Windows 8.1 "Impossible continue install process"

MR01

I time ago did a very tiny iso of win8.1 x86 with the v1.5, then some days ago i wanted to redo it with the newer version, because i needed to add/fix storport.sys blue-screen, using the same .xml.

Every iso gave me a "impossible continue the install process" error after a correct hardware inizialize % and reboot/reload i did many tries because i thinked i was doing some errors...then i re-thinked about my other topic with newer beta faults....then i downloaded the same old version (thanks google) and WORKS.

So is not my fault but NTLite app fault, the old one (1.5) works, the new one break installation.

I leave the xml here for nuhi to test with newer builds.

Did you use the Preset from 1.5 to do your buld in 1.7?

Or did you start clean and remove components by hand, manually in 1.7?

That's probably the problem then. I did something similar (using an older Preset with a newer version of NTLite) and got strange results.

The issue is that newer versions of NTLite might have added component removals and/or moved them around, such that parents and/or children changed.

I think you're going to have to start with a clean Preset and, using your old Preset as a guide, manually go through each component in NTLite 1.7 and uncheck things. Be sure to expand components that are gray. There can be some interesting items buried under them.

I know NTLite 1.7 works for Win8.1, ’cause I recently made a nice iso. If you look in the thread about Win8.1, I posted my Preset there.

Used 1.5 preset
That's probably the problem then. I did something similar (using an older Preset with a newer version of NTLite) and got strange results.

The issue is that newer versions of NTLite might have added component removals and/or moved them around, such that parents and/or children changed.

I think you're going to have to start with a clean Preset and, using your old Preset as a guide, manually go through each component in NTLite 1.7 and uncheck things. Be sure to expand components that are gray. There can be some interesting items buried under them.

I know NTLite 1.7 works for Win8.1, ’cause I recently made a nice iso. If you look in the thread about Win8.1, I posted my Preset there.

I redid from 0 same problem, also with 1.6.
1.5 remove "780" components, 1.6 remove "786" and 1.7 remove "802"

Here's my Preset, which won't work for you 'cause I had to remove all the hard drives to get AMD RAID to work. But for the rest, you can use WinMerge to compare your Preset to mine to see what's breaking yours.

Looking at your Preset, my first guess is that you took out too many fonts. Some are critical. Do you have "Recommended Fonts" enabled in the compatibility box? Oops. I see in your Preset that you do. Still, you could use my font list, and if that's not good enough for you after install, you could go Live and remove fonts after Win8.1 is running.

Also, I've seen here in the forum where different language versions of Windows sometimes don't work correctly in NTLite. (Looks like you're using Italian?)

My second guess would be the drivers you're adding. Maybe one of them isn't integrating correctly with a later version of NTLite. They're all 32 bit drivers, correct? Did you update any drivers since your 1.5 days?

My third guess would be that your working base image changed from when you last made an iso with v1.5? There have been some more KB's, if you're integrating those beforehand. Maybe a new KB isn't compatible with one of your drivers/component removals?

My fourth guess is that is has something to do with 32 bit version of Win8.1, and/or building on a 32 bit Host. That's one big difference between your setup and mine. (I'm 64 bit.)

My fifth guess is that compactOS line in your commands. I had to look that one up to see what it does. Has anything changed on your laptop that would prevent that from working?

Last edited:
He can run multiple instances of ntlite, make a copy of his iso, load the original into 1 window, open a 2nd one and load the copy, i find visual component pages easier than comparing xml files. Get a set of known working updates first before liting.

Hmm... interesting. I had never thought of putting two instances of NTLite side by side and comparing them.

Next thing you know, nuhi will have to figure a way to color code differences in the 2nd instance of NTLite to highlight what's different from the 1st instance. (A new feature for 2019?)

Nuhi would have to do side by side loading from a single window to directly compare 2 images and to see the differences.
TRouble is while he is faffing around getting features to work he has less time sorting windows 10 issues.
I think side by side loading from a single window/instance may,,,,, keep it as it is, hes got enough on his plate. :)

Last edited:

Used 1.5 preset

I redid from 0 same problem, also with 1.6.
1.5 remove "780" components, 1.6 remove "786" and 1.7 remove "802"
Here's my Preset, which won't work for you 'cause I had to remove all the hard drives to get AMD RAID to work. But for the rest, you can use WinMerge to compare your Preset to mine to see what's breaking yours.

Looking at your Preset, my first guess is that you took out too many fonts. Some are critical. Do you have "Recommended Fonts" enabled in the compatibility box? Oops. I see in your Preset that you do. Still, you could use my font list, and if that's not good enough for you after install, you could go Live and remove fonts after Win8.1 is running.

