Suggestion for Future NTLite Build

SM03

Hi nuhi , I'd like to add some suggestion & feature request for future NTlite builds

1. Location Customization as per user choice & Sub-DIR for Windows Update files

The Windows Updates DIRECTORY should be customizable because if anyone already has those updates in someplace else, then the user just needs to browse & select that DIR where all those Windows Updates files are available & stored. By this, the user should save unnecessary downloading+unnecessary copy-pasting of those same files from a DIR to another (NTLITE fixed Directory)

1.png

2. Check for Update need slight Re-design

In the existing design, it is like this
2.png
While this section is a new addition, & I appreciate this, still, I think this needs a little re-design, i.e

Under Tool
=======
A. Update Channe=STABLE/BETA (As per the selection i.e. BETA or STABLE, the rest steps should follow, here I'm taking the example of BETA Channel)
B. Latest Version: 2.0.0.7428 (In green colour)
C. Installed Version: 2.0.0.7428 (In green colour if it's matching with the latest version, or else RED colour)
D. Status: Up-to-Date (Green coloured) or Outdated (Red Coloured)
E. if step 4 is outdated / RED, Update Now button should be enabled, or else the button should be disabled/greyed out.

Also, as you can see, the HOST section isn't reporting correctly as I'm already on v208, but it still reporting v207 as the latest so that need a fix.

3. NTLITE Settings functionality suggestion
Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating=Windows Setting/Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced option

3.png

Reg Tweak:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"RestartNotificationsAllowed2"=dword:00000001

B. Enable Peek to preview Desktop in Taskbar= Windows Settings/Personalization/Taskbar
Reg Tweak:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Set Disable Preview Desktop value to= 0 for enable 1 for disable.

Suggesting to implement these functionalities under NTLITE->Configure/Settings->Windows Update

First, thanks for such a beautiful post.

1) It is selectable in the File - Settings - Update Cache
Subfolders are not, because they differ on Windows version being loaded.
Making it selectable for each Windows version is bloating the options.
What about merging into one folder, allow the user to worry about different versions, seems clumsy
Let me know if you have a third option, for now as it is, if you didn't know about selection in settings, seems ok to me.

2) So basically indicate there is a new version with colors. OK, gotcha, like it, will do.
I might do a lite version of the changes, something like keep all the same, make the Available version green when newer.

.208 I didn't find/extract direct CAB link, so it's not in the Updates database, it is all automatic once added.
Win10 2004 is not officially released yet, so MS is treating those updates with less visibility, not even having KB articles.

3) Will do, thanks.

First, thanks for such a beautiful post.

1) It is selectable in the File - Settings - Update Cache
Subfolders are not, because they differ on Windows version being loaded.
Making it selectable for each Windows version is bloating the options.
What about merging into one folder, allow the user to worry about different versions, seems clumsy
Let me know if you have a third option, for now as it is, if you didn't know about selection in settings, seems ok to me.

2) So basically indicate there is a new version with colors. OK, gotcha, like it, will do.
I might do a lite version of the changes, something like keep all the same, make the Available version green when newer.

.208 I didn't find/extract direct CAB link, so it's not in the Updates database, it is all automatic once added.
Win10 2004 is not officially released yet, so MS is treating those updates with less visibility, not even having KB articles.

3) Will do, thanks.

Hello nuhi
Firstly, thanks for your response & implementation of my suggestions in the latest release. I am facing an issue while modding ISO through NTLite regarding adding reg file & I msgd you twice regarding that issue, as you didn't reply over there but reply over here within a day, so am asking here to kindly check the msg & reply.

3). now about suggestions, I've a few more small yet useful reg tweaking suggestions for implementing in NTLite settings while modding an ISO, am listing all those here, hope you'd consider those in your future builds.

