Unable to Set Installation Location on Newest Version of NTLite

KaptanJackSparrow

Hi it seems that there is no way of setting the installation location of ntlite on the newest version. it seems to automatically detect the location of an old installation and default to installing it there. there's no option to change it and it doesn't even really tell you where its installing except for watching the log as it's doing it if you can read it fast enough.

Can we please add the option to specify the installation location ? I really hate it when software behaves like this as there can be many reasons of why you may want to install it somewhere else.

Forgot to say - you can't change install if you installed NTL.
Just uninstall and then use the portable version - you're free to go for any install dir you prefere.

Forgot to say - you can't change install if you installed NTL.
Just uninstall and then use the portable version - you're free to go for any install dir you prefere.
Yes once installed you don't get that screen. That's the problem.
I suppose I could uninstall and reinstall in portable mode etc however I feel that applications should always give you the choice of where to install. if ntlite is already installed you're not given that option in either portable mode or installer mode.

I think installed (not portable) it have to write to reg for uninstall and that's the diffence. Just use portable version - you don't have the problem - and btw it's not a problem as most installed programs behave the way.

That's not an install, it's an upgrade. Isn't that how most applications handle detecting a previous install?
most applications will highlight the location of the previously installed product and ask you to confirm or change it before installing Ntlite just zips along without any interaction. I felt it was unexpected. I'm assuming it's grabbing a registry key of the last install location and installing over top of whatever else is there. If no key is found then it presumably asks (hopefully)either way I think this is bad design the user should always have the final say and be shown what's about to happen.

I can also see bugs arising if in the unlikely case that something goes wrong with this auto detection process.

Again, that's the normal way Windows programs are expected to behave. You picked a non-portable install the first time. Find me a real-life example of an installable program which follows your expectation.

There's no bugs in auto-detection, everything is in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NTLite_is1

Again, that's the normal way Windows programs are expected to behave. You picked a non-portable install the first time. Find me a real-life example of an installable program which follows your expectation.

There's no bugs in auto-detection, everything is in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NTLite_is1

Most applications from portable apps behave this way in that they confirm the upgrade and installation path, same is true of many games if you reinstall them over top of an existing installation. prompting the user is the way it should be done even if it often isn't the case.
what if you wish to test and have multiple versions installed simultaneously having Ntlite pick and auto update the wrong version is annoying. what if the path points to somewhere that doesn't exist or you don't have write access.
even if it isn't technically a bug and is a feature by design I still feel that prompting the user is the right way to do it.

Most applications from portable apps behave this way in that they confirm the upgrade and installation path, same is true of many games if you reinstall them over top of an existing installation. prompting the user is the way it should be done even if it often isn't the case.
what if you wish to test and have multiple versions installed simultaneously having Ntlite pick and auto update the wrong version is annoying. what if the path points to somewhere that doesn't exist or you don't have write access.
even if it isn't technically a bug and is a feature by design I still feel that prompting the user is the right way to do it.
I did experience what you claim in the PortableApps launcher, BUT only if the launcher is closed before the download finishes.
It also auto-updates the same location normally.

For me the portable app itself is not a dedicated downloader, that's what browsers are for.
I find it convenient that the tool automatically updates what was running, not actually confusing by updating another location or asking unnecessary questions like should I duplicate myself.
The tool is running, thus it has an admin and write access.

If you meant the installer only, in the non-portable way, it had write access once, if you want to clean the (un)installer, uninstall it and redo, as stated before.

We don't have to convince each other, your feedback is appreciated anyway.

I did experience what you claim in the PortableApps launcher, BUT only if the launcher is closed before the download finishes.
It also auto-updates the same location normally.

For me the portable app itself is not a dedicated downloader, that's what browsers are for.
I find it convenient that the tool automatically updates what was running, not actually confusing by updating another location or asking unnecessary questions like should I duplicate myself.
The tool is running, thus it has an admin and write access.

If you meant the installer only, in the non-portable way, it had write access once, if you want to clean the (un)installer, uninstall it and redo, as stated before.

We don't have to convince each other, your feedback is appreciated anyway.
Ultimately it's your software product so it's totally your call. I did encounter an issue where the software updater didn't update the correct instance of Ntlite because there was a registry key for an installed version in another location so the update from within the application itself didn't work because it was saving the data somewhere else. Using the browser to download the stand alone installer yielded the same results this was confusing and because the install path wasn't shown and confirmed with me it took time to figure out that it was updating a parallel install of ntlite instead of the one I was running. So I felt that this should be brought to your attention.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

I hope I don't muddy this, but I've been following this thread, and I just wanted to comment on a few things I think are important since I've seen this issue come up a few times now.

