Windows 11 installation stuck after "Installing Windows" while attempting restart

exelanz

Hi,

I have a Windows 11 ISO build with NTLite and I am using unattended setup. I can install this ISO on a VM without an issue, but on HW install the system hangs after the "Installing Windows" screen while attempting to do the first restart.

I have unplugged all non-essential devices. But no luck.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention that when I press reset button, PC restarts and continues the installation as normal.

Hi,

your preset is necessary to do any kind of debugging.
Potentially a post-setup command or an installer that asked for input, try moving them to After Logon.

It is the very first step in the installation process, where you indicate on which disk to install, after that it starts to prep & copy files, apply updates and then it wants to restart (screen with 10 second countdown). After countdown it tries to restart and this is where it hangs. So I am not getting to the post-setup stuff.

Would you like me to share the preset?(Attached it to this post)

My problem is similar to what was reported here: https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...blems-with-installation-windows-11-home.2476/

But my freeze happens on HW not on VM.

Attachments

• preset.xml
    12.4 KB
Last edited:
During this stage, Setup is updating bcdstore to force a reboot into the same install volume. On the physical PC, do you have a dual-boot or multiple disk configuration which isn't mirrored in VM? The reset unblocks the boot selection, so Windows can resume.

The way to confirm is to make a clone of this ISO (using the same install.wim), but with no Post-Setup.

Yes, physical system has different disk setup:
  1. RAID0 - Onboard M.2 SSD NVMe (Where I install 2x Windows 11 in different partitions)
  2. RAID0 - PCIe Expansion card with 4x SSD NVMe
  3. RAID0 - 2 SATA Disks
I kinda read about devices and multiple disk setups where errors occurred. So I guess that leaves me with disabling 2 & 3 while doing the installation.

Any further feedback/insight is more than welcome.

Many thanks.

The problem is WinPE Setup likes to get confused when it finds an existing multi-boot setup, or there's multiple drives which are marked bootable. It's optimized to think there's only one system disk, or it's the first time creating a multi-boot setup.

For these situations, the normal advice is to disconnect the other drives so Setup doesn't get confused.

garlin I tried disconnecting the other disk arrays to have only the one available that I use for booting. This did not work. I guess because I have two partitions on that disk with separate windows installation in multi boot fashion.

Is there a way to remove the multi-boot configuration before my fresh installation attempt?

I haven't done this in a while. Presumably, you want to erase one of the two dual-boots and install over it. And not make a triple-boot!

1. Backup your bcdstore data to another USB drive.
Code:
bcdedit /export F:\backup.bcd

2. Run bcdedit and list all the current entries.
3. Delete the other entry that isn't your current boot disk/volume.
Code:
bcdedit /delete {...GUID...}

Back