Trying to get Windows 7 working on ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair Extreme

KaptanJackSparrow

I'm working on my first modern AMD build and all of my installers aren't working with it. my old installations will crash on asstor64.sys (I guess my new board doesn't like the Asmedia 106x SATA Host Controller Driver) new installation attempts make it up to the windows seven boot graphic and freeze. I'm trying to boot using UEFI with secure boot disabled. anyone have any insight on building installers for AMD systems ?

Don't forget WIN-RAID forums.

Thanks I'll check them out too I wouldn't have thought of them since it's not raid related. Just a standard boot.

be prepared that you might not have a choice and will have to go w10.

Well that is always a risk I suppose, the board does support CSM which would imply some degree of backwards compatibility why is it so hard to get the older os's running on it ?

i spent a massive amount of time, and some money, trying to get w7 working on intel 8/9/10th gen, 8 and 9 fairly easy but 10 was a no go ultimately. you may spend a lot of time and get nowhere and i abore time wasted. know when to stop flogging the dead horse and know when you are beaten.

in the end i gave myself time limits, "if i aint got this working in 2 days then balls to it" and finish up.
assemble everything you need, drivers, knowledge, web page bookmarks, go through it all and pick 1 weekend and if you aint done by midnight sunday night pack it in and move on.

its the usb drivers that throw a spanner in the works.

Hmm I could install via a SATA drive if the USB is the main issue I take it that the generic USB 3 drivers don't work on 10th gen ? I had a choice between AMD and 11th gen and I figured the 12th gen would be harder because of the redesigned cores.

some of the intels are big cores only, no little cores. you might have better luck than i did on 10th gen.

or

you sit down and accept that you stand very little chance of getting 7 working, its support is deader than a norwegian blue parrot, and your time will be better spent selecting which windows 10 to use, how to customise it and get on with doing stuff that you have the pc for in the bloody first place.

from this point on listen to what the gamers say.

some of the intels are big cores only, no little cores. you might have better luck than i did on 10th gen.

or

you sit down and accept that you stand very little chance of getting 7 working, its support is deader than a norwegian blue parrot, and your time will be better spent selecting which windows 10 to use, how to customise it and get on with doing stuff that you have the pc for in the bloody first place.
I'm aware of windows 7's death. I have a sort of working copy of Windows 10 Ameliorated running on the system already it's not about getting A operating system it's about getting the one I want.

I'll keep on it for now and any info I can get regarding it is very helpful.

I've not had time yet, we've hit a busy spell at work. I've got some promising leads and I'm still working on it. I'll update when I have more news sorry guys

Update: Using the Windows 7 Testing Iso provided by George King I was successfully able to boot windows 7 on my X570 Chipset in Uefi mode (CSM mode crashes at this time)
X570 chipset? give you lesss than 10% chance...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D it's working. Now comes the driver hunting which from what I have heard are available from the X470 Chipset, fine tuning and making it better *Happy Dance* so yes it is possible I'll provide more updates as I play with this system more and enjoy my Norwegian blue parrot

Big thanks to George king for all the help and tools

btw where is 7 testing iso ?
i am also interested to make win7 run on my latest i7 gen11 laptop.

Because it's George King's Modded Iso it's up to him if he wants to release it to you or publicly. I'm pleased that it's possible and I'm going to keep working on it. in terms of running on an 11th gen I7 my current build is an AMD Ryzen 5950X which will have vastly different drivers as such the version I make or use may or may not work for a system like that.

for your laptop you're for sure going to need the generic usb 3 driver and nvm-e driver both of which are posted on the forms.

Back