VP9 Video Extensions app problem

Windows 10 User

The video playback feature on the Settings app has a link that states to download HDR video codecs and when I click it I'm redirected to the Microsoft Store to download the VP9 Video Extensions app. After running the Microsoft Store, strangely it states the product is already installed but it automatically starts downloading it. After it's installed, the video playback feature on the Settings app still has the link that states to download HDR video codecs and when I click it I'm redirected to the Microsoft Store to download the VP9 Video Extensions app.

I used a 19041.1 Enterprise x64 pt-pt image.

Attachments

• Captura de Ecrã (2).png
    Captura de Ecrã (2).png
    413.9 KB
  • preset.xml
    31.5 KB
Last edited:
Microsoft Movie player? Who in the 21st century uses this sh*t?
Try:
"MPC-BE" + "K-Lite Codec Pack"

If you are having codec issue just install codec pack like everyone else. you dont need those modern app sh*t, https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Doesn't VLC come with codecs so one doesn't have to install codec packs if using it? Anyway, I shouldn't have this problem even with WMP removed and VLC or other programs not installed.

I now recall that I removed Intel Indeo Codecs and Video Compression Manager (VCM) codecs with NTLite because it stated they were obsolete and contained known vulnerabilities. Maybe that's what caused this issue? What will I lose if I remove them but install a program like VLC? I also removed MPEG-2 Splitter with NTLite so maybe it was this removal which caused this issue and not the removal of the previous components (or maybe the removal of all three of these or two of these ones)?

EDIT: I removed all three of these and I didn't have this problem.

Last edited:
VLC has some codecs that suits most of the media formats out there. VLC is not GOD. you need codec pack with any player. bsplayer has more codec than vlc by default but still even bsplayer needs some codes. why would anyone remove codecs from a iso anyways? what is the point..... stop removing too much... you are just making yourself busy with troubleshooting 7/24 in your life.

WMP and LAVfilter codec pack covers 99% of all audio/ video playback in Windows with the smallest footprint. But coz of Windows Mediafoundation limited features it sometimes happen, that WMP can't play a file. For that you can bypass Windows mediafoundation codecs to the appropiate codec with this little nifty tool witch comes as a part of K-LITE called Codec Tweak Tool. It can be downloaded from here https://www.videohelp.com/software/Codec-Tweak-Tool
Missing subtitles in WMP? With VSfilter (same they use in MPC) from here https://www.videohelp.com/software/VSFilter-DirectVobSub WMP show subtitles on videos right out of the box.

Seen a similar of not the same issue when searching for Netflix compatibility, which exists.
Once enabled, it protects these
"PlayReady"
"Background Transfer"
"Media Foundation"

I believe in your preset is just PlayReady, so try keeping that.

Then unrelated to NTLite directly, don't disable WindowsMediaPlayer in Features on Demand, because it may uninstall codecs you need, I don't have control over what Windows disables there.

Let us know if it's in these two, if not, then I can try that next preset.

VLC has some codecs that suits most of the media formats out there. VLC is not GOD. you need codec pack with any player. bsplayer has more codec than vlc by default but still even bsplayer needs some codes. why would anyone remove codecs from a iso anyways? what is the point..... stop removing too much... you are just making yourself busy with troubleshooting 7/24 in your life.

NTLite said they were obsolete and contained vulnerabilities so what's the problem in removing them?

Seen a similar of not the same issue when searching for Netflix compatibility, which exists.
Once enabled, it protects these
"PlayReady"
"Background Transfer"
"Media Foundation"

I believe in your preset is just PlayReady, so try keeping that.

Then unrelated to NTLite directly, don't disable WindowsMediaPlayer in Features on Demand, because it may uninstall codecs you need, I don't have control over what Windows disables there.

Let us know if it's in these two, if not, then I can try that next preset.

Ok, I'll try keeping removing PlayReady only to see if I have this issue. Do I need WMP when I have VLC?

Last edited:
No, VLC has codecs in it - but it's the only one with access to them, so it's up to you if you need Windows Media Codecs for other apps, I don't.

Could you name some built-in Windows apps that need codecs? Also, if needing codecs for other apps, should I keep Windows Media Player on the Components tab as well as WMP on FOD or just the latter?

EDIT: So, I only removed PlayReady and I still had this issue.

EDIT 2: I no longer have this issue with the attached preset.

Attachments

• preset.xml
    30.6 KB
Last edited:
Back