NTLite 9783 Windows could not complete the installation after adding a Package

niros

1. Base ISO windows 10 17763.1 used for more then 6 years.
  2. NTLite 9783
    Add a Package - Service Stack Update-kb5005112 (downloaded from microsoft)
  3. Install in VM Hang in phase "Just a moment"
  4. Reboot
  5. Message "Windows could not complete the installation"
    1710416391447.png
  6. If we use NTLite 9525 there are no issues

BTW Windows 10 v1607 has the same issue but we must use v9477 to add update packages.

Attachments

• 0-win10ENT-1809-17763.1-Auto-saved.xml
    4.7 KB
  • NTLite.log
    11.3 KB
Thanks, but I now tested the latest version (same as 9783) with 17763.1 + SS KB5005112 and no issue installing.
I will now retest with your preset, just in case it's some detail.

Also what is your update cache option in the Updates page toolbar? Mine is permanent cache.
Maybe try rebuilding it, Erase in Menu - Settings, next to Extracted updates cache.
That will trigger re-extraction of the update, maybe the cache is corrupted.

Erase button is disabled in Menu-Settings.
All these directories are empty
Toolbar Settings "Updates"
1710419225692.png
Where is the permanent Option?

Permanent is actually Parallel + Cache. But it should not be different than Parallel, just no need to extract next time when reusing same files.

Still nothing, tried various combinations, even updated boot.wim as well.
Here are some ideas:

- enable Integrate - Updates on the Apply page - Reapply - Boot.wim - Setup edition, to add the same servicing stack to it as well, just to refresh the boot.wim a bit, might add Dynamic Update from online update list while at it, to update the setup files.

- try the SS from NTLite downloads in Updates - Add Latest Online Updates, just so we are testing the exact same file.
It's also downloaded from Microsoft.

- then if the issue is still there, other than you packaging everything up for me (original image + SS file + preset) and upload to some site, I am out of ideas.
If you do, send me a PM, as it's not allowed to share ISOs publicly.

Thanks.

If we change the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\FirstBoot\PostOobe]
"MachineTasks"="start /MIN C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe /c C:\\Windows\\Setup\\Scripts\\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0"

This gives a error exitCode: [0x2] (from setupact.log)

to:
"MachineTasks"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe /c C:\\Windows\\Setup\\Scripts\\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0"

The installation finished without an issue.

Does NTLite write this registry key?
The SetupComplete.cmd is exactly the same file.

Yes.

Hm, that's weird, is the Start command working at all after setup on that OS?
Go to CMD and for example type:
start /?
If it prompts usual help parameters, it works.

Was the image pre-edited somehow?

What is in that setupcomplete.cmd?

Thanks.

setupcomplete.cmd:
@echo off
Rem after install in %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\
del /q /f "%0"
exit /b 0

Actual it is a template/placeholder for me , all the commands moved to a batch file which i run after install.

Is the command:
"start /MIN C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe /c C:\\Windows\\Setup\\Scripts\\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0"
a valid command? must start /MIN not after the cmd.exe /c ?

In win10 19045 it also gives an error but the setup continues:

from Panther\UnattendGC\setupact.log:

Info [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue: Executing command line: start /MIN C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0
Error [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommand: Failed to create process [start /MIN C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0]. Error: 2

Info [windeploy.exe] RunUserProvidedScript: Found script at [C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd]; executing with UI hidden...
Info [windeploy.exe] RunUserProvidedScript: Successfully executed script; (returned with exit code 0x1)

Last edited:
For complete accuracy it should be: "cmd /c start /min C:\\Windows\\System32\\Setup\\Scripts\\SetupComplete.cmd & exit /b 0"

This way, there's no possible confusion over the execution shell. But that's my take.

We must avoid commands with drive letters.
I did a test install (w10.19045) on partition 2 with drive letter D and the:

[windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue

step is not shown in the log, so I suppose it is not executed at all.

The file SetupComplete.cmd is on the D drive and not on the C drive.

niros, thank you, please try the latest version, build 9812+.
Let me know if the post-setup - Before logon executes now.

If it doesn't, please attach some sample, like for after logon commands use
command
"pause"
to see popup at the end.
For before logon, something simple like 7-zip installer with /S parameter.

