What you need to disable Windows updates?

Nekonaro

Good afternoon, can anyone tell me which services or tasks are related to Windows updates? I.e., what does it take to disable Windows updates?

In my search I came across this (Services):
Delivery Optimisation - \DoSvc
Microsoft Store Installtion Service - \InstallService
Update Orchestrator Service - \UsoSvc
Windows Update - \wuauserv
Windows Update Medic Service - \WaaSMedicSvc
Windows Insider Service - \wisvc
Background Intelligent Transfer Service - \BITS
Updateability from CSM - \upfc
Microsoft Update Health Service - \uhssvc
Orchestrator Service actualization - \ossrs

There is also a "MoUSO Core Worker Process" which cancels all changes related to "windows update" (if any)

But I also found a way to disable updates without resorting to all this:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=dword:00000001
"DisableWindowsUpdateAccess»=dword:00000001
"WUServer"="localhost"
"WUStatusServer"="localhost"
"UpdateServiceUrlAlternate"="localhost"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
This method consists of specifying a local non-existent WSUS update server to which the update service will fail to connect. (At least this works on w10 21h1)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

As far as I know, the existing option in NTLite - load image - Settings - Windows Update, set to Disable should be it on Win11, might also work on Win10.

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as I know, the existing option in NTLite - load image - Settings - Windows Update, set to Disable should be it on Win11, might also work on Win10.
Tell me if there is a way to prevent the update service from starting itself, for example, delete the scheduler tasks.

Tell me if there is a way to prevent the update service from starting itself, for example, delete the scheduler tasks.
That would block too many things if done before install and Windows activation.
You can try, make sure to disable/remove the Windows Update Medic service as well.
Potentially skip OOBE in Unattended settings for it to not trigger post-setup forced Windows Update.

Btw also can remove Windows Update component (separate from WU service) and use NTLite to install updates on C:\Windows.
Keep Servicing stack compatibility enabled, and Windows Update service not removed.
That way even if WU service gets enabled somehow, it should not go far without all of its underlying services.

Back