Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) error message in a driver

Windows 10 User

When I go to the Device Manager and USB Controllers (Universal Serial Bus) in it I have a "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" error message in a driver which I can't even find out its Hardware ID to try to download and manually install it. Windows Update doesn't detect it and no matter what I do I can't install it without this problem (I followed all the mentioned steps here but to no avail). I tried installing Windows 10 x64 in another partition and I also have this problem.

EDIT: It looks like I also have this problem after installing Windows 10 x64 using an untouched image. Weird.

Last edited:
Dodgy usb port and or dodgy USB device either way my experiences with that error it never ends well, everytime I have had that error it has been hardware problem,

Yeah, that happens if:
  • USB device is defect (I have a USB stick as such that was plugged into TV and router, one of those two reduced its lifespan)
  • using a too long or low quality cable, or you're trying to plug it into the front panel which is the same issue with the cable, just the cable is hidden through the case to the motherboard.

So try plugging it directly on the back of the motherboard, whatever it is, and if it has its own cable, try another, shorter/newer.

Yeah, that happens if:
  • USB device is defect (I have a USB stick as such that was plugged into TV and router, one of those two reduced its lifespan)
  • using a too long or low quality cable, or you're trying to plug it into the front panel which is the same issue with the cable, just the cable is hidden through the case to the motherboard.
So try plugging it directly on the back of the motherboard, whatever it is, and if it has its own cable, try another, shorter/newer.

I don't know how to do that but isn't it weird the fact that anything I connect to any USB port works?

Sometimes that error is related to missing Card Reader drivers, could be another device detected as USB.

I might have a solution. Switch of the pc.... unplug the power cord and press power to drain power supply and leave off for about 5 minutes. Plug power cord back in and boot to windows and check if usb error is still there. I have found that for some bios's cause a cache stuck or bios cache overflow causing this issue. If this is not it.......let me know then we try something else

Checkdisk the drive first, if no errors then it should be ok. Modern windows is pretty good at clearing out caache of old drives so uninstall the drive from Device Manager, leave pc on for 5, give it 10 minutes to sort itsself out, turn off. Wait 5 minutes and restart, wait 5 minutes and pluf the drive back in so windows can install the drivver. Unplugging doesnt uninstall the device.

Last edited:
Go to this link in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Now be careful deleting them. Read the image I am supplying. I export this whole reg key and import it with a new install. All my flash drives are market alphabetically so if I shove a drive in then it is allocated to the drive letter market on it, the same with my hard drives.

Don't worry if you delete the wrong key. These are only for drive allocation and windows will recreate them on system boot if they are missing.....it might screw up the C Drive if you have more than one drive......SO don't delete the C Drive

Attachments

• Registry Drives.jpg
    Registry Drives.jpg
    391.8 KB
That is correct. My drives are allocated in different label numbers with new install....meaning 3=c, 2=e, 1=f and 0=d....this reg change the drive letter to 0=c, 1=d, 2=e and 3=f....with out having to go change them in the device manager.

There is one downside to this so far...if you run out of drive letters then it tend to screw up the usb data if you plug in a usb device that is not allocated

We are looking the wrong way at this....Windows 10 User has a failure on the usb port....not the usb plugged into it. Thus it is only driver, drive sector failure, firmware failure, bios failure or a windows install failure

Sorry for only answering now but I still have this problem. What is weird is the fact that for two times I didn't have it and it showed up afterwards.

You don't know how to do what?

Connect it to the motherboard.

Sometimes that error is related to missing Card Reader drivers, could be another device detected as USB.

Well, I have a Realtek PCIE CardReader driver and it has no problems.

I might have a solution. Switch of the pc.... unplug the power cord and press power to drain power supply and leave off for about 5 minutes. Plug power cord back in and boot to windows and check if usb error is still there. I have found that for some bios's cause a cache stuck or bios cache overflow causing this issue. If this is not it.......let me know then we try something else

Checkdisk the drive first, if no errors then it should be ok. Modern windows is pretty good at clearing out caache of old drives so uninstall the drive from Device Manager, leave pc on for 5, give it 10 minutes to sort itsself out, turn off. Wait 5 minutes and restart, wait 5 minutes and pluf the drive back in so windows can install the drivver. Unplugging doesnt uninstall the device.

Tried it and it didn't work (chkdsk stops at scanning the C drive 10%).

Go to this link in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Now be careful deleting them. Read the image I am supplying. I export this whole reg key and import it with a new install. All my flash drives are market alphabetically so if I shove a drive in then it is allocated to the drive letter market on it, the same with my hard drives.

Don't worry if you delete the wrong key. These are only for drive allocation and windows will recreate them on system boot if they are missing.....it might screw up the C Drive if you have more than one drive......SO don't delete the C Drive

I might as well not try that because it may screw this even more.

We are looking the wrong way at this....Windows 10 User has a failure on the usb port....not the usb plugged into it. Thus it is only driver, drive sector failure, firmware failure, bios failure or a windows install failure

Is it normal in these situations to have no problems with the USB devices? How can I know what is the problem?

Last edited:
did you try this....

I might have a solution. Switch of the pc.... unplug the power cord and press power to drain power supply and leave off for about 5 minutes. Plug power cord back in and boot to windows and check if usb error is still there. I have found that for some bios's cause a cache stuck or bios cache overflow causing this issue.

Back