Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

Most probably the UEFI/BIOS mismatch.
Make sure to boot the USB in the same mode that the BIOS is in, especially if disk partitioning was already selected in NTLite.
The match depends mostly how the disk is partitioned already (or in autopartitioning). GPT (UEFI) or MBR (BIOS).

I tend to set the bios to UEFI, disable CSM even (but this is optional), then on reboot prompt the boot menu if any, or go to bios boot section and pick something like "UEFI USB", there will also be a regular one as well, not that if UEFI is targeted.
But the disk must be in GPT mode already.

Research this online, it's a Windows thing.

In some rare cases, clearing the disk is necessary, but that is rare, it must be the BIOS/UEFI matchup.

Most probably the UEFI/BIOS mismatch.
Make sure to boot the USB in the same mode that the BIOS is in, especially if disk partitioning was already selected in NTLite.
The match depends mostly how the disk is partitioned already (or in autopartitioning). GPT (UEFI) or MBR (BIOS).

I tend to set the bios to UEFI, disable CSM even (but this is optional), then on reboot prompt the boot menu if any, or go to bios boot section and pick something like "UEFI USB", there will also be a regular one as well, not that if UEFI is targeted.
But the disk must be in GPT mode already.

Research this online, it's a Windows thing.

In some rare cases, clearing the disk is necessary, but that is rare, it must be the BIOS/UEFI matchup.
I'm installing on VMware in UEFI mode.
The original ISO from the media creation tool works perfectly. But the one from ntlite always throws this error at the end of the first stage right before it would reboot.

did u select windows 10 on vmware because on virtualbox if u select wrong os you can't install that iso

its interesting but if u have problem you should share your preset for us to test and point out the issue

There is just unattended there, so only thing that could make any difference is the ISO creation, but that seems to work just fine in VMWare for me now and your preset.

It makes no technical sense that there would be any difference, so let me be a bit more literal:

- Press F2 when booting the VM and choose EFI CDROM from the boot menu.
It should prompt to press any key, BIOS mode is a bit dimmer than UEFI, letters in UEFI mode are brighter for that message and a bit bigger.

- Try deleting all partitions, even better whould be Shift+F10 and enter the following:
diskpart
select disk 0
clean

this removes all data and partitions, so do it just in a VM.
Close cmd, refresh the disk list from the partition selection if there, and use the unpartitioned space. That way Windows will convert the disk to whatever is currently booted.

Let me know if that helped.

Thanks.

There is just unattended there, so only thing that could make any difference is the ISO creation, but that seems to work just fine in VMWare for me now and your preset.

It makes no technical sense that there would be any difference, so let me be a bit more literal:

- Press F2 when booting the VM and choose EFI CDROM from the boot menu.
It should prompt to press any key, BIOS mode is a bit dimmer than UEFI, letters in UEFI mode are brighter for that message and a bit bigger.

- Try deleting all partitions, even better whould be Shift+F10 and enter the following:
diskpart
select disk 0
clean

this removes all data and partitions, so do it just in a VM.
Close cmd, refresh the disk list from the partition selection if there, and use the unpartitioned space. That way Windows will convert the disk to whatever is currently booted.

Let me know if that helped.

Thanks.
As you can see here, I first try the ISO created by ntlite. It fails with the same error message.
I then try the original created with Windows Media Creation Tool, and it works fine.

Thanks for the video.
So the error is at the end, that's something unexpected, I thought it's at the beginning.

OK, first inconsistency is that it looks like it doesn't have Recovery partition when booting after the edited ISO, but it had it when vice-versa.
Meaning you probably have some autopartitioning set on the edited version, however in your preset I haven't seen that.

Can you check if you maybe sent me the wrong one and send me the actual preset used?
And/or send me in PM the .\autounattend.xml file from the broken ISO.

Thanks.

Thanks for the video.
So the error is at the end, that's something unexpected, I thought it's at the beginning.

OK, first inconsistency is that it looks like it doesn't have Recovery partition when booting after the edited ISO, but it had it when vice-versa.
Meaning you probably have some autopartitioning set on the edited version, however in your preset I haven't seen that.

Can you check if you maybe sent me the wrong one and send me the actual preset used?
And/or send me in PM the .\autounattend.xml file from the broken ISO.

Thanks.
Pretty sure autopartitioning is part of the premium version? I only have the free one.
I'll grab the auto unattend soon and I'll send it

in the image in the directory
C:\Windows\System32\config
u should have BCD-Template file
if not that error will appear

I have the same issue, after trying to add Update, it was working fine before than, though I try to use old preset but no luck, I also deployed in VM HyperV Generation 2, with SecureBoot Support. the OS is Windows10 2004.
I"m using Disk Template with UEFI
1603072519529.png

1603072234660.png

I saw the very same error trying to install 2004 x64 to a friend of mine's computer, it was the eMMC drive damaged.

But I had other issue: A popup that asks for repair with 2 options, trying to skip, it reboot the computer, the same running 1703 & 2004 builds. Weird because that didn't happen in VirtualBox (a Windows "mark" detected perhaps).

I have the same issue, after trying to add Update, it was working fine before than, though I try to use old preset but no luck, I also deployed in VM HyperV Generation 2, with SecureBoot Support. the OS is Windows10 2004.
I"m using Disk Template with UEFI

View attachment 4051
If you have a preset demonstrating that issue with the latest version of the tool, I would be happy to try.
Let me know which VM to test on, if you have it on VMWare would be simplest.

Thanks.

Any updates on this? I'm having the exact same issue. GPT/UEFI both virtual and on a Surface Pro 7.
Send me a preset which demonstrates virtual machine (set to EFI) and the problem described.

First make sure the same non-edited ISO works in the identical situation.

Thanks.

Back