Win10 preset that is still WU updatable?

Brutser

Hi all!

I wonder what components, features are removable without breaking the option for Windows Update?
Especially of course we would like to remove telemetry and some annoying services, but I guess if Microsoft ever wants to update that particular part, the WU functionality would fail?
The reason I ask is for when I want to create a Win10 x64 build that is not intended for my networks, but for family or friends and kind of like a one-off build that I give them and not want to bother about after.
Would you guys just leave everything enabled, or are there certain things you think are able to be removed and still have a "normal" windows (and update) functioning?

Thanks for your answers and suggestions!

Every one has their own opinion and heres mine. If you are building a 1 size fits all disc then go Lite(beginners) and i have w10 presets availible.

Clanger: so your Lite preset will remove most telemetry and other annoying components/features and still be updatable through WU?
I will sure give it a try if it does, thanks for the work on that!

My presets dont remove telemetry because thats a total minefield and why i use 8.1. My presets are for beginners so are very lite and shouldnt break much if anything at all, the only areas you will need to look at carefully are for language location keyboards and fonts, i use en-gb so they are tuned for that. Finnd out what your FnF use and disble services according to their needs, create a custom service file for each as required.

Hi all!

I wonder what components, features are removable without breaking the option for Windows Update?
Especially of course we would like to remove telemetry and some annoying services, but I guess if Microsoft ever wants to update that particular part, the WU functionality would fail?
The reason I ask is for when I want to create a Win10 x64 build that is not intended for my networks, but for family or friends and kind of like a one-off build that I give them and not want to bother about after.
Would you guys just leave everything enabled, or are there certain things you think are able to be removed and still have a "normal" windows (and update) functioning?

Thanks for your answers and suggestions!
The enabled Components - [toolbar] Compatibility options Servicing Stack and Windows Update should be all you need. With that you can remove all unprotected components.

However, one cannot guarantee that to work with the future updates, so you always have to be ready to do a Host Refresh, thus keep that compatibility enabled as well.
It gets more compatible with time/bug reports.

Start small for others, and deeper for yourself, to avoid remote debugging.

Back