed." (Windows 10)

mvierssen

Which component / feature did I remove from Windows 10 that causes RivaTuner to show the message "Required DirectX runtimes are not installed!" at startup?
From what I've found I have to install the "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)", but RivaTuner always worked fine using a full Window 10 (non-NTLite) install.

Update: Forgot to add my preset (thanks Clanger for reminding me)

Attachments

• mvierssen-w10-v8-stripped-ww.xml
    44.9 KB
Last edited:
i have noticed that you have disabled the 'DirectX WARP JIT Service, on a readthrough, so maybe that. then again i have just woke up and my eyes are not the best without a few coffees........

I wonder if that component is responsible for backwards compatibility to support older DirectX versions, especially 9. If so, I think it should be added to the game preset or compatibility protection.

Are you for sure certain that it worked fine before? The reason I ask is because I have found that ever since Windows XP SP3 all the way through every single Windows version, into Windows 10 21H2 even, that the DirectX June 2010 update has to be installed for a substantial number of games and video card related software (benchmarks, rivatuner, etc) to work properly, because far too many programs rely on the optional SDK components that the 2010 Redist update installs. It's really quite silly that it isn't baked into Windows at this point.

I experienced this issue again recently on my Windows 10 21H2, on a brand new install of a fresh, official, untweaked ISO I still had to manually install that DX9 Redist update before my 3D benchmarks like TimerBench would work.

I also had to install VC2015-2022, both the 32bit and 64bit for a large number of games and benchmark tools to work as well, on a fresh, untweaked Windows 10 21H2 ISO.

Even if you didn't manually update these, it's possible that in your previous Windows install that they were installed for you by Windows Update and/or the Microsoft Store, or even a game or other software (automatically, in the background) without you realizing, and you are only noticing now because you are tweaking a fresh install that hasn't been connected online for a while? I know for sure that a lot of Steam games for example will install that DX Redist and C++ updates without you realizing (and .NET frameworks too). Worth looking into at least.

Last edited:
abbodi86 and techpowerup maintain up to date c++(all versions) installer repacks.

Thanks I just wanted to ask if there are any repacks because the official installer is quite old and asks to install the Bing Bar. I have already installed the C++ redistributables with winget by using:

Code:
winget install --exact --id Microsoft.VC++2015-2022Redist-x64 --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements --silent
winget install --exact --id Microsoft.VC++2015-2022Redist-x86 --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements --silent
winget install --exact --id Microsoft.VC++2008Redist-x64 --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements --silent
winget install --exact --id Microsoft.VC++2008Redist-x86 --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements --silent

Unfortunately the DirectX runtimes are not available on winget. If using Steam it is indeed not essential to install it on Windows because Steam installs it automatically in the game container, but the fact is that so many things outside of Steam still require DirectX 9.

The Github version seems to have issues for some users. I've tried the TechPowerUp version (link1) for testing and had zero issues on a fresh windows install that hadn't connected online yet. It is overkill to install some 20 different C++ versions and updates though, since the vast majority of software nowadays only require the following.

1) DX9 June 2010 Redist (link2)
2) C++ 2015-2022 32-bit (link3)
3) C++ 2015-2022 64-bit (link4)

If you're on a 64-bit Windows, you will need to install both versions of C++, since many games and programs are still 32-bit only. Those C++ links are official, and you can see the documentation page (link5) for more information. These official installers won't try to install toolbars or other bloat.

Last edited:

Thanks. I already install those (and the 2008 one) using WinGet and it works well.

These official installers here won't try to install bing bar or anything (in my experience at least).

Ah, it is the web installer that wants to install the Bing Toolbar. This one is better.

I think that's Abbodi1406 github repo too :)
Pl do cross check mdl abbod1406 repo for dx repack posted by him feb 2022.

But I personally think this is overkill to install some 20 different C++ versions and updates. For the vast majority of software nowadays all you need are these:

C++ 2015-2022 (32-bit): https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
C++ 2015-2022 (64-bit): https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

For a properly written application, the latest VC++ runtime is all you need.

Unfortunately, there's poorly written apps and app installers which aren't future-proofed. Therefore I keep updated 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015-22 versions around to prevent them from installing random versions.

abbodi's AIO Github is handy if you want to browse his source links from MS, and download them yourself.

Okay, thank you everyone! I created installer scripts for the runtimes / redistributables according to your suggestions.

Update: If you use my scripts you first have to run the WinGet installer (step 1) for the rest (the step 2 scripts) to work.

Attachments

• InstallScripts.7z
    1.8 KB
Last edited:
Back