Is there a list of essential windows 7 updates for modern hardware compatibility ?

KaptanJackSparrow

I was wondering if anyone has complied a list of essential hardware and functional updates ?

What I mean by that is updates for modern hardware and software such as usb 3 support, NVMe support. Windows Root Certificates, Code signing support etc. all the updates that windows absolutely cannot do without.

I'm not really looking for security updates or patches as security is a non issue.

Always is better to use all updates that exist. You never know what they fixed or added.
How much do you need updated ISO? If you are interested in testing PM me for more informations.

True but is there any list of critically important updates with human friendly descriptions of what they do ? I don't want to just blindly include every security update.

ms has a habit of slipping stuff inside other stuff so i wouldnt trust cherry picking. stuff the whole bloody lot in and full steam ahead cos you can lite stuff out.

err... Not sure I really want to do that since some of those updates really slow things down... but I'll keep that in mind. I guess it's probably foolish to ask if any majorly important KB's come to mind ?

the only updates that spring to mind are cpu vulnerability updates that in some cases really hammer a system. and no, i cant remember which ones they are but it has been discussed here at some point, do a thorough search, if not try the old legacy archived forum.

InSpectre - "Easily examine and understand any Windows system's hardware and software capability to prevent Meltdown and Spectre attacks".
go through this forum search. there is tons of info on the world wide wait. if you find the thread here post a link please, i need to add it to my interesting stuff page.

Last edited:
thanks for the information clanger, I'll have to take some time digging through it all, and yes Spectre and Meltdown are an example of exactly the type of patches I'm looking to avoid, I'm sailing in the ocean with a pasta strainer as a boat and every piece of bubble gum I use to fill a hole just makes my boat a little heavier and risks opening up 3 new holes. windows security in a nutshell.

Usually those were applied as either, OS, Firmware, and or bios updates if my memory serves me correctly. however there were other updates to protect against heapspray and stack overflows that also could have a very negative performance.

You may find the Double Agent Exploit by Cybellum interesting, I had a good laugh when I read the details of their proof of concept and how it turns a fire extinguisher into a flamethrower ;) https://cybellum.com/doubleagent-taking-full-control-antivirus/

The leaked Exploit IrateMonk and cottonmouth was also interesting and kinda proves the point that the os "security" really doesn't matter.

back on topic in the mean time while I'm digging if you or anyone else have anymore insight to add let me know.

Back