SystemSettings error on LTSC 1809

bay12

Hi guys,
every time i go to settings -> personalization -> themes i have an error pop up with the following message: SystemSettings.exe - the system detected an overrun of stack-based buffer in this application

Capture.PNG

i've attached my ntlite removal list. Does anybody have a clue on what is causing this error?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• settings.xml
    16.9 KB
Hi,

thanks, tried it but cannot replicate, with that preset Themes open up just fine.

I noticed there is a big warning on top it requires Windows Activation, so make sure that is not tampered with.

Make sure to use the latest NTLite from ntlite.com/download
In the preset it states "1.8.0.6790", which is very old and lacks on many fixes, so it could be that as well.

Btw did you also watch the Youtube video where the author stated that particular version was stable for him or it's a coincidence?
Please always use the latest, and if you still have the issue, retry without NTLite editing to isolate the cause.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi and thanks for your reply.
So i've investigated further an it doesn't depend by the settings or ntlite but it's because i've disabled some services, so all good!

Interesting, I got that error if I try to open up network settings by the new control panel.
The old version works.

Here I'm using Win 20h1 .208 x64

Attachments

• Automatisch gespeicherte Sitzung {437F952D-908D-0E4E-C619-7D7E539C9BC1}.xml
    27.1 KB
I got that error if I try to open up network settings by the new control panel on Win 20h1 .208 x64 , windows 10 17763.1192 LTSC and also on 18363.815 ...
So far after so many attempts i give up and i am still on windows 10.14393.3659 LTSB which i can modify at a bare-bone level and without any troubles .

Attachments

• Auto-saved session 14393.3659 XX.xml
    45.9 KB
Thanks FLCL and balanadi, it's the "Windows Push Notifications Service (WNS)" component.
You can also see it by simply stopping the "WpnUserService" on a live install.

Please keep this component for now, let's see if MS will fix this in the meantime, this dependency shouldn't be there.

I wonder if disabling the polling API might help in some cases.
[URL redacted, domain expired]

Last edited:
I wonder if disabling the polling API might help in some cases.
[URL redacted, domain expired]
Nice try, and will add that tweak, but unfortunately it did not help this particular dependency.

Last edited by a moderator:
SystemSettings.exe - the system detected an overrun of stack-based buffer in this application
ive had the exact same error on modified(i thought it was due to pebkac) and non modified(proves it wasnt pebkac) ltsc's.
"overrun of stack based buffer" errors are happening on other things too and word is it is a MS programming error. its not a recent bug either, its a long standing problem and partly why it makes w10 a no go until its fixed.

Can't remember. It was someone's tech blog, and his domain was later hijacked by a squatter.

Back