Also, I've seen here in the forum where different language versions of Windows sometimes don't work correctly in NTLite. (Looks like you're using Italian?)

My second guess would be the drivers you're adding. Maybe one of them isn't integrating correctly with a later version of NTLite. They're all 32 bit drivers, correct? Did you update any drivers since your 1.5 days?

My third guess would be that your working base image changed from when you last made an iso with v1.5? There have been some more KB's, if you're integrating those beforehand. Maybe a new KB isn't compatible with one of your drivers/component removals?

My fourth guess is that is has something to do with 32 bit version of Win8.1, and/or building on a 32 bit Host. That's one big difference between your setup and mine. (I'm 64 bit.)

My fifth guess is that compactOS line in your commands. I had to look that one up to see what it does. Has anything changed on your laptop that would prevent that from working?

i also tried to not touch fonts in my tests i did, the problem was not solved, for iso lang, that can be true but nuhi should know better of usb about that also because it (a iso lang bug) should be fixed because can be showup also on win10 iso.

Very strange. I suppose you're going to have to do what Clanger does - remove about half your Preset and see if it works. Try to isolate the problem that way - assuming it's a single point failure.

I would try just drivers without removals.

If that works, then I would remove fonts, language keyboards and see if that works.

If that works, then I would try just your other removals.

Etc.

I assume that you're testing in a VM first to get this working? If not, does it work as is if you try it in a VM?

A (VirtualBox) VM isnt infallable, i had carefully prepared an image(dism removals, no ntlite) and it booted fine in the vm but wouldnt install to hardware, got a no Image warning box. VM's are handy but direct to harware is best, if possible.

I understand. I was suggesting a VM just because it's faster than installing on hardware and acts as a "sanity check" for removals. That is, if Windows won't run in a VM due to a removal, then it won't run on hardware either.

But as you say, just because it runs in a VM doesn't mean it will run on metal. (My AMD RAID for example, always works fine in a VM. But gets tricky on hardware.)

True pmikep, VB has been very handy.
MR01 Once you have finished and sorted the bug problems get my 8.1 Lite preset and carefully add my font removals only to your presets, mine are fine tuned to en-gb(only language i need) but i have had a look at the Italian alphabet and the letters are the same, there are no Umlauts unlike some German letters.

Last edited:
A (VirtualBox) VM isnt infallable, i had carefully prepared an image(dism removals, no ntlite) and it booted fine in the vm but wouldnt install to hardware, got a no Image warning box. VM's are handy but direct to harware is best, if possible.
When you have loaded the preset, make sure there is not grayed out UAC (doble click if grayed out to make it checked), at least it is removable live only for 7.

Keeping Event log service, MDAC and UAC would be a start.

I had issues by unattended being ignored, except local language and UI setup, USB needed formatting to fix it.

No image could be due to pkey in BIOS not matching to the Windows selected edition (in unattended) or no drivers.

Off topic post so i have hidden it.

I was testing making a new master iso, no updates etc, i just want to take out Defender, System Restore and those bloody awfull wallpapers so i carefully dism'd them out, removed any leftover files and folders and registry entries. Even though they were dism'd and reset base dism leaves annd avful lot of left overs in the registry. Image didnt go near ntlite. Setup failed during the 1st part of install, answer file wouldnt even kick in at that stage. Thats why its weird. Hey ho, i'll figure it out.

Last edited:
e_web
There are also leftovers in winsxs. Disabling stuff in registry thern liting them out(as opposed to dism'ing them out) is way quicker.

3 components, Defender, Restore and Wallypapers is 8 packages. Extract their packages and there are 144 files @172mb.

Remember these are not the biggest components. You have got to search the mount folder for 144 files(most get removed, some dont) and if you are being really good then you should search the registry aswell(i use Registrar Registry Manager) and there are tons of leftovers incase those leftovers are in the windows gui somewhere.

To remove 8 packages/144 files probably took me between 1 and 2 hours(probably closer to 2) to remove from load to unload. NTLite is quicker and far more efficient and when i see people moan about the cost of a license i get cross. Ok you lot, try dism'ing that out, searching for leftover files and regisry entries and see how long it takes you. Way more than 2 hours(2/3 hours labour in a pc repair shop is about equal to the cost of a license inc sales taxes).

Other dism removal tools have bugs too.

Last edited:
They'll just bitch n moan its not actually X% but you cant help sales taxes. Because of the reasons i always state(and the additional ones above) NTLite is and remains damn good value even at full whack.

Nero burning rom sale is only 5gbp off, wow n whoopeedoo, 5 whole quid, i think i can suffer the extra fiver at a later point.
Nuhi's 30% is damn good(generous) discount.

Back