W11 Is it possible to remove the new Default Apps?

DMD61

Good morning I'm using the Build 22000.160
For the moment you can't delete these default apps?
Thanks

Screenshot-001.png

nuhi will add support for them in the future when win11 is more stable. i think afaik from he is telling me, he is focused on more important things for now. but he has a long list of to do's, wait patiently. i'm waiting for it too but he is a single human being doing tons of works on his own in his limited time.

dont forget that windows 11 is still at the preview stage, nothing has been finalised yet so have a little patience.

Yes yes of course, I'm not in a hurry.
Mine was just a question for knowledge purposes, for me W10 still has a long life.
I'm sure there will be a solution to this when nuhi will have time to devote himself to the question.

To disable these before install on an image, try the options in Settings for it, disable:
"Pre-installed apps"
"Automatically install suggested apps"
"Pre-installed OEM apps"
"Automatic installation of sponsored apps (Consumer Experience)"
"Occasionally show suggestions in Start"

Individual removal after install should be in the normal Apps list on the Components page, that list is dynamically read, before install those apps do not exist, only as the settings mentioned above.

Test environment:
* On VirtualBox 6.1.26 (Latest) On Win10 Host (Latest)
* 4 Tests Total Online/Offline Installation On Both Vanilla And Edited (Edited With Latest NTLite Alpha Build)
* 2 Screenshots From Each Test (One From Right After Reaching Desktop, One From After Updating Windows On Dev Channel)
* Used Latest Windows 11 Pro Downloaded From UUP Dump
(22000.176.210825-1709.CO_RELEASE_SVC_PROD2_CLIENTPRO_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US.iso)

Individual removal after install should be in the normal Apps list on the Components page, that list is dynamically read, before install those apps do not exist, only as the settings mentioned above.
You were right, the startmenu is almost empty on even vanilla installation BUT ONLY if you make offline installation

First Test Vanilla ISO Offline Installation

Screenshot 1: Build 22000.176 taken right after seeing desktop.
1630941639437.png

Screenshot 2: Build 22449.1000 taken right after completing windows update on dev channel enrolled by abbodi's script.
163094613320567.png

Second Test Vanilla ISO Online Installation
Screenshot 1: Build 22000.176 taken right after seeing desktop. (Much more apps than edited online installation's start menu, this one has seccond page of apps)
1630946133203.png
Screenshot 2: Build 22449.1000 taken right after completing windows update on dev channel enrolled by abbodi's script.

16309461312347.png

Third Test Edited ISO Offline Installation
Note: Teams, Chats, Widgets couldn't be removed or disabled or set to be hidden since ntlite doesn't support them... :(

These were disabled on edited ntlite as preset shows. (Attached)
"Pre-installed apps"
"Pre-installed OEM apps"

Screenshot 1: Build 22000.176 taken right after seeing desktop. (Startmenu is completely ugly, but at least clean)
1630942056118.png

(Windows Securty + Defender + Edge Reinstall Status After Update: Everthing installed back like it was not edited with ntlite)

1630952202964.png

Fourth Test Edited ISO Online Installation
Note: Teams, Chats, Widgets couldn't be removed or disabled or set to be hidden since ntlite doesn't support them... :(

These were disabled on edited ntlite as preset shows. (Attached)
"Pre-installed apps"
"Pre-installed OEM apps"

Screenshot 1: Build 22000.176 taken right after seeing desktop. (Supposed to be clean but its full of apps but still less than vanilla online installation's start menu. So i assume only these apps will come if you are doing online installations. Others can/should be removed via NTLite)
1630942926357.png

(Windows Securty + Defender + Edge Reinstall Status After Update: Everthing installed back like it was not edited with ntlite)

16304642964.png

Result: As seen from tests, if you make offline installation you get minimal modern apps or none (If iso is edited). After updates every app gets installed back... Some apps as nuhi said before only installed during online setup but they also come back when you update your OS.

Attachments

• Windows 11.xml
    13.4 KB
Last edited:
Such fun with the way Micro$oft is doing things now. Makes my job more difficult stripping out the garbage that is put in. I am going to try the Enterprise (business editions) 22454 build and switch key to PRO after stripping out all the editions except for Enterprise. I have been doing this for a while with W10 to keep our Pro Retail / oem clients from getting a lot of the crap, but some of the updates really do seem to have more than you expect built in.

User: "It's cool there are a lots of bulit in apps in Win 11 but I don't need 90% of them so I edit my iso to get rid of them"
MS: "I put it back, give it a try. Really good apps"
User: "I use alternative apps, so I use a script to remove them."
MS: "Okay, I put them back so you can try them later"
:rolleyes:

This is a good future. Let's force online account in the final release and Win 11 is a good example how a user friendly, customizable, easy to acces OS should NEVER look like!
You force to do what MS wants you to do and this is :mad:bull$%*÷

Edit: Or online account bypass is patched too?

You force to do what MS wants you to do and this is
they force defender on me and in the time honoured anglo saxon fashion i give them the archers salute. the solution may not be perfect but dracula will never rise from his coffin again. disabling defender breaks setup(1809) so i have to deal with it post setup. a real pi--er but i have to reboot after tweaking anyway. its a middling annoyance at best.

Last edited:
I just delete every folder, driver, dll that is connected to Defender in any way.
Its a joke. The antivirus that is harder to delete than a ransomware. When I use a normie PC for just a minute and I see a Defender pop-up I almost ask how many BTC they need? Kappa

i wonder if we are going to be able to remove or block those apps i tested above, since they don't exist on iso. any news about this issue nuhi ?

if it can be overcomed by placing custom taskbar and startmenu layout (blank one) can we have it as option in ntlite?

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same problem with build 22621.575 and 22622.575 ... How can I remove all these apps pre-installed via NTLite and in which they cannot be reinstalled after some updates ??

THIS PROCEDURE ONLY TAKES EFFECT IN THE CHOSEN USER SECTION.
reference from the blog: https://medium.com/@MrNick4B/deploy-a-customized-windows-11-start-menu-8832d90b25b1
To avoid having third-party app icons not installed, you can set the start menu with the desired apps.

Senza-titulo-1.png

Go to the path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState
Copy the file "start.bin," or use the file "Export start.bin.bat."
This file must then be copied to the same location when creating the custom ISO.
Or enter the file "MenuStart_Custom.exe" into RunOceEX.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Back