Windows Update Error: We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes

SM03

Hi,

Am facing this issue lately in all of my system where I installed Win10 Pro 19043.964 NTLited ISO lately.

Now that the latest windows LCU KB5003173 released this month May 2021, all of my systems are failing to update it. Showing this error at the end in post screen

we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes

1.jpg

I also tried offline installation by manually downloading & installing the MSU package. I don't know why & what exactly breaks the Windows update services & I periodically experience this same issue with different error codes with NTLited ISO since the couple of years I've been using NTLite.

If anyone can clarify what's exactly needs to be done in order to avoid any issue with windows update while creating an ISO via NTL, so that every LCU can easily install in every month PT, I'd really appreciate that, Searched this forum with these error keywords but find none so opened this new thread.

P.S: last time, I used this DISM (Compatible) method for cleanup Update, don't know whether this is the cause of breaking Windows update related components or service or what? I just used this to make the ISO size smaller. Anyone knowing all abt this DISM & experienced, kindly enlighten me.
2.png

UPDATE: attaching my PRESET settings if anyone interested to take a look

Attachments

• PRESET.txt
    5.1 KB
Last edited:
Hi,

In the meantime to fix any such issues, use the Host Refresh method.

I'm interested, but that's not a preset.
Please attach or PM me the original preset, and please make sure it actually is causing the issue, otherwise it's pointless for me to spend time on it.
Windows updating can fail for many reasons.

Hi,

In the meantime to fix any such issues, use the Host Refresh method.

I'm interested, but that's not a preset.
Please attach or PM me the original preset, and please make sure it actually is causing the issue, otherwise it's pointless for me to spend time on it.
Windows updating can fail for many reasons.
Hi
PM sent, check.

This is probably because Edge.Chromium package is missing in the /Windows / WinSxS folder after removal of EC.
Just put it back from an updated ISO from v. 928 (XXX) up to be safe with with the folder: amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.XXX_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 and WU should work again without error.
The new way how WU work is that if some component removed from the actual install (with e.g. NTLITE) is missing in WinSxS too - WU probably give error. Can explain too why many users reporting, that after install of an updated (lited) image WU download and install the latest update again.
But EC package removed from WinSxS updating to 1904(1-2-3).685 give error.

SM03, tested your preset (changed it to .964) and then allowed WU after install to update to .985.
No errors.
So please next time save the real preset and remember what you were doing in-between, may not be related to NTLite, or at least not directly.
Test yourself if you don't believe me, this is the third time I'm testing this for you, not any more without any direct path to error.

francis11, good to know, adds to the complexity.

This is probably because Edge.Chromium package is missing in the /Windows / WinSxS folder after removal of EC.
Just put it back from an updated ISO from v. 928 (XXX) up to be safe with with the folder: amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.XXX_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 and WU should work again without error.
The new way how WU work is that if some component removed from the actual install (with e.g. NTLITE) is missing in WinSxS too - WU probably give error. Can explain too why many users reporting, that after install of an updated (lited) image WU download and install the latest update again.
But EC package removed from WinSxS updating to 1904(1-2-3).685 give error.
francis11
I checked the WinSxS DIR & found two folder related edge
amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.985_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 (empty)

amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.964_none_dd814ad7baba8b4e (only 1 file Edge.wim inside 102MB size)

And II only have the 19041.1 base ISO currently, can you or anyone having the latest ISO upload/share the EDGe folder you mentioned for this WInSxS DIR so that I can test

& is this error (wu update block) only related to the new CU v685 or common for every latest LCU releasing nowadays?

Could also be related to the empty folder trick according to GHacks dependig on the error code!?!
Ok, As you know, I did that trick to block edge installing via LCU, gonna test this first. But in the article, it's only mentioned about C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\ empty folder, & nothing about C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Edge, asking this because I place the empty EDGE folder in both place.

nuhi said 'adds to the complexity.' & today I can see there is also another new version released from v7916 to 7917, IDK what's the changelog/difference precisely in between these two versions as the changelog for both version seems the same.

francis11
I checked the WinSxS DIR & found two folder related edge
amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.985_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 (empty)

amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.964_none_dd814ad7baba8b4e (only 1 file Edge.wim inside 102MB size)

And II only have the 19041.1 base ISO currently, can you or anyone having the latest ISO upload/share the EDGe folder you mentioned for this WInSxS DIR so that I can test
Hi SM03-
Sure - have uploaded it here .(rar) or you can just install MS Edge for Business from here - latter should do the trick too.

& is this error (wu update block) only related to the new CU v685 or common for every latest LCU releasing nowadays?
I think we've to wait to see what's happening when 21H2 is released - but for now it certainly seems that the integrated EDGE package in LCU have some dependencies regarding WU.
Ok, As you know, I did that trick to block edge installing via LCU, gonna test this first. But in the article, it's only mentioned about C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\ empty folder, & nothing about C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Edge, asking this because I place the empty EDGE folder in both place.
Can't tell if it's one or the another folder tricking the update issue - also why i don't answered you in the other tread as i was waitting to what's happening with the latest update .985.
Funny thing is i use MS EDGE my self as it organize favorites just the way i like it with a simple dropdown - somehow similar to IE, which i think is more complex in all other browsers i tested on the chrome engine. And the good thing is that MS EDGE now support all the extensions like Chrome e.g.: Adguard, PopUpOff (great for videos dont't follow your schrolling minimized and the eternal webshop newsletter popups) etc.

