Windows 10 x64 Cumulative Updates

Ultimist

Does selecting "Windows Update (+Feature Setup)" in the compatibility options ensure that the OS will be able to install Windows cumulative updates? If not, is there a list of what not to remove to keep this functionality? Thanks!

Ultimist, as Clanger said, yes.
I would just add to make sure the ISO wasn't having any components removed in a prior session, of course.
And if you see any issues updating, please report the preset demonstrating the issue and try the full update instead (get it in the Catalog), as Windows Update sometimes gives you a Delta (smaller) Update, which is more sensitive on removed components and is a difference only from the previous update - expecting full Windows.

Nuhi, just a question: is there a way (policy, registry... ) to tell windows update to avoid delta updates and go for full comulative? That would be interesting to apply as default for NTlited installations...

Fil

On windows 7 i am happy with the 2 CU's i use. With w10 and the multiple CU's coming out each month i would use 1 CU which is stable and doesnt give many problems then use Delta updates because you will be partly patched and can easily spot which Delta is borked. IF a CU is borked you cant patch because its broken. With a borked Delta you can be 85% plus patched. I would prefer having a choice if it is possible either within the tool or by a tweak on a running system. It should aready be possible with WU.

Last edited:
If delta updates fail, the question is, will a future FULL cumulative update be able to install and clear the need for that particular delta update?

Every CU contains updates from all the previous CU's so they would only install the differences between the previuous installed CU and the newer CU and not over write everything i assume.

Nuhi, just a question: is there a way (policy, registry... ) to tell windows update to avoid delta updates and go for full comulative? That would be interesting to apply as default for NTlited installations...

Fil
Yeah I would love that, do let me know if you find one.
Btw MS announced abandoning Delta updates, and going for Express ones.
Hopefully the more detailed differential, aka Express, will solve our occasional problem.

Back