UWF Issue (LTSC 2021)

Sliver X

Last year I built a preset for Windows 10 LTSC 2021 and have been using the resulting OS on several machines.

Since I remove Windows Update, I typically do semi-annual rebuilds of install media with current updates, and this time decided to upgrade NTLite itself from 2.3.6.8804 to 2023.7.9371.

The image built fine, but during installation I was getting unsupported hardware errors. Looking at the setup logs in Panther, I saw the following:

"LaunchModule: Could not load DLL C:\Windows\System32\wbem\uwfwmi.dll"

Which was causing Sysprep to fail during setup. UWF is enabled in the preset and the needed files for it are present inside install.wim and on the OS drive at the point of failure.

I've used three different releases of LTSC 2021 (All from the MS VL portal) and the problem manifests with all of them.

I can get the preset to work as expected by removing UWF as a component, but I do use it on occasion so it would be nice to have. Not sure what may be happening.

I've attached the NTLite log generated during the creation of the problematic image, along with the preset itself. If there's any other logs/etc I can provide please let me know.

Attachments

• NTLite.log
    118.9 KB
  • Nano10.xml
    63.8 KB
Last edited:
I have no clue, but try restoring the File Trace MiniFilter component and see if that makes any difference.

uwfwmi.dll is listed under the monthly CU's file contents, any newer version of that file is part of the installed updates.

Back