The new "deep" Internet Explorer cleanup breaks opening links...

Light

I have just noticed the new Internet Explorer cleanup breaks opening links from within different programs.

For example,

1. NTLite can`t open the browser when checking for and finding an update....
2. I cannot open a link from within an email client to open in a new browser window.

The error says something like...."The program cannot be found"

Is there a known fix for this ?

I have also checked and reapplied all the "Default Programs" settings and default browser registry entries and they all seem intact.

(win 7)

Edit: otherwise, which is the last working version of NTLite with has the old IE cleanup routine ?
OK, I found it...rev 6510

Last edited:
Hi,

if you remove "Browser window frame (IEFrame)" 64-bit (or 32-bit if it's the OS version), then try keeping it, that contains the link opening bits.

Otherwise attach the preset and let me know which browser did you install to test with?

Thanks.

I tried that, ignoring the Browser Window Frame options - and still it broke opening links.

Removed with v1.8.0.6680 beta x64 - system is windows 7 x64

This is an online removal, there was a lot of stuff removed previously over the weekend as I am making a fresh install of Win7
so not much to see in the preset xml - I simply removed internet explorer, nothing else.

Firefox is the installed, default browser.

(The actual error dialog is attached as an image}

Attachments

• 2019-01-14_150622.jpg
    2019-01-14_150622.jpg
    62.2 KB
I don`t want to cause any fuss over this issue as this is my (only) working PC and don`t want to be reverting to old disk images back and forth as I`ve been at it all weekend already

There are other problems than this one, so will just leave this post for future reference in case it ever gets fixed.

rev 6510 is working sufficiently for the time being.

Thanks

In Windows 7 image if you remove Internet Explorer then HTML Viewer is also removed. I believe it to be a bug because in Windows 10 it has the expected behavior and HTML Viewer is kept intact. Files such as mshtml.dll, url.dll and ieframe.dll on System32 folder are deleted however they are retained in SysWOW64. Loading the image again with NTLite after the removals is also possible to verify that HTML Viewer is no longer present only HTML Viewer - 32 bit.

And in Windows 10 the extended view registry key is removed when removing Internet Explorer even if you keep HTML Viewer so for example the services.msc description on the left is lost.

A quick workaround to Win10 is to add the following .reg to the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{B708457E-DB61-4C55-A92F-0D4B5E9B1224}]
"NameString"="Extended View"
"NameStringIndirect"="@mmcbase.dll,-14177"

I take the opportunity and report another problem in Windows 7 as well.

Removing NetBIOS over TCP transport does not remove the dependency value from the lmhosts service (TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper) correctly and NetBT remains present so the service can not start correctly. In Windows 10 this is removed.

I mean the value "DependOnService" on the key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\lmhosts

In Windows 7 image if you remove Internet Explorer then HTML Viewer is also removed. I believe it to be a bug because in Windows 10 it has the expected behavior and HTML Viewer is kept intact. Files such as mshtml.dll, url.dll and ieframe.dll on System32 folder are deleted however they are retained in SysWOW64. Loading the image again with NTLite after the removals is also possible to verify that HTML Viewer is no longer present only HTML Viewer - 32 bit.

And in Windows 10 the extended view registry key is removed when removing Internet Explorer even if you keep HTML Viewer so for example the services.msc description on the left is lost.

A quick workaround to Win10 is to add the following .reg to the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{B708457E-DB61-4C55-A92F-0D4B5E9B1224}]
"NameString"="Extended View"
"NameStringIndirect"="@mmcbase.dll,-14177"

Can I create a .reg file based on that and add it to NTLite?

I don`t want to cause any fuss over this issue as this is my (only) working PC and don`t want to be reverting to old disk images back and forth as I`ve been at it all weekend already

There are other problems than this one, so will just leave this post for future reference in case it ever gets fixed.

rev 6510 is working sufficiently for the time being.

Thanks
Btw forgot to reply here, but this should be fixed by now, please try the latest version and let me know if you have any remaining issues.

Thanks.

Back