WinSxS Cleanup and Compact OS

cooler

I have 3 noob questions.

1. There's a safe way to clean, reduce winsxs before create the iso or when it's creating ?

2. Using the Compact OS command have impact on performance ?

3. nuhi it's possible to add a option in NTlite to do the safe clean ?

I've started using the Compact OS on post setup but i wanted to make install size minor without removing Windows Component Store or compacting.

Hi,

1. Use the NTLite - Updates - Clean updates - DISM Compatible method. Even then it is not 100% safe, or is very picky on what can be integrated before it. That's related to Windows packages in general, not about NTLite in particular. The "Custom cleanup" is NTLite only.
So best is before anything is done to the image, but after cumulative update integration of course.
NTLite tries to automatically do that by inserting the cleanup at the right place, however if you find a set of updates that breaks it on a clean original ISO, let me know.

2. That's a question of how powerful the CPU is, how many cores. On a medium range today PCs, no impact.
Also you might want to wait a second more to boot Windows up, but it takes less space on a constraint disk/partition.
It won't slow down the normal operations, maybe (not tested) the search function for the C drive.
Potentially antiviruses might be slowed down, if they are unintelligently rescanning OS files.

3. Safe as in updating Windows after removals?
For now the safe cleaning is to enable Windows Update compatibility (and Servicing Stack with that), and whatever is removed should not break updating.
Just remember to Remove Reinstalls after each update, as lately updates are returning removed but updated bits.

i've been using Clean Updates Custom in 20H2 v2 iso, without Compact OS install size is about 12~~14gb and winsxs get 6gb, is it normal ?

cooler 12to14gb sounds about right on a standard non lited install. 8gb ish for the os, 4to6gb with pagefile/hibernation/restore etc. stripping out winsxs will save you space, see here.

the search and scan data for Defender and Search can take up quite a bit of space too so if you can disabble them you could save 500mb+.
compacting may reduce performance, personally i wouldnt bother.

Last edited:
If you want future compatible os don't bother slimming down windows... you will have problems during updates.

cooler 12to14gb sounds about right on a standard non lited install. 8gb ish for the os, 4to6gb with pagefile/hibernation/restore etc. stripping out winsxs will save you space, see here.

the search and scan data for Defender and Search can take up quite a bit of space too so if you can disabble them you could save 500mb+.
compacting may reduce performance, personally i wouldnt bother.
i'll take a look on this, thank you

If you want future compatible os don't bother slimming down windows... you will have problems during updates.
still thinking about that, think i'm gonna leave it that way and save some time to learn more about the rest of components

Back