1. Unpin Store from Taskbar:
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer "NopinningStoreToTaskbar"=dword:00000001

2. OneDrive AutoSync Disabled:
HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive "DisableFileSyncNGSC"=dword:00000001

3. Enable System Restore:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore "DisableSR"=-

4. Night (Blue) Light Settings:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\DefaultAccount\Cloud\ [default$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate & default$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\DefaultAccount\Current
[default$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate & default$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings]

5. Storage Sense Settings:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StorageSense\Parameters\StoragePolicy

6. Video Playback Settings:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\VideoSettings

7. Sign-In option/Privacy-Show Account Details on Sign-in Screen
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System [DontDisplayLockedUserId=1]

8. Use the PrtScn button to open screen snipping
HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard [PrintScreenKeyForSnippingEnabled=1]

9. Diagnostics & Feedback-Feedback Frequence (NEVER)
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules [NumberOfSIUFInPeriod=0 & 'PeriodInNanoSeconds' should be deleted]

10. Background Apps Settings:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppPrivacy
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications

11. File Explorer (This PC) Settings
--Navigation Panel
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\NavPane

-- Quick Access Toolbar Customization & Ribbon
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Ribbon

12. Task Manager Layout & other Settings:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TaskManager

13. START Screen Layout Settings:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

2) it's not only about the colour, but also about the layout & what lines (options) should visible & in which order (as I suggested, I think that my suggested hierarchy is more precise & articulated). Also, I think that the update or check for update option should be merged with the About section like many other application development designs. I will wait & see your way of implementation of these features in future builds.

1). I quite do not understand your statement about this clearly, can we talk/discuss about this in someplace else where we can chat in real-time, for better understanding? let me know pls, then we'd continue about discussing on this point.

Hi nuhi

so, after a good (re-)read, this is my thought about the option/point number 1, we're discussing

"if you didn't know about the selection in settings, seems ok to me " ...
I'm aware of that option, that's the same DIR that I use for integrating the FOD CAB files, but my point is different

what I am saying, is that
If any user (i.e. me) already have those update files in someplace else in his /her HDD (like for me, I kept all the update files of windows in D:\OneDrive\Apps\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Updates) then there is no need to download those files again via NTLite or any other tool or method, your tool NTlite already can use those files like FOD packages, what I'm trying to say that, to use a customise option if possible, otherwise I've to copy-paste all those files from my repository i.e. D:\OneDrive\Apps\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Updates) to NTLite FIXED UPDATE CACHE location.

In one line, add an ability to change/customise the NTLITE UPDATE CACHE DIR, add this flexible option there. IF POSSIBLE

You also said that "Subfolders are not, because they differ on Windows version being loaded."
By this I think you're tying to say that, likewise there are different subfolder for diff version of Windows, like
for Windows 10 Version 2004= the subfolder/ subDIR For FOD Package is '10.0.2004.x64' & for Windows Updates 'Windows 10 2004 x64'
For Windows 10 Version 1909= the subfolder/ subDIR For FOD Package is '10.0.1909.x64' & for Windows Updates 'Windows 10 1909 x64'

I think you mention/said about this complexity for each & every different Windows version? And thus said "Making it selectable for each Windows version is bloating the options."

Let me know, if I got it correctly, or not.

Also, in the end, I discovered that downloading those updates are a premium feature which is only available for premium/paid members, right?
So, being a normal/free user, I can't take any advantage of that option in any way, which I didn't realise earlier while posting this suggestion at first.

Let me know about your thoughts here.

And About 208 CU: here is the link
2020-04 CU KB4558244 [19041.208.1.0]

Last edited:
I already replied about the update cache, it's not fixed, it's dynamic with fixed base, due to different Windows editions. Please reread my reply, setting is in File - Settings - Update cache.
What you might be asking for is the option to disable per-edition filtering and consider only the selected Update cache base... don't see the point in that.
You can also create NTFS symbolic link in directory tree and point to any location you want, let me know if you cannot find info on how to do that.
Not to mention you can drop the files from anywhere and save the preset, seems like I don't really understand what you're aiming at.
If you're asking to make some kind of NTFS search engine and try to save bytes whenever possible avoiding duplicate downloads, nice but it's not in the scope of this tool.
Updates can be enqueued (downloaded and integrated in one go) on the trial/free version as well, it uses the selected update cache dir.

Back