Unable to Move, Minimize or Close File Explorer

Heatshiver

I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 x64 from about a week ago and have been making a bunch of changes. I just noticed that when I open up File Explorer I am unable to move the window, nor can I click to minimize or close it from the File Explorer window. I can close it with the Alt+F4 shortcut, or if I right-click on the icon on the taskbar and select the Close option. I also noticed that the top portion of the File Explorer window is nearly white in color.

This does not affect programs, like a browser, if I open it and try to move, minimize, or close it.

I thought there may have been in option in Settings under Explorer that I had changed that would do this, but nothing stands out. Is there a way to get those abilities back?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Os build number?
Have you added tweak reg files?
Would you upload the preset file using the attach files button?

OS Build #: 1809
I do have Reg files, none that pertain to the File Explorer.
I have the preset file, but didn't include it since the point is now moot.

I went back to a previous build before I started changing the Services (Add-on programs and registry tweaks were included, and Components, and Settings were changed). The issue did not appear there.

I used that build to make several new builds while changing options in Settings, and the issue never arose again. I have had sporadic issues with nLite where redoing something does not produce the same results, so I will chalk it up to that for now.

Out of curiosity, is there a place here where users can post persistent bug issues?

Last edited:
If it helps anyone in the future, "Themes" in Services was the reason the aforementioned issues occurred. And if you want to enable or disable the Start (Windows) button, "State Repository Service" will allow or disallow its use.

Have a lok at Themes properties, it may have dependencies and you may be able to split them in the registry. 8.1 gets cranky if you stop it so i dont bother. if you stick with a single theme you may be ok.

Good to know, will have to look into it.

As an addendum to what I have discovered, if you Disable "Display last user name in logon screen" under Privacy of Settings, and have skipped (automated) login through an unattended file, you will get an "Other User" every time post install despite having no other users. Enabling and ensuring your unattended file has a username AND password will ensure that skipping login will always happen.

Hi Heatshiver,
Thanks for the feedback.

Will see if it's recommended to lock those two services from the UI, and the second point about autologon seems by (Windows) design.
If you typed your credentials and it signed in, all is good.

nuhi Wouldnt it be safer just to remove dangerous services from the UI, if people can see it they will fiddle with it even with all protections disabled and running the tool from Power Run. If they change them post 1st logon its pebkac and a lesson learned.

I would say the same with those extra services, users can easily find and test those with Autoruns then use reggies on the Registry page later on.

Back