Windows 11 Size

tistou77

Hello

I am currently testing Windows 11, and installing it with the latest public CU available .258 (integrated into ISO), Windows size is larger by almost 6GB, compared to the previous CU

It will seem that now the "Windows Feature Experience Pack" is integrated into the CU, but even uninstalling it via DISM, the size of Windows is not changed

Someone would have any idea ?
Or maybe the reserved disk space (which is deleted normally) ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Compare files from previous CU prepared ISO and the new one.
I'm guessing it's similar, thus the confusion or you haven't looked yet?
no additional file, install.wim is the same size, System32, Syswow64, etc ... directories are the same size after installation o_O
I don't see what takes these ~ 6GB

Or it is the reserved storage (for Windows Update), how to check if this is it ?

Or a bug in the size of the disk occupation...
I would test with the latest CU

Thanks

From an elevated command prompt window you can do follow:

Check Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Get-ReservedStorageState
Activate Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Enabled
Deactivate Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Disabled (State: Disabled without space)

or remove the "hidden" pagefile if not needed (the NTLITE template in Post-setup for this does not work when boot into /Audit (sysprep) mode):
powercfg.exe -h off

Extra 1-2 gigs can be achived by a clean up of outdated Windows update files:
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

If using EDGE theres 2 new folders for EDGEcore and EDGEwebview fill up an extra app. 800 mb to the install!?!

Thanks I test for Reserved Storage

in fact, with the same preset

CU 194 : Windows is less than 3GB in size
CU 258 : Windows is less than 9GB in size

There is Reserved Storage option under Settings, for fresh installs it will disable it during setup.
Also can disable it by right-clicking on C: drive from NTLite for existing installs.

Ok thanks, I'll test ;)

Possible to do it offline if that's it ?
From memory, I delete this component / feature (I don't have it under Windows 10 and with the 1st CUs of Windows 11)

From an elevated command prompt window you can do follow:

Check Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Get-ReservedStorageState
Activate Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Enabled
Deactivate Reserved Storage:
DISM.exe /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Disabled (State: Disabled without space)

or remove the "hidden" pagefile if not needed (the NTLITE template in Post-setup for this does not work when boot into /Audit (sysprep) mode):
powercfg.exe -h off

Extra 1-2 gigs can be achived by a clean up of outdated Windows update files:
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

If using EDGE theres 2 new folders for EDGEcore and EDGEwebview fill up an extra app. 800 mb to the install!?!

That's it, thanks
By disabling it, it's good

To see in NTlite if the option has "jumped" with the preset

EDIT : The option was on "default" with the preset applied in NTLite, I will test again to see

Last edited:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...orage-in-windows-10-environments/ba-p/1297070

How much disk space is allocated for reserved storage?

Reserved storage starts by reserving about 7 GB of hard disk space and the amount of space reserved will vary over time based on the device. The reserved space can be reduced by removing unused optional features and languages, such as:
  • Installed optional features: Many optional features are available for Windows. These may be pre-installed, acquired on demand by the system, or installed manually by you. When an optional feature is installed, Windows will increase the amount of reserved storage to ensure there is space to maintain the feature on your device when updates are installed. You can see which features are installed on your device by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features. You can reduce the amount of space required for reserved storage on your device by uninstalling optional features you are not using.
  • Installed languages: Windows is localized into many languages. Although most organizations only use one language at a time, some users may switch between two or more languages. When additional languages are installed, Windows will increase the amount of reserved storage to ensure there is space to maintain these languages when updates are installed. You can see which languages are installed on your device by going to Settings > Time & Language > Language. You can reduce the amount of space required for reserved storage on your device by uninstalling languages you are not using.
When enabled, reserved storage will instantly reserve its full allotment of disk space. However, on disk-space-constrained devices, enabling reserved storage will leave the user space and will only take the minimum—which is 2% of system volume capacity or 3GB of disk space, whichever is lower—to ensure that the device is functional and accessible to the user for further operations. Reserved storage will grow back to its original allocated size as space becomes available, such as when old Windows installations are removed or then Storage Sense cleanup tasks are conducted.

Last edited:
Back