Sysprep issue on customized Windows 10 Pro x64 17763.1

doberstw

Hi,
my recently customized Windows 10 Pro x64 17763.1 can not be generalized with sysprep.
I used the command "c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown" an got a severe error.
Please see attached logfiles and my configuation-xml.
How can I see which components and Features are essential for sysprep to make it work?

Kind regards

doberstw

oo heck, this one really slipped through the net but i will answer it as someone was reading it and LTSC is 17763.
sysprep is a temperamental SOB and i know for a fact(it happened to me) that the ResetBase tweak can break sysprep.

my opinion based on personal experience is do a defalt install, no tweaks, no removals, nothing, just update then capture. NTLite works well with captured images.

also(again from personal experience) is sysprep immediately after a restart, if the machine has been running for a time a running task might have something open that will cause sysprep to fail, for me it was one of the blobs.bin files in winsxs that was in use.

oo, hang on, capture failed because one of the blobs.bin files was "still in use".

Last edited:
Can also happen if hardware have TPM set to Ennabled in BIOS as you can't sysprep a (bitlocker) encrypted drive.
To unencrypt the sysprep drive open an elevated prompt and put:
Suspend-BitLocker -MountPoint "X:" -RebootCount 0
where X is the sysprep directory path.

I'm using Sysprep too.

1) Integrate image with latest updates.
2) Install into VirtualBox VHD with automated sysprep
3) Mount VHD and capture image
4) Perform NTLite custom actions - Components removal, Drivers integration, Tweaks.

All should work as expected with these steps

Why not perform all the NTL custom actions before sysprep e.g NTL remove components, Settings, tweaks, postsetup options before make a sysprep on another free partition instead of use a virtual drive.
Some users may have free space on a D: drive that can be minimized (at least 30 GB) and free space used as a new partition for e.g. sysprep or linux install during make a NTL image.

i prefer to prepare 1 updated(to eol for w7) wim so i can have default aswell as custom installs. its handy to have a default system availible sometimes.

I used to do that with win10 - but after - now can use use uup for win10 included latest updates added with missing update from netfx with normal clean update option and can go from there.

Why not perform all the NTL custom actions before sysprep e.g NTL remove components, Settings, tweaks, postsetup options before make a sysprep on another free partition instead of use a virtual drive.
Some users may have free space on a D: drive that can be minimized (at least 30 GB) and free space used as a new partition for e.g. sysprep or linux install during make a NTL image.

Why on real HW if you can do it in one script in VirtualBox? I wrote automated AutoSyspreping script, so I can only launch it and wait until I get final ISO.

Better to do every settings after sysprep in final touch from my experience. And also Clean Update backup should have better result after all packages status go to intalled status.

Last edited:
Better to do every settings after sysprep in final touch from my experience. And also Clean Update backup should have better result after all packages status go to intalled.
Never experienced any problem apply any settings before sysprep in NTL (incl. GPO+REG) and do WU clean up in sysprep state before capture to minimize install.wim.
Otherwize you have to do to much work after final install customization.

Why on real HW if you can do it in one script in VirtualBox? I wrote automated AutoSyspreping script, so I can only launch it and wait until I get final ISO.

Better to do every settings after sysprep in final touch from my experience. And also Clean Update backup should have better result after all packages status go to intalled status.
Not familiar with virtualbox (or WM) - as i think s lot of space on a guick ssd (like PMA1)- and just can make a secondary partition to test on on another partition than C:\. Why have to use extra space on my working partition to make a virtual drive decrease space anyway for someting be as guick like that and (maybe) slow down my working drive in the meantime. As a company user it may give meaning - but from a private point it dont undless you're on ancient h/w as most companies.

although i prefer unused disk space i keep an old amd system where windows update isnt blocked. if working area space is tight and so are funds a vm should serve you well and windows update wont be blocked on a vm. if you are just doing test installs a quad core with 8gb of ram, 2c 4gb for the vm is good enough.

i use crucial bx 120GB ssds from £25(inc delivery) that serve me well enough. there is no right or wrong way, pick a way of working that suits your circumstances and roll with it.

Actually - on a 1 TB ssd space shouldn't be a problem - even for secondary partitions / drives. Can understand for W7 (NTLite) perspective but on W10 from UUP with exact version included updates i never experienced any problem exept i removed something that shouldn't for make the install (and NTL) work as intended.

ive got a 500gb for c: with 100gb unused. a 250gb formatted is 236gb usable, as long as you got 150 for c: and say 60+ for testing. 120 as a c: would be very tight but doable.

ive got a 500gb for c: with 100gb unused. a 250gb formatted is 236gb usable, as long as you got 150 for c: and say 60+ for testing. 120 as a c: would be very tight but doable.
Agreed - exept C = 30 GB (for Win and working s/w for video and music edit), D = 900 GB and E = the rest app 28 GB.
Lot of space to make testing drive(s) on D from disk management with one (OEM) buy.
Avaible in many online shops and half price than PM980.
Working for friends gaming pc's as well as games be installed on D like via Steam.

My main machine for building images have a lot of space and power, but I still love VirtualBox as I can script everything

This is my machine

Motherboard:
Asus Prime B360 Plus
CPU:
Intel Core i5-9400F, 2,9 GHz - 4,1 GHz
RAM:
2x 16GB HyperX 2666 MHz
Disks:
1x SSD 1TB Intel 660p
1x SSD 1TB Samsung EVO 970
2x HDD 8TB Seagate
GPU:
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4 GB (I bought it as it was very cheap 90% discount last piece)
Expansions:
1x PCI WiFi Qualcomm Atheros AR922x
1x PCI Silicon Image 0680 ATA/133 RAID Controller
1x PCIe VIA USB3 Controller
1x USB Bluetooth
1x SATA Asus Blu-Ray

I can boot Windows 7 in pure UEFI with patched bootmgrfw.efi using Flashboot PRO.

I'm currectly running Windows 10 20H2 v2 and I can integrate Windows 7 with all updates until 05-2021 (around 140 packages + some addons)
in 20min, AutoSysprep takes about 13 min and NTLite cleanup session with removing all 3rd drivers, languages, cache and temp files, natural language, Clean Update backup and reuse driver cache takes 4min. So I'm able to do it in 45min perfect ISO on single click :)
But currecntly my builder is only for building 36v1 AIO and thsi whole process takes on this machine around 36hours to get perfect AIO with ESD that can fit DVD.

If I must do it manually on free system partition it will takes like 10x more time. Thats why I love capturing images from VirtualBox

Back