Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB as main OS

The LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) release of Windows 10 has peaked my interested as it will only get Security/bug fixes (for 10 years), without any new features. So if you want to get the benefits of the latest Windows OS, while minimizing any potentially problematic future updates, LTSB may be the way to go.

The Wikipedia article does indicate that it won't come with Microsoft's new Edge web browser though.

Anyone else thinking of using Win 10 Enterprise LTSB as the main OS ?

Comments

• There is also LTSB N (N stands for "Not with Media Player"), so even less clutter!
  • Yeah, quite interesting, some more details here, for those wondering.
    I don't know if an end user can even purchase an Enterprise edition.

Btw I'm totally weirded out by the forced updates and features policies for most of the editions.
    I mean we can disable the service, but still... what was wrong with Automatic by default.
    Sounds like "if you will use our product, we can install on your machine whatever we want and you agreed in advance to it".
    Kinda more forceful than before, I wasn't aware that there was a big issue of home users turning off their Windows Update by mistake.
    This is maybe about Samsung or whoever was blocking Windows Update recently in the news.
  • Money is no longer enough, they want us to also sign our souls over to Microsoft!

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

Whatever happened to the term spyware?
  • edited July 2015
    They all are driving the "online/cloud/service" bandwagon, which while you are using those WEB apps, you are basically tracked and the app is controlled 100% of the time (as it's on their server) and no one complained, so why not do the same with Windows if it improves the experience.
    Because that was our sanctuary, where we used to step down from the cloud and rest in privacy! :)

Well, Chrome OS vs Windows is much blurrier now.
  • Interesting information here re. LTSB (seems like you can do manual updates in a round-about way):

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/63112-CONFIRMED-LTSB-Enterprise-lets-you-manually-download-updates-more-goodies-inside

Seems like LTSB is more like Windows versions of old in that you don't get any new features, but do get Security Updates and Bug fixes, while other editions of Win 10 are now on a rapid release cycle (similar to NTLite) in that you get new features and bug fixes (plus security fixes) with each update.

Seriously considering trying and then using LTSB (probably N version) as my main OS. Not sure if I will miss App Store and Apps though. Won't miss Cortana or Edge though.

Getting Win 10 configured, tweaked and locked down (if possible) to my satisfaction is looking like a fair bit of work though. :(
  • XYZXYZ
    edited July 2015
    I tried the Group Policy tweaks to enable manual downloading of updates and couldn't get it to work from a VM which was connected via Ethernet to host WiFi (ie. VM shows connection as Ethernet, not WiFi). Downloads are still just downloaded and installed automatically.

I think the Download button may only be displayed, either if connected via WiFi, or if connected via WiFi AND the connection is set as metered. Can't see how to test this as I don't seem to be able to get access to WiFi card from my VM.

If anyone else can connects via WiFi, can they test this out to see if the Download button is displayed (if not set connection as metered and try again)
  • It seems like the only options re. Updates is to either:

- just allow it to download/install updates (not so good if not on LTSB, but Defer Updates option helps in case there are issues with updates)
    - Disable Windows Update service (and block with firewall for double protection), and manually install updates (eg. using something like WHDownloader to check/download updates)
  • edited August 2015
    Windows Server Technical Preview 2 is a pleasant experience that seems right up your guys' alley.

after post it boots to idle desktop in about 7 seconds once Desktop Experience is installed.

Also, running procmon (Sysinternals) on a clean install shows a refreshing 1 or 2 operations every 5-10 seconds
  • I've been using LTSB Ent x64 for a little while now. It is pretty useable (like other Win10's) if you tweak the hell out of it.

As far as updates are concerned, "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001 will solve that issue (without having to disable a 'service' I do believe).

People have been trying to curb telemetry and other things by means of collecting entries you can put in a hosts file as to block things for better privacy. I've applied such a list and have experienced no problems with those blocks.

Since I don't use Modern apps nor use a MS account, I prefer to run Win10 Ent with built-in Admin account (as I always do with Win7, also). I was able to construct a good Autounattend.xml that takes me straight to Desktop; I use SetupComplete.cmd and a custom cmd to apply a 1000 line reg file so now it's basically a completely unattended affair. I even have it install pre-regged Classic Shell for the start menu. The reg file basically puts all the camera, mic, etc., sharing to disabled, turns off telemetry, etc. I created cascading context menus for desktop context (Computer or 'This PC' context is now protected in the registry, so I don't use that anymore) so I have all the vital tools and apps at my command by right-clicking. The SetupComplete.cmd contains some lines that turn off certain privacy-related elements (this is based on murphy78's work):

::::::::::Disable bull privacy stuff::::::::::::::
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "SearchboxTaskbarMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo" /v "Enabled" /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Input\TIPC" /v "Enabled" /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\User Profile" /v "HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut" /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-90F6-51056BFE4B44}" /v "Value" /d "Deny" /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings" /v "AcceptedPrivacyPolicy" /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /v "RestrictImplicitTextCollection" /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /v "RestrictImplicitInkCollection" /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore" /v "HarvestContacts" /d 0 /f
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /D 0 /F
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Software Protection Platform" /v "NoGenTicket" /D 1 /F
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /D 0 /F
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /D 0 /F

which seems to work well also.

Having done all this installing 10 is a smooth experience when compared to the default way MS does it.
  • Hello everyone!
    If you are interested to support LTSB as your main OS, please contribute in this MS Answers thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/media-feature-pack-installs-in-windows-10-n/984f87b2-cc63-41cf-a432-24df1f8b3fbf
    Earlier or later we may need to install the Media Feature Pack even on 'NT' LTSBs.
    Thank you!