Windows 7 - Skipping ACPI requirement

dubba

Hello all, new user here who just discovered ntLite, as well as the older vLite and nLite.

I came to seek potential assistance with installing Windows 7 32-bit on a non-ACPI-compliant machine. According to someone's entry on Wikipedia:

ACPI could be disabled on Windows XP and earlier by pressing the F7 key to disable ACPI when Windows setup is starting. With the release of Windows Vista and later, it is no longer possible to do this. In addition, if you have a laptop where Windows cannot interpret its ACPI when trying to install, it will result in a "This BIOS is not ACPI-Compliant" 0x0A5 Blue Screen of Death. This problem could be circumvented by pressing F7 on XP and earlier, however, newer Windows such as Vista will require a patch to Windows ACPI.sys driver slipstreamed into the installation media to bypass the issue due to the lack of F7 option during setup.

I do indeed have Windows XP SP3 32-bit installed successfully in my setup, but upgrading my bios/hardware for ACPI for Windows 7, in my particular case, is not possible. But slipstreaming a fix for Windows 7 seems possible.

Hence, I discovered ntLite. I came here, because creating a new ISO after just disabling, under "Extra Services":

- "Microsoft ACPI Control Method Battery Driver";
- "Microsoft ACPI Driver";
- "Microsoft Windows Management Interface for ACPI".

... did not change the outcome nor error message, and the installer, be it during boot with the install media, or from the setup that I can run from Windows XP, still detects and complains that my BIOS/hardware is not ACPI-compliant.

Should I disable anything else with ntLite?
Is disabling not good enough, and I need to change ACPI.sys?
How do I extract ACPI.sys from the install media so I can try to patch/hexedit it, and then add it back via ntLite?

Whoever reads/assists with this, thank you very much for going through the trouble to help.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my setup is not a laptop and does not use batteries, so no need to be concerned over that.

You can't disable ACPI in Windows 7. It is required. There is no NON-ACPI HAL.

Discussing editing or patching(hacking) system files isnt allowed here.

I see, thank you for the pointer. And don't worry, I haven't asked for patching/hacking assistance of a file, but rather just wanted to know if ntLite has the feature of replacing files/components. I know it can add updates, disable features, but I didn't see how one could replace components using the interface.

Anyway, if it is indeed the case that Windows 7 has "no NON-ACPI HAL", then in my understanding that means there is more to this than just ACPI.sys. Officially, Windows Vista also supports only ACPI hardware/BIOS, but I wonder if it still has ACPI HAL internally? Could that even be brought over from Vista to 7, or (even less likely) from XP to 7?

If discussing replacing files is also out-of-bounds, please do let me know and I shall post no further. Thank you for the quick reply.

We can and will help with anything NTLit'ing an OS except hacking or patching of system files which could land us with dmca takedown notices.
Thank you for your understanding. :) Also have a look over at mdl, they discuss things we cannot.

Google search on SIW2 & sevenforums might lead you to an unsupported driver mod.
acpi.sys is a Windows kernel driver, modding it is out of bounds for NTLite discussion because it's a MS provided file.

To answer your question of overwriting files: load boot.wim or install.wim, explore the mounted folder and copy your file(s). Depending on which files, you might need Administrator or TrustedInstaller rights. Apply changes to commit.

There you go, enough clues to figure it out.

Back