Will DISM Compatible wipe out previous updates when Cumulative Update Previews are integrated?

RobertX

I came across a Cumulative Update Preview, namely KB5034204.

If I integrate this into my image, will previous Cumulative updates, ones that are not Previews, be deleted by the DISM Compatible setting?

There are two answers to this question:

1. Monthly Updates and Monthly Previews leapfrog each other as replacements.
Any one of them replaces all previous instances of both Monthly or Preview updates.​
Normal practice is to stick with Patch Tuesday, unless you need early access to known Preview features.​

Jan 2024 Patch Tuesday​
late Jan 2024​
Feb 2024 Patch Tuesday​
late Jan 2024​
Mar 2024 Patch Tuesday​
Jan 2024 Monthly ->​
Jan 2024 Monthly Preview ->​
Feb 2024 Monthly ->​
Feb 2024 Monthly Preview ->​
Mar 2024 Monthly​

2. DISM Compatible is the cleanup option offered by W7 releases, it will remove superseded (replaced) files but leave both the original image version and the last updated version of the files. This allows to you uninstall the last update if needed.

DISM ResetBase is the cleanup option offered by W8.1 and later releases. It will remove all superseded files, including the original version, and leave the last updated version as the only one. The name comes from "reset the base version", because the last update becomes the new starting point.​

Preview Updates are really intended for IT staff and QA folks to get early access before the next Monthly arrives.

Many groups have security policies that require installing Monthly CU's as soon as possible. Having the Preview, which is essentially the next month's CU a few weeks early, is useful for compatibility testing. It's better to find out early, and ask for a policy delay, instead of rolling out the Monthly and finding it killed your apps.

Back