Something very strange happened... help!

Kuser19

I am running windows 10.

I just downloaded the ntlite and installed it as a portable version thinking that this was the safest way to try it out.....

I used it to try to see how it works on a folder of an image of windows 10 that I had on my desktop.
I didnt really want to actually use it, just see how it works. After poking around a bit I forgot all about it.

So.. a week or so after that.... I just ran CCLeaner as I normally do once per week and when it was cleaning I noticed it cleaning something I had never seen before..
A folder C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\NLTmpMount01 and ccleaner was erasing it!

Then afterwards to my horror, I saw that all my start menu items on my normal computer were gone, programs were asking for me to re-register them or reinstall them...
it was a nightmare. I was able to restore my start menu from a backup I had....
And I fixed all the problems but it took a whole day of trying to get things back the way they were.

Today I went into my temp file again and I saw the same exact folder NLTmpMount01 and its full of files again!

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\NLTmpMount01

Whats this file and if I use ccleaner again and it empties my temp file will my start menu and programs get messed up again?

How can I avoid this thing! i dont want it to happen again...

Sorry Im a newbie to NTLite... had I known I would have such problems I would not have tried it out.

Any advice is very welcome! Thanks

This is a hit and run for me so i wont be able to answer any further questions but i will try to give you enough of an understanding to get on.

I am sure you are aware of the many windows 10 builds and although there are many simularities between builds there are also enough differences so that you must treat each build as a different OS. What worked on build 1607 LTSB prolly wont work on build 1809 LTSC.

Windows 10 is buggy as hell so the poor developers have to keep up with the bugs(bug hunting, game over man, game over) and the wtice yearly "update" load of cobblers, some developers have said sod it and have given up trying to keep up with ms schenannigans.

NTLite has its own removals engine but it has to use microsoft DISM to mount/unmount an image and to slipstream updates.
An image is a .wim format, think of it as a very large .7z .zip etc, it must be unpacked before it can be worked on and dism does the unpacking and packing, NTLite tells dism what to do.

Inside your dvd/usb media or iso are 2 wim files inside the Sources folder. Boot.wim contains the PE and Setup images, install.wim contains the actual Wxx installation files. Most users safely remove the PE part of the boot.wim but Do Not Remove the Setup part.

The image/.wim gets unpacked to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\NLTmpMount01. Running ccleaner will clean out the users temp files location and everything that is in it, mounted image and all. You could add the mount folder to ccleaners exclude list but i wouldnt try it, wait till you are finished. I dont know how it mullered your host but NTLite isnt to blame for that.

When NTLite has finsihed(you will know when) it cleans out the mounted folder and it may delete it, i cant remember if it does delete it, but if you see it and it is empty then its all good.

Whenever you are reporting issues clearly state the build number and edition you are servicing and upload the last autosaved session file(use the Attach files button below), a screen grab if needed aswell as any ntlite/dism logs. Use ccleaner betwen sessions so that the logs will be the last sessions only, not the last 5 or 10 etc.

There are Lite presets(written by me) for beginners aswell as advanced presets(by other users) for experienced users.
There are many posts here you will find helpful so go through the site with a large scotch/coffee etc.

Post your questions/issues and someone will will reply as soon as possible, you dont have to bump if you havnt got an answer in 24 hours or less. There may be an answer already here somewhere so use the Search button, a bit of goggling(sic) and fiddling around can work wonders sometimes.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Today I went into my temp file again and I saw the same exact folder NLTmpMount01 and its full of files again!

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\NLTmpMount01
Those are the virtual mounted folder files, they represent the image that was loaded.
To get rid of them start NTLite and unload any mounted images (blue icon under the mounted images of the Source page).
If they are stubborn, due to moved images that created them, then go to the File - Settings and push clear the temp folder - careful that the temp folder is actually a temp folder and not something else.

As to why would CCleaner mess it up cleaning that, you should report to them. You can frame it as:
"Issue with WIM mounted folder cleanup, potentially directory junctions leakage to the host Windows. Mounted folders should be ignored, list in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\Mounted Images".

Back