sqmapi.dll error

fsalazar

Hi @nuhi you told me to open a new issue with this error, so, hope you can help.

First, I have been using this preset (attached) with the NTLite version 1.3.1.5060 when that version was the last one (some month in 2017). So I decided to update my ISO image and I installed the last NTLite version (MARCH 2018), loaded my very clean (original) Windows 7 64 bit with SP1 (same one I have used with the 5060 version), loaded my preset and generated de iso image. Everything seemed ok until I tried to install Battle.net app (from blizzard) and this program reported a “SQMAPI.DLL missing” (image attached).

After reading this thread: https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/clangers-w7-and-w10-presets-closed.154/page-2

I found that @pmikep had the same problem (image attached) with other preset made by @Clanger, after reading this, it seems that it’s something related to ie.

Hope you can help @nuhi.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• pmikep.JPG
    pmikep.JPG
    101.1 KB
  • sqmapi_error.jpg
    sqmapi_error.jpg
    75.7 KB
  • for_ntlite_forum.xml
    50.2 KB
I looked at your Preset.

First, I think you'll find that Presets are not necessarily compatible across newer versions of NTLite. So you might have to start with a fresh Preset and manually refer to your old Preset.xml to remove the items you want to remove now, as there might be finer graduations/control in newer versions of NTLite.

Second, I ended up leaving ie in for my install to get other things to work. Once I got my programs installed and running, then I removed ie using Windows' Features Removal, and then using NTLite's Live Removal.

Third, I thought that nuhi fixed the swmapi.dll problem. But if not, you can tell NTLITE to keep that file in the "Keep" section of the Comparability Box.
In the Preset.xml, it looks like this:

Code:
<ProtectedFiles>
<File>sqmapi.dll</File>
</ProtectedFiles>

@fsalazar, thanks for the report.
I wouldn't call it a bug, but a dependency.
Since SQM is a bit spyishi, I would like to avoid any trace of it as much as possible.
While 64-bit version of the API is kept, as APIs are not necessarily having the functionality, they are just a hook for programs - you can also keep the 32-bit version.
On the Components page - Compatibility - right side list, type:
SysWow64\sqmapi.dll

The effect is the same as pmikep suggested, when editing the preset file directly.

That said, for me it works fine without that file, maybe it's a Win7 thing.

Let me know if the solution is satisfactory.

Thanks @pmikep@ and @nuhi ! I will try what you said about protecting "sqmapi.dll", anyway, without protecting this file; this file is present, it has the correct hash and is in the correct places where they should be but its not valid, I am not expert, but it seems thats its damaged or some dependency is missing (i don't know why), protecting this file will change this?

about this:
Second, I ended up leaving ie in for my install to get other things to work. Once I got my programs installed and running, then I removed ie using Windows' Features Removal, and then using NTLite's Live Removal.
I really would like to remove IE using NTLite, it seems too much manually work what you propose.

Since SQM is a bit spyishi, I would like to avoid any trace of it as much as possible.
You are right! but I need it :(

That said, for me it works fine without that file, maybe it's a Win7 thing.
I don´t understand this, have you tested my preset (in windows 7 64) and installed battle.net app and it works?, what you mean by "it's a Wn7 thing", sorry, but I don't understand this...

Thanks !

If, as you said, "without protecting this file; this file is present, it has the correct hash and is in the correct places where they should be but its not valid" then it sounds more like a PATH problem. That the file is there but your program can't find it?

Perhaps copy the sqmapi.dll into the same directory as battle.net?

If, as you said, "without protecting this file; this file is present, it has the correct hash and is in the correct places where they should be but its not valid" then it sounds more like a PATH problem. That the file is there but your program can't find it?

Perhaps copy the sqmapi.dll into the same directory as battle.net?
I think that's es not necessary, never was needed, Its more like this dll is not appropriate registered or some other problem, tried to register and its not possible...

Well then, even tho you think keeping ie in and then removing it later is too much work, you might need to try that to see if that solves your particular issue.

As I said earlier in the forum, Dragon Dictate would not work for me on a "refresh" of Win7 unless ie was installed. Once I ran Dragon with ie installed, then I could uninstall ie and Dragon kept working.

pmikep, You both have a good argument for capturing custom wims because not everyone will be able to do live removals.
install your os and updates, then your chosen software, sysprep then capture then drag into ntlite. Its rather easy when you know how. :)

I don´t understand this, have you tested my preset (in windows 7 64) and installed battle.net app and it works?, what you mean by "it's a Wn7 thing", sorry, but I don't understand this...
I meant, since I use Win10, don't have that file and Battle.net works, it must be only needed in Win7.
I don't have to test since the result would be "I agree, protect the file", or "don't see it, protect the file since you need it" :)
There is no harm in keeping that file, especially if you need it to run something.
If I get more reports like this, will see about changing something to always protect it, or at least add to the description.

Does this affect CEIP removal? If it does i will have to link presets topic to this one until i modify my presets or NLite protects these files. .

Back