Windows Update Services is greyed out and marked as red

dempi

Hello NTLite users im new here and as you know i was modifying windows 11's install.wim and somehow windows update services is greyed out and it is marked as red and windows updates from install.wim was disabled, and it was annoying. if somebody like a member or a mod can help me why asap.

I don't have any license keys, I'm using the free trial version of NTLite. but here.

Attachments

• Auto-saved 36f9758c.xml
    15.8 KB
Weird, but I just wanted to ask since before I used it, I removed all the bloatware except for the pinned apps from the start menu.

Also there's a second problem, Everytime when boot to the modified version of windows 11, It shows the Windows 10 logo then showed the Windows 11 Logo over the windows 10 logo, after that it says that it needs a driver.

A tip for save Component removals is to click on the Compatibility bottom in the upper left corner of NTL and choose the options you know you need and their related components will be protected from removal.

You're on W7, which limits what you can do with W10 or 11 images -- just component removals, Settings, Unattended and Post-Setup.
No updates or features integration, unless you move to a host or VM running W10 or later...

Then why did the website shows that NTLite is compatible for windows 7 but not all features you can remove it? (not talking about premium but for windows 7 users.) Atleast I might move on to updating to Windows 11 since my main pc meets the requirements, thanks for the help.

W7/8 are too old to handle W10/11 updates, which include monthly update packages, Features on Demand, language packs and Appx packages.

Removals work because it's always easier to remove files (regardless of version). All the other non-update NTLite features work on W7 because they're platform independent.

The exact wording on NTLite's Features page:
And you can edit images in all supported host combinations, for example editing Windows 10 image from a Windows 7 as a host is supported.
There's room to add a clear statement that W10 is required for update integration.

It's recommended to upgrade to W10/ 11 from W7 first if you have a productkey for W7 and want to keep your license for Windows instead of a clean install if your hardware meet the requirements.

Last edited:
dempi it's not clear what you want, would it remove Windows Update service? It is not recommended to do this before activating Windows.

Back