Updates and photo app don't work

I removed some things with ntlite but when opening the photo app it immediately closes. Also the updates dont work, they always got an error. I did a similar removal the two last months and I could never update.

I ask about updates because you said you reworked it so updates would break less now, but they never worked for me.

I attach the last log I made. The key is a generic one.

Problem is probably everything :D you deleted everything... i had a smilar preset when i first started editing from time to time you see you cannot delete %99 of things if u don't want errors..

Problem is probably everything :D you deleted everything... i had a smilar preset when i first started editing from time to time you see you cannot delete %99 of things if u don't want errors..

I didnt remove that much. Most of the things are the languages and the "remove and privacy" section, but i checked all recommended boxes. I also removed some "random" stuff but not much because I didnt want to break stuff and have to investigate.

Usually I wouldnt say anything but nuhi said that he reworked the engine, that it took at ton of work and months, so that we could remove components but be able to apply updates, but it didnt work for me.

Im curious about the picture viewer app cause it opens for a second then closes, but that second you can see the image, it seems to work.

The problem could be RPC Locator.

I don't think ActiveX installer, provisioning or webclient could be related.

@fishingfish, so I have tried on a fresh Spanish ISO 16299.19, your preset, installed, Photos works, installed SS KB4054022 and CU KB4051963, works.

In conclusion can you please retry with the latest version 1.5.0.5790, and make sure to use a non-cleaned ISO, as I see from the preset 16299.64 potentially integrated + cleaned with the older tool version?
This comment applies only if you used an older version to even just clean updates, while if you just had just integrated updates to it without update cleanup or removals, then it is the best starting point.
To replicate exact scenario for which I don't have the time since the extreme one (rtm lite -> latest CU) worked, you can re-integrate .64 KB4048955, apply your preset, install, then try to install .98 KB4051963 in a VM.

Let me know how it went, there was an important fix in 1.5 release, but there is a slim chance that .64->.98 is a bit special.

Thanks.

Im not sure what to do. If I test again, it would be with the last update, not with the previous, so I wont be able to test if it can update.

As you said I slightly modified the iso previously but all I did was to integrate the updates so I could save the image, then work from it, since integrating the updates takes the most time. I attach the log of the previous session to the one I attached in the main post. Could you check it to see if there is something obvious that I shouldnt do? No need to test it, just check it.

Thanks

Im not sure what to do. If I test again, it would be with the last update, not with the previous, so I wont be able to test if it can update.

Ya intentaste no remover RPC (Remote Procedure Call) Locator?

RPC Locator is needed by too many programs.

You need to add this important update:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._da67baa74c09ad949d90823b25531731c3211184.msu

If you add the 2 updates listed in your preset, KB*45 will be listed in red, use analyze button and you will know.

@fishingfish, in that last preset I don't see anything weird, it just integrates updates. But careful about update cleanup, it's always best be done with removals so you use latest engine to clean it, and keep your integrated updates base ISO copy without tampering at all.
And update to the latest version of course.

@Kasual, RPC Locator is a legacy service, which does nothing on Vista and newer, please read its description.

I made another attempt with the new updates and the latest ntlite and it seems to work. This time I unchecked "clean update backup" the first time, tho I also removed several different things and it could work because of this.

Back