Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding updates to Windows 7 all-in-one

I have a Windows 7 DVD with ei.cfg removed so I can choose which version to install. If I want to add updates using NTLite, do I have to do this 5 times for Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate or is there a faster way? It gives me the option of which version to load when selecting install.wim. I don't want to create new ISO files for each individual version as just having one updated DVD is far simpler... Thanks, Kevin

Comments

• Hi Kevin,

yeah, "batched processing" is in todo currently, aimed for after 1.0 final.
    Meaning for now you would need to do all manually - mount - load preset - apply.
    I haven't heard of a faster way, like integrate into all images from one action.
    But I will add automatism for the repeatable actions to be done by the tool, just not "tomorrow".
  • Many thanks for the fast response.  I have used the simplix tool in the meantime...
  • Sorry, one further question.  Do I need to untick Export Image when applying?
  • Yes, here is some more info.
  • edited December 2014
    Nuhi, I tried one "trick" on Windows 7 using DISM.

1) Mount and integrate everything into Starter Edition, commit image
    2) Then i made 4 copies of install.wim (1.wim, 2.wim..)
    3) Mount 2.wim, then run this command
    /Set-Edition:HomeBasic
    4) Repeating this with next images with: HomePremium, Professional, Ultimate
    5) Merge those wim into one install.wim, rebuild image
    6) Updated AIO is finished

I think, this method of updating AIO installation is faster then repeating intergration process 5 times

More info i found here

This can be solution in AIO updating, except Enterprise Edition..
  • George, interesting, if the content really is the same and only difference is that edition tag.
    What I mean is the following, let's say an Ultimate edition has more features installed, compared to Home.
    If we make all from one, then they are all the same. Now it could be they install those extra features at the end of the setup depending on the edition tag.
    Definitely will save this info to try later. Thanks.
  • Yes, all editions have needed files in winsxs folder. I think..
    Give us please report about your test :)
  • edited December 2014
    Today I tried tests with converted Windows 7 Ultimate x64 from Home Basic edition. And Original Ultimate. I started from
    cs_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677376.iso
     when i compared both mounted wims there was a lot of different files...

But when i installed it in VirtualBox VHD, mounted and again compared, here is a result. I don´t know how .NET servicing works. Maybe it can help you :)

Left side is from original ultimate, second converted

EDIT: Added pictures
    EDIT2: I managed to install Windows 7 Starter x64!

• edited December 2014
    When i was digging about flaging and branding windows 7, i found how to install Starter Edition x64 SP1!

I started with x64 Home Basic, then i mounted it, unlocked packages using this . Nex I extracted Starter packages from mounted image using this

Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Starter-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Starter-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~cs-CZ~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Starter-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-Foundation-Starter-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-Foundation-Starter-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~cs-cz~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-Foundation-Starter-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-us~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-Component-SKU-Starter-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-Starter-Features-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.cab
    Networking-MPSSVC-Rules-StarterEdition-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.cab

Integrating those packages into Home Basic "converted" it do Starter. I changed description, name, flag. commit image.
    then i edited product.ini in sources folder and in boot.wim index 2. 

[BuildInfo]
    staged=STARTER,HOMEBASIC,HOMEPREMIUM,PROFESSIONAL,ENTERPRISE,ULTIMATE

I also added enterprise, cause i think, it can be also unlocked.

Now i was able to install it. But somewhere must be thing which breake dism command /Get-CurrentEdition /Get-TargetEditions /Set-Edition,
    dism say 
    Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Current edition is:
    Error: 87
    The specified package is not valid Windows package.
  • George King, looking good. That .NET difference is mostly deployed Media Center, an optional feature not available on all editions.
    So what could be done is start from Ultimate, copy it, uninstall features that do not fit for lower editions and then set edition accordingly. Should resolve deployed feature differences on the image.
    Shows promise, definitely better than parallel quad-mounting integrating - but can be delicate and is still questionable if it is the same result.

I haven't looked at it yet, probably MS has a good reason why are editions split per image and not by a switch from a single image - as this indicates that being the same.
    Could be it's just to keep things tidy, if OEMs add a lot of difference depending on the edition.

This also looks promising in a way that we could deploy a script to USB stick and switch editions on the fly from a single image (for example SHIFT+F10 on Language window, or add it to Runonce of boot.wim or something).
    It maybe requires a reboot to reload new image edition setting to memory, depending when it is being read (if before when we insert change).