Edge not being removed in recent NTLite build on Win10 20H2 ISO

SM03

Anyone experiencing this same that the latest chromium-based new EDGE isn't being removed despite of selecting all the removal options in NTlite? I made a Win10 20h2 based ISO with the latest NTL build v2.1.0.7705 (Beta) & EDGE didn't remove, thought I missed something so made another, same result. So asking & posting here.

1.png

22.png

33.png

Windows 10 User tagging you.

Can it be the new MS EDGE is forced with the 20H2 Enablement Package upgrading to 20H2 or already integrated from version 19042.450 in MCT/ uupdump as i recall.
Just to test i tried remove MS EDGE from my updated 19042.572 image and it's reverted back to version 19041.572 probably coz it's a pending package added via UPDATES in NTL and not possible to cleanup without audit and capture.

From NTL changelog of 23. june it seems fully removal without "downgrading" or if even possible to remove MS EDGE from a audit-captured or \resetbase(d) 19042.xxx image is not supported before from version 21H1 - maybe Nuhi can clarify this more:

June 23, 2020​

NEW
Source: Win10 21H1 build 20150 support
Components: ‘Microsoft Edge (Chromium)’ removal

Can it be the new MS EDGE is forced with the 20H2 Enablement Package upgrading to 20H2 or already integrated from version 19042.450 in MCT/ uupdump as i recall.
Just to test i tried remove MS EDGE from my updated 19042.572 image and it's reverted back to version 19041.572 probably coz it's a pending package added via UPDATES in NTL and not possible to cleanup without audit and capture.

From NTL changelog of 23. june it seems fully removal without "downgrading" or if even possible to remove MS EDGE from a audit-captured or \resetbase(d) 19042.xxx image is not supported before from version 21H1 - maybe Nuhi can clarify this more:

June 23, 2020​

NEW
Source: Win10 21H1 build 20150 support
Components: ‘Microsoft Edge (Chromium)’ removal
As I mentioned, I didn't see this issue in earlier NTL build, i.e. v2.1.0.7656, but while making ISO in latest NTL v2.1.0.7705, this occurs, just to confirm, I made another ISO & install, same result, so reported here.

For more clarification, I use the base ISO build 19042.572 (not 19041.572 like yours) that's made directly from the 19041.572 ESD officially published by MSFT. & applied my (usual) PRESET.

Let's see if any other users are getting this same issue or not, then maybe nuhi would clarify and/or fix this.

Cannot replicate on .1 +Edge/FeatureUpdate to .630. Removed live and offline, both removed Edge.

Will get the .572 ISO and retest tomorrow.
Thanks for the extra info.

Cannot replicate on .1 +Edge/FeatureUpdate to .630. Removed live and offline, both removed Edge.

Will get the .572 ISO and retest tomorrow.
Thanks for the extra info.

nuhi thanks for acknowledging, one more thing I forgot to mention that I think is important to mention here after seeing your (this) comment,

earlier, with NTL v2.1.0.7656, I customised (tested) the base 20H1 19041.1 ISO just like you (with adding all the latest CU+SSU etc) & EDGE was removed, now that I tried this latest ISO build 19042.572 that's made directly from the v19041.572 ESD officially published by MSFT with latest NTL v2.1.0.7705 applying my (usual) PRESET, twice, EDGE didn't get removed.

Hope this would help somehow to make a clearer investigation to find out the flaw.

"Will get the .572 ISO and retest tomorrow."
-As far as I know, there is no 19042.572 ISO (correct me if I'm wrong) so you must get the 19042.572 ESD first, then convert it into a 19042.572 ISO (I only keep the PRO edition) then test.

If you want, I can upload my 19042.572 Windows 10 Pro (stock) ISO in G-drive & sent you the direct link.

Last edited:
Thanks, if your ISO is not Microsoft direct or UUP, please do upload.

Thanks, if your ISO is not Microsoft direct or UUP, please do upload.
As I told, my 19042.572 Windows 10 Pro (stock) ISO is made from the official 19042.572 ESD released my MSFT.

Pming you the link. Check IB.

Afaik MS in the new ESD builds had made it impossible to remove updates (from /audit /resetbase and capture), including 20H2 Enablement Package, of which MS EDGE is an integral part. Version 19042.xxx is still only a version 19041.xxx with 20H2 Enablement Package, of which the new MS EDGE (Chromium) is a part. If you instead download 19042.572 from uupdump without cleanup, then you can remove MS EDGE but end up with 19041.xxx.

OK, confirmed and fixed* in next one.
Fixed is more as a workaround as it's a some kind of an image issue (I got mine directly from MS and converted).
The Edge path is wrongly detected in NTFS function, returns folder 84.0.522.69 instead of 84.0.522.52.
When it's deployed, works fine, it's just the image.
Tested another WIM->ESD converter, same, but it uses the same library so it might be a library bug.

Anyway, will upload the workaround tonight and contact the library developer to double-check the conversion.

Thanks.

