Windows Update problem

moonwalker

Hi,
I use the latest version of NTLite on Windows 7 x64.

I've used a preset from Emma / @Clanger, which I have grabbed from here.
I want to use this preset, because this preset don't need a lot of drivers and services.

Speed and less memory usage is more important, then the usage of the eating Windows which slurps a lot of capacity from the hard drive.

Ok, networking is fully working to my wishes and desires, except that I can't install any update from Windows Update, or installing it manually (with a few exceptions left).
I get strange behavior of errors (80070002, 80070003, 80072467 or other errors that starts with 8007xxxx) the installation and update database is corrupt during installation of Windows 7, while I checked it with "dism /online /scanhealt".

Maybe I'm overlooked, and I have forget something to enable/disable services or add critical component(s) to get Windows update working correctly.

Any help will be appreciated. A preset file is attached.

P.S. I don't use a virtual machine.
I test my images on real hardware with a virtual drives.

I shall write in a couple of days, a good manual, for a perfect test environment which is (super) fast (depends on your hardware), as I use.

I have 2 w7 presets, W7-Installwim-Barebone-v5 and W7-Installwim-barebone+networking-v2, which one did you use? Both were fully tested for stability providing you used them exactly. Keeping/modifying the drivers shouldnt cause any trouble but changing any features might do. Barebone v5 was quick on a slow ish kaveri apu and 7200rpm hdds. Use it on Bristol Ridge or Zen with ssd or nvm-e ssd it should be fast.

Its nice you know other people are still using them :).

Barebone v5 was built for iso/ntlite servicing only so all windows updating and networking stuff was either removed or disabled in Settings and Services. It also has Tweaks.

Services - Cryptographic Services - Needed for Windows Update - Set to Default.
Services - System Event Notification Service - Set to Default.
Services - Windows Modules Installer(Trusted Installer) - Set to Default

Components - Compatibilty - Tick Windows Update, this should protect anything needed.

Components - System - Windows Component Database - Manifest Backup(WinSxs\Backup) - Notes say that removal should not break anything. Keep this component.

moonwalker, If that lot doesnt solve it then have a look at Settings, anything that has been changed will show in bold, reset them to Default. And if that lot dont work then at least we can rule them out. :)

Last edited:
Nuhi, had problems posting a new comment, i get an error bar at the top of the page so i had to edit the above post. But i was able topost this :confused:

Build 5790 - Cannot change Pagefile size to "-", en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_vl_build_x64_dvd_u_677791.iso previously updated with kb3125574, no removals or tweaks.

Last edited:
moonwalker, use these search results - search1, search2. The following link may be related, link "Windows Update broken for some w7 users".

I have moved my presets to this forum :).

Last edited:
Thanks @Clanger.

I've rebuild my preset with your W7-Installwim-Barebone-v5 preset.

I've tried many ways to repair my errors of windows update, without any result.

I will take a look to my preset during the evening, otherwise tomorrow.
I shall inform later.

Hi @Clanger,

Good news, after bad news.

Cryptographic Services was only disabled to start automatically and I deleted by NTLite the directory of WinSXS.
After reinstall Windows 7, I got only error 80070003.
I was searching on the net, but without any result, till one told, that Widows Firewall must be disabled for one time.

It was trial on error, and I had a little result. After one update was succesfully installed, I had hope, and I did the next couple of updates.

No way, all updates are failing again. I did it again, one by one. At KB2862330 I got the problem again, and skipped this update.
I was able to install all updates which are left, to do in one time and with good result, without any error.

End result, KB2862330 is or was the big problem of all errors/failures.
Need more research what this f*ck update does.

P.S. I had used your preset, after installing/integrating the latest updatepack7r2 of simplex.

Back