NTlite 9785, W10.19045.4701

Command specified in the FirstBoot reg key is still invalid.
setupact.log:
Info [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue: Executing command line: start /MIN cmd.exe /c D:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0
Error [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommand: Failed to create process [start /MIN cmd.exe /c D:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0]. Error: 2
Error [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue: Command line execution failed; Error: 2

SetupComplete.cmd
is executed in the following RunUserProvidedScript step of windeploy.exe.

Could it be that the problem comes from Load --> Add of a preset obtained with a version of NTLite 9780 - in which there is no certain information?

NTlite 9785, W10.19045.4701

Command specified in the FirstBoot reg key is still invalid.
setupact.log:
Info [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue: Executing command line: start /MIN cmd.exe /c D:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0
Error [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommand: Failed to create process [start /MIN cmd.exe /c D:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd&exit /b 0]. Error: 2
Error [windeploy.exe] ExecuteCommandFromValue: Command line execution failed; Error: 2

SetupComplete.cmd
is executed in the following RunUserProvidedScript step of windeploy.exe.
Of course I tested the script execution, and here we see why C:\Windows didn't work for you, as yours is D: during setup.
But to still have an error, makes no sense, it's like SetupComplete.cmd is not there.

Could it be that you are editing the image as ISO, and then deploying only WIM?
If so, please redo with WIM isolated from the beginning, so that the tool packs all into it.
You should see image when loaded, status "Isolated".

I keep repeating myself and I'm sorry...
- "Isolated" image
- Added Defender and MSIX/APPX updates as per screen
Snap73.jpg
-Apply = processing
I receive an error warning attached
Snap74.jpg
and it does NOT integrate the 3 MSIX/APPX files as attached.
Snap75.jpg
Surely I'm the one who makes mistakes but... I'm curious...

Of course I tested the script execution, and here we see why C:\Windows didn't work for you, as yours is D: during setup.
But to still have an error, makes no sense, it's like SetupComplete.cmd is not there.

Could it be that you are editing the image as ISO, and then deploying only WIM?
If so, please redo with WIM isolated from the beginning, so that the tool packs all into it.
You should see image when loaded, status "Isolated".
NTLite 9819, W10.19045.4107

• Create the install.wim isolated with post-setup-before login (Rem dummy line)
  • The Setupcomplete.cmd is now in windows\setup\scripts instead in $OEM$\$$\setup\scripts
  • Create an ISO with this install.wim
  • Install in VMWare C drive.
  • Same Error 'Failed to create process'
  • 'start /MIN cmd.exe /c C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd' is a valid command in the cmd environment.
  • If we execute the command in Run (Winkey-R) command I get an error:
    1710971309874.png
  • is the FirstBoot\PostOOBE command running in a cmd environment?
  • For me the (temp) 'workaround' is deleting the firstboot reg key by adding this to the preset.
    I do this in the first step where the (update) packages are added.
    For win10 v1607 and 1809, because the install of windows is aborted.
  • For windows 10 & 11 the Firstboot regkey is not needed ($OEM$\$$.. is still executed)
  • What is the function of adding the FirstBoot Regkey command in NTLite?

Last edited:
I keep repeating myself and I'm sorry...
- "Isolated" image
- Added Defender and MSIX/APPX updates as per screen
View attachment 11481
-Apply = processing
I receive an error warning attached
View attachment 11482
and it does NOT integrate the 3 MSIX/APPX files as attached.
View attachment 11483
Surely I'm the one who makes mistakes but... I'm curious...
I have the same problem, but I managed to solve it.

1. When doing the first iso, when it fails, you abort the image creation process and download all the mounted images and then go to the "forget" option;

2. Then add the folder or original ISO image again, in my case I deleted the files from the unzipped ISO;

3. I unzipped the original ISO again and added it to NTLite and uploaded it, replicated the previous settings by importing the presets file.

4. Then the second time he created the ISO without errors.

Now my problem is the black screen before OOBE that doesn't go a

Thank You Note
I came to thank the developers and other people involved directly and indirectly in the NTLite program project for fixing the bug: "“Missing” error message on Appx/Msix update in the automated download with integrated scenario"

Now all we need to do is fix the bug posted on Post-42376

Back