What would cause Bluetooth not to be able to pair?

Ultimist

I just did a recent build of Windows 10 Pro x64 in which my Bluetooth device shows up fine, the proper drivers are installed automatically, etc., but I can't pair any bluetooth devices at all. I have a set of Bluetooth headphones and a Bluetooth speaker I need to get up and running.

I don't have the preset, but I did a pretty aggressive removal. However, I left everything labeled "Bluetooth" fully intact, so I don't understand why Bluetooth isn't working properly.

Anytime I go into the Add a Bluetooth Device settings, it immediately switches to the "Couldn't Connect" screen.

What could I be removing that is stopping Bluetooth devices from being able to pair?

Thanks!

Hi Ultimist

I think there are recent changes that i'd like to troubleshoot.
Last month i found that Infrared devices (in Hardware support) is needed for Bluetooth in Windows 7, but isn't necessary for Windows 10 (1803 tested) but since a week i'm trying to build a 7 slim source.

If you have the source, check if there is de autosaved preset.

Last edited:
Any news yet Ultimist?

I had issues because the drivers needs to be installed, my computer could detect a handsfree bluetooth device and asked to connect, let it to connect to my computer but it didn't work.

Integrating these bluetooth drivers to Windows 7 is not enough because it needs to install a service that installs the drivers to the pairing device. Integrating the bluetooth drivers only makes device manager to show all the drivers are installed, also shows the pairing devices as installed but won't work if i don't install the drivers by running the setup.exe.

Last edited:
I never did figure out the issue. I ended up just going with a much more conservative set of removals. I'm too tired of installing and re-installing windows to try and nail down the issue. I was leaving all drivers and hardware support untouched, yet Bluetooth pairing wouldn't work. I did an experiment where I installed full Windows 10 x64 Pro and then did my usual set of removals on a live Windows AFTER pairing my Bluetooth devices. The ones I already paired still worked, but after the removals, Windows could not detect or pair with any new Bluetooth devices. Not sure what the problem is, but it seems something else is linked to full Bluetooth functionality that isn't expressly marked as such in the removals.

Ultimist, next time you get an issue like this, please attach the preset and allow me to debug it.
Also I hope you know about the Host Refresh tool, simplifies reinstalling - not that you need to debug it in the first place.

I had issues because the drivers needs to be installed, my computer could detect a handsfree bluetooth device and asked to connect, let it to connect to my computer but it didn't work.
Same here with 1809, hope Kasual found component should be keep.

Same here with 1809, hope Kasual found component should be keep.
Had you tried to keep Infrared devices in Hardware Compatibility (that solved Bt in Win 7)?

Also, i had used the installer, installing from device manager didn't worked.

Back