Windows Sound settings

Clanger

Staff member
Edited - Where in the Registry are the windows sound settings? I want settings for Sound devices, levels, db levels, output samplerates, bitrates and frequency etc. I am tired of having to do them on every install. So where are they, is there a bat file toset them? I assume if i do a custom capture wim, i can set them on the install and they should be there in the new wim. I want to know for when i use the standard wim.

Or a utility that sets them would do :).

Last edited:
I believe it's under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{GUID}\Properties\
I think the GUID is random on each device/OS install sooo... good luck.

Ok, i will have a look on my next test install. If i can get a reg file or utility that sets them then i will post again, thank you :).

"SoundVolumeView is a simple tool for Windows Vista/7/8/2008/10 that displays general information and current volume level for all active sound components on your system, and allows you to mute and unmute them instantly.
SoundVolumeView also allows you to save a sound profile into a file, containing the current volume level and the mute/unmute state of all sound components, as well as the default sound devices, and then later, load the same file to restore exactly the same volume levels and settings.

Yeah it is(click Like then ya bugger :p). I did look at nircmd as ahazuarus suggested but its a bit beyond me. Im a regular visitor to nirsoft and was browsing for updates. I can set levels now and back them up and restore them, solves part of my problem. Good old Nir Sofer :)

Last edited:
ahazuarus, you cannot be expected to remumber everything :) and he has got a page of everything that i do look at every blue moon(or when i need summat). I expecting to find Waldo, Jimmy Hoffa, Lord Lucan and the holy grail there :D. Junk draw or Mary Poppins bag :).

Back