Win11 Paint Bug after using NTLite

WinLite

Windows Paint doesn´t save or open pictures to or from Windows 11 File Explorer anymore. The moment i touch the file tab of paint, i receive an error message and paint closes after confirming. This only happens when i try to use the marked file tab for saving or opening a picture. If i use the save button (floppy symbol) on top of it, the file explorer opens without any problems and i can save in every format i want.

Another bug is that i removed Windows 11 first steps (Host for Windows Web Experience) with NTLite but the icon is still in the Apps of the Start Menu and the experience can be startet.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    116 KB
  • Automatisch gespeicherte Sitzung 65b9e736.xml
    23.1 KB
Last edited:
That looks like the old Paint.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ws-11-begins-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders/

Main-Screen.png

W11 Paint is now a Store app, which NTLite can't integrate because it's a Feature On Demand package and not released to the public.
Just download the new one. What version is this?

EDIT - reduced screenshot

Last edited:
Windows Paint doesn´t save or open pictures to or from Windows 11 File Explorer anymore. The moment i touch the file tab of paint, i receive an error message and paint closes after confirming. The strange thing is that this only happens when i try to use the marked file tab for saving or opening a picture. If i use the save button (floppy symbol) on top of it, the file explorer opens without any problems and i can save in every format i want.

Another bug is that i removed Windows 11 first steps (Host for Windows Web Experience) with NTLite but the icon is still in the Apps of the Start Menu and the experience can be startet.

Last session and error message are attached.
1) as garlin mentioned you are using old paint on a new windows11, maybe thats the issue, try downloading new paint from microsoft store.
2) yes i also pm nuhi about first step etc issue, idk when will nuhi look into it.

Thanks for your answers and explanations. I was also wondering about the old paint version but i didn´t change anything myself, NTLite must have done that. Maybe because of my configurations in NTLite. I´m using the official Win11 Consumer 22000.194 from MS, extracted the Pro out of it with NTLite, edited it with NTLite and that was the result. Everything else is working fine, only paint doesn´t.

Last edited:
I made another test by installing the exported Pro RTM version of Win11 because i couldn´t read the Paint version of the reduced Pro as it crashes when i start to open the info like i discribed before.
Now i can tell that Paint is already the old classic version 10.2104.17.0 in the Pro exportet by NTLite but it works and i wouldn´t mind about that because i prefer the classic version anyway as i also use it in Win7 and Win10 all the time (also always done by NTLite).
In the afternoon i will repeat the removings and settings of the Pro with NTLite again to see if the bug remains and report back afterwards.

Last edited:
i think its not because ntlite but the place you downloaded your iso from. normally when you download from uupdump it integrates new paint and new notepad as modern app to the iso.

I don´t think so because:

1. It´s the:

CCCOMA_X64FRE_DE-DE_DV9
de-de_windows_11_consumer_editions_x64_dvd_216b03dd.iso
CRC32: 332BC4DE
MD5: 5E85583824DE879475890E1539595ACD
SHA-1: 07A41A2AF5582A346279B94E2C3AFE9AFA09D1E9
Win11_Consumer Editions_Version 21H2 build 22000.194_x64

2. If you install it like it is, you get the new Paint like intended. Only the exported Pro version by NTLite changes Paint to the classic version.

Last edited:
i would recomend to use .282 build and try again. also are u integrating any reg or cmd bat commands? maybe there is a reg about using old paint w32

Only the bypassing TPM check reg and nothing else. I prefer to repeat my test with .194 because there are no changes for Paint in the .282. As soon as the test is finished later on, i will report back.

EDIT:

My Tests are finished and the Paint bug remains. I´m absolutely shure now that only nuhi can fix this bug in NTLite because i didn´t make any mistake. Win11 is not so much different to Win10 and i can use classic Paint without problems there after reducing it with NTLite. I don´t believe that this shall not be possible anymore till nuhi tells me something different.

Btw. nuhi:

In previous versions of NTLite (1.9.0.7304) there is an option to remove Tips and Tricks from lock screen. It´s gone now and i would like to have it back if possible.

Last edited:
NTLite works on W8-11 images reliably as long you don't integrate updates (DISM has versioning issues). I'm confused because system32/paint doesn't exist in the W11 ISO and new Paint is released as AppX package.

-> Privacy / Windows lockscreen spotlight

you did your tests? so you did download .282 from uupdump and you still have old paint? NO. THEN, if you did not test it then you did not complete your tests and can't be sure its about ntlite. becayse as far as i know as garlin too we don't think old paint should be inside new windows 11 isos... i nearly tested all win10 and win11 builds even with insider dev builds. and never had problem with paint.

Last edited:
NTLite works on W8-11 images reliably as long you don't integrate updates (DISM has versioning issues).
Exactly garlin i´m aware of this since NTLite exists. I always only use updates if i see a very important reason for that and prefer full Win ISO versions every one or two years.
you did your tests? so you did download .282 from uupdump and you still have old paint? NO. THEN, if you did not test it then you did not complete your tests and can't be sure its about ntlite.
As i told you already, in update .282 is nothing relevant for Paint and therefore i don´t see any reason for that now. I build and work with PC´s since 20 years and know nuhi since XP and nLite. I also only use original and official ISO´s from MS since 20 years and I´m not going to change that now. I started by testing the downloaded original untouched Consumer Edition without NTLite and saw the new Paint after installation. It works without any problems. Only after exporting and reducing the Pro version of it with NTLite, the classic version of Paint appeared. That means to me that NTLite must have something to do with that. At least the configuration that i personally choosed, which is to see in my last session. And only nuhi will be able to find the bug or incompatibility that NTLite or my configuration of it causes in Paint.