SM03, tested your preset (changed it to .964) and then allowed WU after install to update to .985.
No errors.
So please next time save the real preset and remember what you were doing in-between, may not be related to NTLite, or at least not directly.
Test yourself if you don't believe me, this is the third time I'm testing this for you, not any more without any direct path to error.

francis11, good to know, adds to the complexity.
nuhi

Yes, I manually edited the PRESET earlier, only replaced the LCU name & Win ISO name, otherwise, it's the same that I used to create the v964 ISO earlier. & it's the real/actual preset that I used. & I really don't know what's causing the issue then as it's the same for all the three PC I formatted & installed with the same ISO, all three uses are different & normal user including me, I/we just normally use the PC for our day to day work, nothing much.

I read somewhere in MDL earlier that cleanup jobs & manual resetbase jobs may cause this kind of issue related to Windows update breaking. Even I/we don't do those manually, so really clueless about this issue.

Anyway, it's not about any disbelief, as you're saying to test me, but I experience this issue mostly since I've been using NTLited images for last 3/4 yrs occasionally, without knowing the real cause. That's all.

Hi SM03-
Sure - have uploaded it here .(rar) or you can just install MS Edge for Business from here - latter should do the trick too.

I think we've to wait to see what's happening when 21H2 is released - but for now it certainly seems that the integrated EDGE package in LCU have some dependencies regarding WU.

Can't tell if it's one or the another folder tricking the update issue - also why i don't answered you in the other tread as i was waitting to what's happening with the latest update .985.
Funny thing is i use MS EDGE my self as it organize favorites just the way i like it with a simple dropdown - somehow similar to IE, which i think is more complex in all other browsers i tested on the chrome engine. And the good thing is that MS EDGE now support all the extensions like Chrome e.g.: Adguard, PopUpOff (great for videos dont't follow your schrolling minimized and the eternal webshop newsletter popups) etc.

francis11 I deleted the Microsoft/Edge blank (empty) folders that I placed earlier in Prog File & Prof file x86, both place, then reboot & CK for the update, & end of downloading & installing the latest CU, I got this

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80073701)"

I did twice, same result.

Now, for the 2nd step, I came here to Dl your package you shared in your last comment, but access denied, I suggest you to upload that in zippyshare, then after receiving that package I will proceed with 2nd method i.e. placing those folders under WinSxS & then Check whether the issue resolve or not.

My bad - download should be avaible now. - also install Edge for Entreprise should make it reappear in WinSxS.

My bad - download should be avaible now. - also install Edge for Entreprise should make it reappear in WinSxS.
francis11 thanks for both, the upload & the link
install the latest EDGE from your given link+placed the full folder that you shared here within WinSxS folder, then reboot, & checked for update, same result

Downloading, installing & then this

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80073701)"

Tried three times.

So now can we say that the error isn't based on EDGE absence or blocking?

SM03
Did you keep both folders in WinSxS when updating as you mentioned earlier or did you only leave one of them?
- amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.985_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 (empty) The given link
- amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.964_none_dd814ad7baba8b4e (only 1 file Edge.wim inside 102MB size).
Asking coz error 0x80073701 refers to ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING, among other things - so something went wrong on your installation, as it seems that it may be another component missing or faulty in your WinSxS folder or the doubled EDGE folder maybe!?!
Try keep only the version your W10 is.

I notized too, that NTL don't remove, removed components in the WinSxS folder anymore, so unless you've removed something yourself in WinSxS from scripts or somehow else (Defender or ?) - i can't point any issue other than the doubled EDGE folder as NUHI tested your preset is working.

Last edited:
SM03
Did you keep both folders in WinSxS when updating as you mentioned earlier or did you only leave one of them?
- amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.985_none_dd6cab49bac9dc87 (empty) The given link
- amd64_microsoft-windows-edgechromium_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.964_none_dd814ad7baba8b4e (only 1 file Edge.wim inside 102MB size).
Asking coz error 0x80073701 refers to ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING, among other things - so something went wrong on your installation, as it seems that it may be another component missing or faulty in your WinSxS folder or the doubled EDGE folder maybe!?!
Try keep only the version your W10 is.

I notized too, that NTL don't remove, removed components in the WinSxS folder anymore, so unless you've removed something yourself in WinSxS from scripts or somehow else (Defender or ?) - i can't point any issue other than the doubled EDGE folder as NUHI tested your preset is working.
francis11
yes, here's the ss
1.png
I removed defender too when NTLited the ISO as I use my own 3rd party A/V.
I normally use PC without any other modification, just uninstall (or say try to get rid of these two) EDGE & Defender every month after receiving & installing the LCU, while after the EDGE trick, that's all, nothing much.

But it seems removing those component starts giving such unavoidable updating related issue, so I guess if there's no way to handle these kind of compatibility things, & MSFT tightening the integration of these components with LCU, then I have no option to keep them both even though I don't want to, just because of the Windows Update.

& I tried NTL install update function too, to install the LCU, that didn't work either.

Back