Win 8.1 KB5004296 won't integrate error

jvidal

Hi! since MS released a new cumm. update in the form of KB5004296, I decided to re-create my updated installation image.
I did the same I always do, but this time I got some errors integrating KB5004296 and KB5003537 (this is really strange, sice I have succesfully integrated this update on previous occassions).
The only difference from the last time I did the whole process is the replacement of KB5004237 with KB5004296. Everything else is the same.
The errors are:
0x80070057' [87] The parameter is incorrect .' Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.1145
0x80070057' [87] The parameter is incorrect .' default
0x80070057' [87] The parameter is incorrect .' KB5003537 - .Net Framework Actualizar (poor translation from ".Net Framework Update")

The updates I'm integrating are:
KB4589212-v2 (intel microcode updt)
KB4598481 (SSU)
those two integrate OK

KB5003537 (NDP48)
KB5004296 (LCU)
These last two won't integrate.

Could it be that this LCU doesn't like it if the SSU is integrated? I had no problem with previous LCUs and the other updates.

What could be happening?
Using NTLite 2.1.2.8074 under win81 x64.
I'm using a clean, unmodified 21H1 Source as base for the integration (like I always do)

Last edited:
Confirmed the issue as described under Win 8.1 RTM (no updates to the host - installing updates now).
Something about MSI.DLL not supporting offline integration with the latest Win10 servicing stack.

Did you update that 8.1 host to the latest updates?
If so, then Microsoft abandoned it, or it's a temporary bug in the servicing stack.

Maybe time to update that host, or install Win10 in a virtual machine, integrate inside, then copy back the resulting ISO.

I'll post if I manage to workaround this.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, nuhi.
I'll check the update status on the host, but it should be fully updated.
I don't think MS abandoned it, it is supported until 2023.
And I really don't wanna update it to W10, W10 is a freaking resource hog (HUGE memory usage and almost non-stop disk activity, what a piece of crap it is (unfortunately, I need it))!!!
Also, runing NTLite inside a VM is really not an option, it takes long enough on a real machine, it woud take forever inside a VM

They allowed broken Win10 update integration in Win7 for a long time before it was officially abandoned.
So in this case let's hope the next servicing pack updates fixes this issue, otherwise will have to warn users like it did for Win7.

Keep me updated, especially if you see that the limitation can be bypassed.
Check the next tool update on Tuesday, huge speedup for integration. Same limitation though, tried both.

Ok, so I checked the update status of the w81 host, it's up to date.
Tried the process again, but excluding KB4598481, same result. no luck.
Maybe updating the host to w10 is the only solution?
Maybe updating the Windows ADK package could help?

update: I installed the windows deployment tools, which installed DISM.exe version 10.0.19041.1 (in \program files\windows kits... though, not in \windows\system32), but still no luck.

thanks, I'll give it a try!
BTW, I believe that the last SSU outside of a CU was KB4598481 (which is the one I use). not including an SSU doesn't work, BTW.
4577266 was replaced by: 4586864, 4593175, 4598481 and by several CUs

Last edited:
update:
I tried integrating KB4577266, as you suggested, instead of KB4598481, same result. It doesn't work, same error as before.

more updates:
So I decided to upgrade the host to W10 21H1 19043.1110
After setting up everything for best performance. I tried the process again. The fist time I got a BSOD "DPC Watchdog Violation", don't know why.
After rebooting, I tried again. This time the first two updates integrated correctly.
Now, when it came to KB5004296 it made a very short pass and left it in a "pending" state, then It started doing a second pass (20%...44%...74%...100%) until it ended and left is as "skipped".
KB5003537 was skipped too.
This time the error messages seem to be a lot more helpful.
This is what I got:

Error 0x800736cc '[14028] Un Archivo de componente no coincide con la informacion de comprobacion presentada en el manifiesto del componente.' default
Una o varias de las caracteristicas estan desactivadas de modo que la funcion no se puede activar. KB5003538. .Net Framework Actualizar.

which translates more or less to:

Error 0x800736cc "[14028] A file component doesn't match the checksum information provided in the component's manifest." default
and

"One or more features are disabled so the function can not be activated" .Net Framework Update

What is the next step in solving this mystery???

