Process dependency on RAM

laywee

I happened to notice that if in virtualbox I allocate 2048 RAM for my iso(instead of 4096), I get almost half as many processes. How can that be? Is there an addiction?
1709274744215.png1709274886996.png

When did you take these measurements? After a new install, Windows can be busy with background activity because it doesn't try to finish everything at the same time. Some update tasks are delayed to keep good user performance.

Wait about 20-25 minutes for Windows to settle down, before making any benchmarks.

When did you take these measurements? After a new install, Windows can be busy with background activity because it doesn't try to finish everything at the same time. Some update tasks are delayed to keep good user performance.

Wait about 20-25 minutes for Windows to settle down, before making any benchmarks.
1709282191750.png

I happened to notice that if in virtualbox I allocate 2048 RAM for my iso(instead of 4096), I get almost half as many processes. How can that be?
Windows automatically allocates resource usage based on the amount of RAM. This is why many "gamer" images deceptively use screenshots from VM installs to impress their audiences with, since it drastically lowers processes/threads/handles without any actual tweaking effort or knowledge.

There are many factors that affect resource usage, but for this question regarding task manager, one tweak (link) is mainly responsible. The thing that I remind people about each time it comes up, is to test and benchmark this before using it, because it might not be beneficial for users seeking maximum performance, as the purpose behind the tweak is to lower resources by lowering stability and vice versa.

Last edited:
Back