Something is going wrong with my Windows 7 custom install disk

357mag

I have been trying to make a custom Windows 7 install disk. But every time I try to install Windows 7 using the disk I made with NT Lite I get this error message:

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an error. Windows installation cannot proceed.

Now the only components I am removing are things like this:

Parental Controls
Windows Defender
Obsolete Intel Codecs
Internet Explorer
Remote Registry
Disk Quota
Security Center
Game Explorer
Tips

You get the idea...

When I try to install Windows 7 from the original Microsoft install disk everything goes fine so I'm trying to figure out is there something I'm removing that is causing this problem?

I just tried it again and this time I did not remove any components that dealt with Remote Registry or stuff like that. And I got the same error message plus Windows hung up at the later part of the install process.

I don't know how to post a preset last session file. I don't think I have it.

Not having a last session file will make it hard to rack things down unless you can remember exactly everything you removed.

When you are posting, there is a button below, got a little picture of a paperclip, it says Attach files.
Capture.PNG

Okay I exported an XML file to my hard drive. I'm gonna try this operation again using the new version of NT Lite. I will post back how it goes.

I tried it again with the same problem. I keep getting that same error message. I am perplexed as to why. I just don't know what is causing it. I am uploading the XML file from the session.

I've done some research into this error message and I've found out that other people have encountered it. There is supposedly a fix. You open the registry editor and modify a value in setup.exe.

It's even shown on YouTube.

I will try this fix. There may not be anything wrong at all with your software. I suspect now it's a Windows glitch.

The workaround that was shown on YouTube and also mentioned on the Web worked. But there are some other very strange things going on. I got an error message saying my account was disabled. Weird. So I could not login to the desktop. So again I did some research only to find that other people have come across the same thing. I solved the issue by going into Safe Mode and making sure the Administrator Account was not disabled.

I've noticed other things too. Instead of Users -> Administrator -> Public. I will see the Administrator folder listed three times!

Then when I tried to activate Windows 7 by internet which has always worked before this time activation failed. Something about security.

This all is extremely strange when you consider I've installed Windows 7 before with none of these problems. So to have these issues now makes absolutely no sense.

And I'm using the same original Microsoft install disc I have used in the past too.

Thanks for the additional info, I didn't manage to get to this today, will do it tomorrow, latest by Sunday.

I hope to see the issue, sorry for the delay.

So I tried the preset from your post #6 above, and it works fine, boots up into the Sysprep audit.

Is the ISO you're starting from pre-configured, do I need so other script somewhere to see the issue? e.g. custom setupcomplete.cmd

Thanks.

I was using my own purchased DVD of Windows 7 Professional. And I've made install disks before and I have not come across these error messages. So this makes no sense. But if you look on YouTube you can see other people have seen these error messages. If it didn't do it before I don't know why it would do it now.

Did you slisptream updates to the earlier installs or did you install your dvd untouched and updated after 1st logon?
Have you ever installed your dvd and activated before adding any updates?

Windows 7 Professional (SP1) 64-bit - Client 6.1.7601.17514 (en-US) with 4 editions in it but Pro is the actual set edition, Is it a refresh or non refresh? OEM or full retail disc? Refresh added 1 update because of an installation bug in some circumstances. Something about security? Do you get an error mentioning certificate by chance?

6.1.7601.17514 untouched discs and isos have a certificate problem which "may" affect activation.
You are using an earlier disc and not a later media refresh one, the missing update mentioned above. What date did you purchase the disc, i can check that against a media refresh discs release date.
Did you create an unattended file? A bad answer file maybe.
Was the date and time correct?
Have you used up all your activations?
The activation servers had a brain fart and decided to say "computer says no" no matter what.
Im clutching at straws here.

Can you post me the links of the web pages and youtube video please, i may be able to spot something.
Nuhi didnt get the bug and i reckon he has used a U disc. I bet yours is an earlier one.
Try this one --> en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso

Im bugadifino what else it could be apart from any of the above. The simplest/silliest things are usually the biggest sods to track down.

Last edited:
I'm using my personal retail install disc of Windows 7 Professional. I've never heard of this word "refresh" nor do I know about it. So I guess I'm using the set edition. But as to refresh or non-refresh who knows as I've never heard of this word. No certificate error messages. Simply what I posted. It's also visible on YouTube same error message. I have never slipstreamed updates into my custom install discs. I have never updated anything. Only customized my install discs by removing components.

Where can I get a Refresh 1 version? Download it perhaps?

ISO Downloads, Read posts 6 and 7, if you use that you need to select Type as Final. You can get one direct from MS Here. You will need to enter your product key.

Maybe your disc is damaged, disc rot?

This is the missing update that is on media refresh discs. Explanation.

en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso SHA1 Hash 0BCFC54019EA175B1EE51F6D2B207A3D14DD2B58
I have a direct link to that iso from a known trusted source if needed.

Can you give me the links i asked for so i can try to fathom out what the hell has gone wrong please.

Last edited:
Okay I downloaded a new version from Microsoft so I will make a custom install disk and see what happens. Here is a YouTube link which is the same error I saw:

Below is a batch file to enable the Administrator account, just run it as administrator and logoff, works on 7 8.1 and 10 1607.
The reg file is the default values from w8.1. Enter that into NTLite registry page and to the post setup window, brute force approach.

Ive never had that problem before. abbodi86 knows about registry stuff.

Attachments

• Enable built-in administrator account in windows 7.zip
    240 bytes
  • ChildCompletion.reg
    442 bytes
I will try this when I get some energy, get rid of my neckaches, and get rid of September allergies. It may be awhile.

You have got enough possibles above so you should be able to get sorted hopefully, good luck.
Its always good to have a break when something is twisting your melon, thats usualloy when you have that Hosanna moment.

357mag, if you do get any error by using just the latest version of the tool, and nothing else on a clean fresh downloaded ISO.
Then please just attach the new preset and I'll check it, no need to debug it yourself. I'm just saying the original report did not cause any issue on my side, maybe I'll have more luck with the new preset.
Make sure to list any editing or pre-integrations if you do to the image, key is to have the same environment as yours.

Thanks.

Back