I've been searching the forum and reading a lot of posts and I've come across a few threads like these, where someone is making a suggestion/complaint or asking a question, and although it might not be intended, the feedback sometimes comes off in a negative light, as if the original poster is being talked down to.

I realize we have a lot of non-native english speakers here, and that's where a good bit of it comes from (lost in translation), plus emotion doesn't translate well into text either... But there are statements in this thread that are less than friendly.

It doesn't matter if a suggestion/complaint is good or bad, people shouldn't be left feeling like they want to leave the community when the thread ends, especially because that only hurts NTLite in the end, which then affects ALL of us--more consumers using NTLite means it grows faster. Instead of quoting replies in this thread, let me point to an older one instead:

https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...-taskbar-too-to-the-tweak-sections-nuhi.2808/

The title in that thread made sense to me, I didn't really see a problem, except that it could have been put into the body rather than the title, and cleaned up a bit. Yet the thread turned into a dumpster fire, and then that member left and hasn't logged in since. How much money is NTLite going to make from that guy now? Let me reiterate how this affects all of us--more purchases means more time and personnel can be devoted to growing NTLite, which we all use.

Anyway, I went and replicated the install issue that is being discussed here. I downloaded NTLite to install to my C: drive, and 1st I did a non-portable install. Then I ran the installer again and chose Portable this time. It does indeed skip the install location screen. Should it be added? I don't know, since I'm not a Windows developer. I don't know how hard/easy that is to do, I know refactoring can be a real bitch when I worked on MUDs, but I know nothing about executables.

Hopefully I can help clarify a little bit between NTLite and the OP and help refine the suggestion--NTLite could address this suggestion by simply detecting the old install path and then having the next screen say "A previous install has been detected, do you want to update that install, or install to a new location?" And then if you click "new" it allows you to save that portable install to another drive, like the D: drive for example.

Arguing about it though isn't productive, and the arguments on the forum aren't always logical either. Just because every other app nowadays has micro transactions, doesn't mean it's a good idea. So just because some/most/all other apps do something a certain way, doesn't mean it's how it should be done either.

TLDR: If a suggestion is decent, but may be more work than it's worth, or just doesn't have a lot of user or developer support behind it, put it on a tabled list of ideas, thank the person for their feedback by simply hitting the like button so they know someone acknowledged it, and move on. Honestly there wasn't a need for anyone other than Nuhi to read/comment on this thread if you really think about it, since the OP wasn't asking for support assistance... I'm genuinely not trying to argue or make this thread go on any longer, it would probably be best to lock it. I'm not going to reply to any other replies, not because I mean anything negative by that choice, but rather I just want us all to move forward. Thank you for listening.

It doesn't matter if a suggestion/complaint is good or bad, people shouldn't be left feeling like they want to leave the community when the thread ends, especially because that only hurts NTLite in the end, which then affects ALL of us--more consumers using NTLite means it grows faster. Instead of quoting replies in this thread, let me point to an older one instead:

,,,,,,,www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/with-ntlite-we-can-disable-unpin-pin-can-you-add-remove-unpin-edge-fileexplorer-from-taskbar-too-to-the-tweak-sections-nuhi.2808/
that user got snotty when someone other than nuhi tried to help him.

When you post a message on this board, it's open for other comments. If you prefer to have a private conversation, then use PM's.

I agree as a community we should welcome everyone, but many one-time posters are too frustrated by their lack of knowledge. The first rule taught in customer service is always allow someone to have their say. What happens afterwards depends on whether they're willing to work with others to resolve their problem.

Whether it's by someone teaching them, finding a new solution or maybe a NTLite product change.

Hopefully I can help clarify a little bit between NTLite and the OP and help refine the suggestion--NTLite could address this suggestion by simply detecting the old install path and then having the next screen say "A previous install has been detected, do you want to update that install, or install to a new location?" And then if you click "new" it allows you to save that portable install to another drive, like the D: drive for example...
That's exactly how I feel the program should react to detecting an existing installation and I think it would be nice if it did. I initially thought it was a bug that it didn't behave that way. I am a native English speaker but you were able to explain it far better than I did. Thanks for taking the time to add on to this thread :)

Back