Windows 7 - Anyone notice improving in installation speed when remove certain drivers ?

aviv00

Windows 7 - Anyone notice improving in installation speed when remove certain drivers ?
or can suggest ones thx

Hello im trying to make good universal version of windows 7
but its method to find driver is bit old and going sometimes quite sometime to find all the drivers
campare to windows 10 which takes min the most

Ive never pinpointed a certain driver removal that helps increase install times, only as part of a wider routine, a lite w7 preset and then its not always down to removals but tweaks aswell, disabling pagefile hibernation, system restore, search, defender and sleep helps too aswell as booting from usb 2 or 3. Most 3rd party drivers in any iso will probably be outdated so i remove them unless they are needed for a specific compatibility option.

What you call a good universal version may differ from my idea of one but heres what i would do, remove 3rd party drivers, .net cache files, cache and temp files, winsxs backup plus ntlites own default cleanup routines plus the few tweaks i listed above. Thats as close to an install as ms intended. You could add the tweaks if you want without getting too far away from a default installation.

Next step would be my lite configurations in my presets. They remove a few more things, uneeded languages keyboards and fonts because i only need a specific language keyboard etc. Just using en-us or en-gb there are a lot of fonts many english language users wont need, eastern, asian etc.

There was a user who was very impressed at the increased installation time from a lite configuration installed from dvd.

Last edited:
Even the tweaks listed above and an answer file you can really speed things up but its usually a combination of things. An answer file, tweaks above, removed store apps, all those privacy options during 8.1 and w10 1809 setups and anything that runs during startup.

Installing 1809 LTSC painfully slow at 1st. Enable the Administrator account from setup complete i still had to login as x user and the privacy options for that account, logout and go through them again for Administrator, what a palava :(.

Last edited:
Back