PD: I'm gonna install the latest preview CU (5004296), version 19.043.1151 on the host and try again.

EDIT: CRAP, now I got another BSOD while trying to install the update. GODDAMN W10, this PC was working as a charm before!!! never BSODs or errors of any kind!!
I'm gonna have to try a clean installation now (what I did was updating from W8 to W10).

Last edited:
Setting up for best performance? Careful there, especially if disabling services while debugging crashes.

When people have BSODs handling image mounts, it's usually an antivirus, could be a driver issue in this case as well, especially as DPC is mentioned.
There is nothing in this tool that can cause BSOD, but the accessing of WIM mounted files can for some reason.

Try temporarily uninstalling any antiviruses you might have.
Any antimalware and similar.

Disk controller, soundcard and network card drivers, maybe reinstall them from manufacturer in case it kept a Win8 version.

Other than that, maybe do a
SFC /scannow
from elevated command line.
And
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reinstall would solve it for sure, but first try the above, should not take long except hunting for drivers.

Btw after all that if you see repeatable issue integrating, stop, and see in %temp%\ntlite_dism.log what it is about exactly.
Lines with "error" infront.
Paste here.

It's also possible to check on BSOD DMP files for pin-pointing which driver might be causing it etc.

Hi!
I suspect the DPC watchdog BSOD might be video card related. it' s a pretty old Radeon HD 4670, which Is not officially supported under W10 (although WU installed a driver automatically for it). I left the PC running memetest-86 all night, just in case.
the first BSOD (DPC watchdog) was caused by ntoskrnl.exe, according to BlueScreenView tool.
BTW, this PC has no antivirus, defender disabled as well. It's a PC I have set up especially for this tasks (disk cloning, Running NTLite, testing hardware, etc), it's not my main PC.
The secong BSOD I got while trying to install the LCU (KB5004296) was "memory management", that's why I ran memtest-86.
But, like I said,, this PC was working perfectly before this problem started (especially before upgrading to w10!!)

On the other hand, Not even upgrading to W10 helped with the integration of KB5004296, what do you make of that????

regards!

How much RAM do you have, maybe it spent all if it's 4GB and under with that second crash?

I'm confused, how can you test without upgrading if already upgraded?
Maybe the 8.1 host wasn't updated before, or the old servicing stack worked?

Let me know what you figure out happened, it's interesting to automate that.

hi!
16GB Quad core Phenom II X4 945.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Win81 was fully updated.
I upgraded Win81 to Win10, but still Ntlite wouldn't integrate KB5004296 (now running on W10)

Besides that, I needed to install KB5004297 on the host (but that crashed. now I'm installing it thru WU and it seems to be working).

update: KB5004296 seems to have installed correctly on the host (it's rebooting right now)
Now, with a fully updated Win10 21H1 host, I'm gonna try again to integrate KB5004296 with NTLite (which is the original problem that started all this)
it just occurred to me that maybe the .msu package for KB5004296 could be corrupted. I'll re-download it.
edit: no, the hash matches, the file is ok.

Last edited:
I now tested with Win10 2004 (19041.1) as a host, it's an old unpatched build, and it integrates KB5004296 into a Win10 image fine as is.

If yours fails again, please attach %temp%\ntlite.log and %temp%\ntlite_dism.log from that session, there might be something else specific going on.
Not to mention that BSODs are not normal - don't forget to update the drivers, if it didn't BSOD under 8.1, no reason to do it under 10.

Thanks, can't wait to see what is this about, how could it survive the OS upgrade.

yes, I'm gonna try the process again and attach the logs if it's needed!

thanks for your patience.
BTW, memtest ran for about 10 hours, no errors. I'll check any drivers that might need updating.

Back