Right now i´m reducing the complete consumer edition with NTLite (without exporting the Pro version), only to see if the bug still exists after that. I´m absolutely shure that the bug has something to do with NTLite and specially my configuration. My case has nothing to do with updates because the original untouched version which i use has a fully functional Paint. I don´t mind if you think different, i simply don´t agree to that and i prefer to talk about that with nuhi now.

EDIT:

My last test is finished and the problem remains. Only nuhi will now be able to find out what is causing this bug. I can only say now that exporting the Pro version is not the problem as the clean untouched version makes no difference. That means to me that my configuration of NTLite must have something to do with that but i can´t find out what because everything else is working well.

Last edited:
I installed a clean 22000.194 (de-DE), and we do get old MS Paint. But my version does open & save without crashing.

Win7-NTLite-2021-10-24-18-19-20.png

My recommendation is to download the image using W11 Media Creation Tool (not UUP or other sources). CCCOMA_X64FRE_DE-DE_DV9 indicates it's a released branch, but not necessarily a RTM image.

Now where does old Paint live? WTF!!
"0 byte" mspaint.exe is very real.

Verzeichnis von C:\Users\GARLIN\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

10/25/2021 03:16 AM <DIR> ..
10/25/2021 03:30 AM <DIR> Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM <DIR> Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM <DIR> Microsoft.Paint_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:31 AM <DIR> Microsoft.ScreenSketch_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM <DIR> Microsoft.WindowsNotepad_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:30 AM <DIR> Microsoft.WindowsTerminal_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM 0 MicrosoftEdge.exe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM <DIR> MicrosoftTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM 0 mspaint.exe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM 0 msteams.exe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM 0 notepad.exe
10/25/2021 03:13 AM 0 pbrush.exe
10/25/2021 03:30 AM 0 python.exe
10/25/2021 03:30 AM 0 python3.exe
10/25/2021 03:31 AM 0 SnippingTool.exe
10/25/2021 03:30 AM 0 wt.exe
9 Datei(en), 0 Bytes
8 Verzeichnis(se), 44,183,048,192 Bytes frei

I don't think this a NTLite issue. The only mod to the image was Autounattend & TPM bypass.

Thanks for your help and work garlin. I really appreciate this good news and well thought explanation which makes absolute sence to me.

As i wrote before, i could also open Paint without crashes after installing the clean untouched 22000.194 and even the exported Pro version with NTLite. My crashes start to happen after i use NTLite for removing and setting with my configuration from the last session, which i btw. already used for Win10 without problems 2 years ago. That´s why i still think that this is an incompatibility between Win11 and NTLite with my settings.

But i will follow your recommendation now and report back later.

EDIT: I did what you recommended to me and downloaded the Win11 ESD ISO 22000.258 using the W11 Media Creation Tool. After i let NTLite do the converting from ESD to WIM and used my automatted session and TPM reg file on it, exactly like with the 22000.194 before. I burned the reduced ISO on DVD RW and installed it. The result is absolutely the same as before, Paint is crashing again with the same error message. I say again now that it must have to do with my NTLite configuration for deleting files. Some dependencies to the new Win11 are still unknown and only nuhi can find that out.

Attachments

• Win11 ESD ISO 22000.258.jpg
    Win11 ESD ISO 22000.258.jpg
    115.2 KB
Last edited:
For a better understanding to everyone i´m going to repeat my test order now in a compressed form:

1. I startet by installing and testing the original untouched Windows 11 Consumer Edition 22000.194 (bypassed with reg file on USB stick)
without using NTLite in anyway! As result i received the new Win11 Paint (not the classic one!) and it worked without any problems.

2. I started a second test by exporting the Pro version out of the Win11 Consumer Edition 22000.194 with NTLite and edited the boot.wim file with
my TPM bypass reg file also with NTLite afterwards, as nuhi recommended me in another thread (but didn´t deleted or configurated
anything!
). As result i received the classic Win11 Paint (not the new one this time!) and it worked without any problems.

3. I started a third test by reducing the exported Pro version of Win11 with NTLite (my session is uploaded already) and could install it
without problems. As result i received the classic Win11 Paint again but this time it was broken in the way i already discribed here before.

That is the reason why i think that this Paint bug must have to do with my personal settings or removings with NTLite. I work with this Programm since WinXP and always when these kind of things happened, it had to do with my configuration of NTLite. The only difference this time is, that i didn´t throw out more or had different settings than with Win10 last year and that one works perfect in every way. So it must have to do with a new and till now undiscovered incompatibility between Win11, NTLite and my personal settings in NTLite. Absolutely no problems with Paint at that time. But Win11 got a different new Paint and that causes an incompatibility with NTLite.

Last edited:
I switched to windows 11, 2 days ago, after reading so many hatefull threads about how bad windows 11 is. its actually not that bad. with editing ntlite its tolarable. i only don't like the context menu functionalty but liked the UI design of it so i am not reverting it to the old look. but i would love to have "Edit" button on new context menus. Can it be done nuhi only adding edit button in new context menu? others ways its just hard to get things done

Edit pics with Windows 22000.258 seems to work for now (after install and updated via MS Store).
But when try to save from FILE menu and error came up - maybe can help figure out?

Attachments

• Paint_Windows 22000.258.png
    Paint_Windows 22000.258.png
    63.1 KB
Back