OK, confirmed and fixed* in next one.
Fixed is more as a workaround as it's a some kind of an image issue (I got mine directly from MS and converted).
The Edge path is wrongly detected in NTFS function, returns folder 84.0.522.69 instead of 84.0.522.52.
When it's deployed, works fine, it's just the image.
Tested another WIM->ESD converter, same, but it uses the same library so it might be a library bug.

Anyway, will upload the workaround tonight and contact the library developer to double-check the conversion.

Thanks.
nuhi

Thanks for confirming.

One thing to clear, Did you test that with the ISO that I provided you via gdrive link? Or you tested with any other ISO image of your own?

Also, can I expect a reply for the other things that I've asked over there in PM? Or you just deliberately ignoring those & won't answer until I post those publicly too here like this issue & some other member start engaging into those threads like this?

nuhi

Thanks for confirming.

One thing to clear, Did you test that with the ISO that I provided you via gdrive link? Or you tested with any other ISO image of your own?

Also, can I expect a reply for the other things that I've asked over there in PM? Or you just deliberately ignoring those & won't answer until I post those publicly too here like this issue & some other member start engaging into those threads like this?
I tested with my own as it was downloading before yours, and since it's ESD .572 and had the expected result, the search was over.

Don't know, haven't read the PMs, I guess your arrogance makes me not care.

I tested with my own as it was downloading before yours, and since it's ESD .572 and had the expected result, the search was over.

nuhi

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Will wait for the next release to test.

Don't know, haven't read the PMs, I guess your arrogance makes me not care.

Arrogance? Now, what does that comes from? I pm'ed you, you didn't reply, even for my older messages, so I felt ignored & hence asked here for better clarification as you keep replying here in the public thread but didn't revert to any of my messages, so I thought it'd be fair enough to ask you here as you are mostly replying here. Now, you're saying that I am being arrogant? where you left my messages & queries unanswered for months.

Disappointed, anyway, just to be clear, I didn't show any arrogance from my side, at least that's never was, is my intention, just asked for your reply & clarification, & that's the main objective of having & engaging in any forum, to anyone (not only you).

Still, If you felt so, am sorry to hear that, but that was completely unintentional.

& about your messages & reply, if you really don't read and/or don't care about them, & my message was bothering you & if don't wanna get any from me, just tell me that directly, here or in personal messages. As no one would like to be felt ignored & being the unwanted messenger, where his/her messages were not being answered, for days & months, & I said this in general/generic, that applies for anyone & everyone.

We had a good relationship in past, from our former experience, at least that's how I used to think. I never felt anything before asking/pming you directly i.e bothering you or something like that, & you too have been very helpful from my past memories.

Now, if you put this thing like the way you're saying, then that's something that I need to re-consider again & would change my perspective.

Now, I hope, this time around, you'd understand what I'm trying to say/convey here, without any other unwanted miscommunication.

Good day.

I apologize for being harsh, it was mainly due to your "if you don't reply to me on PMs, do I have to post it in public for you to see" attitude.
And the second basis for it was that on PMs I need to constantly explain myself in detail why I don't take your suggestions as an addition for the next version.
One can see the "tone", that you are angry as I haven't implemented the tweaks you wanted (specifically the input/regional ones from the PMs).

It's not easy for me to say no, everyone with user input knows this, it's a blessing and a curse to get feedback.
As at the end of the day no one has infinite time to implement it all, but also to constantly explain for each no.

So, I responded fast on Edge removal report as it influences many users and I gave you the benefit of the doubt even though I haven't seen the issue at first, that means something - slow reply is not personal, I judge by the topic, not the person.
And I'm slow to respond on PMs also as you stack up multiple questions before I reply to the first so it looks like hard work to reply to it all.

I hope I'm also more clear now - maybe I should have said you are being mean to me, like you're my boss :).

Fix uploaded, build 7720, let me know if it works as expected regarding this topic.

Thanks.

edit: reuploaded 7722, managed to find a real generic fix, it was my fault after all.

Last edited:
Hi,

It seems that the problem still exists

NTLite Beta 2.1.0.7722
Windows 10 Enterprise x64 19042.572 (From MediaCreationTool20H2 - Extracted ISO - ESD Converted to WIM via NTLite)

Installation without internet connexion

The only changes I made are :

Code:
--- Components

Network [ ] Microsoft Edge (Chromium)
Windows Apps - Apps [ ] Edge.Stable
System Apps [ ] EdgeDevToolsClient
System Apps [ ] Microsoft Edge (Legacy)

--- Settings

Explorer [Disabled] Edge Desktop shortcut creation
Windows Update [Disabled] Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser automatic install

Microsoft Edge (82.0.522.52) is still installed
The shortuct is also present on the Desktop

Regards.

Edit: Same thing with NTLite Stable 2.0.0.7722

Last edited:
For what it's worth, while auditing a 20H2 image today I noticed several items in Autoruns that looked like they were related to Edge and it's installation.

Shep, confirmed, fixed and uploaded. Let me know how it goes.

tharri, thanks.

Original and this issue are different, still the same result.
This component is different since it's just an installer that gets triggered after installation, like OneDrive.
Apologies on handling this one, million times a coder concluded: don't beautify code after the tests.

Back