[Windows 10] Removing Telemetry (Asimov) breaks automatic (driver) updates

Reboot

Purchased NTLite today, it seems like a great tool!

I created a Windows 10 image removing a bunch of components, including Asimov (Telemetry). However, I quickly find out that the automatic (driver) updates did not work. I turns out that removing Asimov breaks this.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

Maybe Nuhi can shed some light on this subject? If there aren't any (possible) solutions to this, I think it would be wise to include a warning in NTLite regarding this problem.

Edit: Changed the post to better describe to problem, so people might find this thread quicker when they encounter the same issue...

Last edited:
I experienced the same thing, when removing component Asimov WU don't find any updates or drivers only Defender updates.
Found out that keeping component Asimov on both build 16299 and 17134 WU works fine with both drivers and latest updates.
I think WU needs do some kind of telemetry to work 100%!?!

I experienced the same thing, when removing component Asimov WU don't find any updates or drivers only Defender updates.
Found out that keeping component Asimov on both build 16299 and 17134 WU works fine with both drivers and latest updates.
I think WU needs do some kind of telemetry to work 100%!?!

Hmm, that's unfortunate. Nuhi, when you have time, can you investigate this please? Or perhaps someone else here has a workaround?

Huh, thanks for reporting, I'll try to replicate and release a fix in a few days.
Expect my reply here.

Fixed in 6174, let me know if you try.

This was a weird one, and easy to miss. Only way I could test was to block the Feature update via the policy, then test from CU to CU - if it seemingly ignores the policy and goes directly to the Feature update, it's bad, if it goes to CU it's good. At least I hope it fixes both of your issues.

Thanks!

Back