Post-Setup not installing any programs

Zoom7000

I've been using the same preset for my Windows 10 images with NTLite and just creating a new image every time there was a major release. I created an image using 1909 and the post setup worked fine. However, when I now try to create an image using Windows 10 2004, the post setup won't install any of the programs.

I'm not getting any errors at all. Any idea what's going wrong?

Attachments

• Preset.xml
    65.3 KB
Try enabling OEM SetupComplete option in Unattended page toolbar.
It's needed if using an OEM Product Key, will have to prompt users for this, been asked too often.
Weird Microsoft choice.

Thanks.

nuhi, what changes did Microsoft do to Windows 10 that make the programs not install in post setup 'cause I'm having the similar issues with programs not installing after user first login.

It's explained above when it comes to the OEM product key disabling setupcomplete, enable the workaround on the Unattended page toolbar.

As for user login, that is not yet in the tool, the post-setup fires before user logon for now, machine level (all users only).
Plan is to make a switch to support post-logon as well.

It's explained above when it comes to the OEM product key disabling setupcomplete, enable the workaround on the Unattended page toolbar.

As for user login, that is not yet in the tool, the post-setup fires before user logon for now, machine level (all users only).
Plan is to make a switch to support post-logon as well.

I'm going to post soon (this weekend) related RunOnceEx tutorial with needed protected files (this should be splited from Internet Explorer componet in future) with easy managing silent setup folder. As this method is driven by OOBE.cmd, it should be more suitable for all users and all Windows version from 6.x that include Internet Explorer - iernonce.dll and related mui, but maybe more is needed to allow use RunOnceEx, Im going to test it on Windows 7 E or Windows 10 with completely removed Internet Explorer

As this method is driven by OOBE.cmd, it should be more suitable for all users and all Windows version from 6.x that include Internet Explorer - iernonce.dll and related mui, but maybe more is needed to allow use RunOnceEx, Im going to test it on Windows 7 E or Windows 10 with completely removed Internet Explorer

Programs that need some services running wont install, already tested and mentioned in the forums.

There are some programs that can be installed at a very early stage (Specialize), before OOBE.

Programs that need some services running wont install, already tested and mentioned in the forums.

There are some programs that can be installed at a very early stage (Specialize), before OOBE.
I don't mean installing during OOBE setup phase, but only about adding related registry key to run setups during first user logon

nuhi, cool I see what you are saying. For me I created an OOBE.cmd which is in the script folder along side the SetupCommand.cmd file. See the snip below.
OEM_Scripts.JPG

Below is the $OEM$ structure
OEM_Folders.JPG

I've tested my customized WIN 10 Pro image in VM and it turned out couple of programs (Firefox & 7-Zip) got installed via SetupCompleted.cmd during Windows setup. However, I noticed that some programs (i.e. Foxit Reader, Intel & Nvidia video drivers) did not get install via OOBE.cmd for RunOnce post setup (after user log in). I discovered that the Software folder copied to the C: Drive containing the programs just sitting there. I thought maybe the OOBE.cmd didn't get execute or something I over look. See the snip below. Any help is greatly appreciate it.
WIN10PRO_VM_OOBE.JPG

By the way, below is the commands I set in oobe.cmd for RunOnce for post setup.

Code:
@echo off

:RUNONCE

REG ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
SET KEY=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Foxit Reader" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Software\Foxit\FoxitReader.msi /quiet ADDLOCAL=ALL, ADVERTISE="FX_CONNECTEDPDF" MAKEDEFAULT=1 AUTO_UPDATE=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Intel HD Graphics Driver" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Software\Intel\igxpin.exe -s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Nvidia Geforce Driver" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Software\Nvidia\setup.exe -s -clean -noreboot" /f

EXIT

:CLEANUP
del /F /Q %systemroot%\setup\scripts\oobe.cmd

setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
set /a KEYNUM=0
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Softwares..." /f
FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:\Software" (for /f "delims=" %%z in ('dir /b %%i:\Software\*.exe') do (
set /a KEYNUM=!KEYNUM!+1
REG ADD %KEY%\!KEYNUM! /VE /D "%%~nz" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\!KEYNUM! /V 1 /D "%%i:\Software\%%z" /f
))

Just add this to end of your setupcomplete.cmd or oobe.cmd (don't forget to add this after your ntlite edits. or else ntlite will remove or break these commands)
this will run/install any exe file in Software folder (Software folder can be placed under anydrive's main directory)
Exe files will be run after useraccount is created + first logged in.
this method is out there since ages.

abbodi86 nuhi Clanger Kasual George King if there are any volunteers i would like to see how to add reg (with silent parameter) and msi (also with silent parameters) support to this script... and maybe subfolder support in software folder for exe reg and msi too... i think a year ago i asked for help again but i couldn't figure it out at mydigitallife forums

mTECHIE copying setup folder into system driver is bad solution. Your OOBE.cmd add related keys into registry, but will never execute RunOnceEx. You can look in my old tutorial on legacy forum

if there are any volunteers i would like to see how to add reg (with silent parameter) and msi (also with silent parameters) support to this script... and maybe subfolder support in software folder for exe reg and msi too... i think a year ago i asked for help again but i couldn't figure it out at mydigitallife forums

This is what I have done before. Silent setup folder, reg key, drivers, updates.. I'm using it on my Windows 7 AIO. Today Im going to re-test it on Windows 10... After that new topic is coming :)

Last edited:

i only add portables and ghosted installers - where i previously sniffed an installer with RegFromApp to create a reg file - converted to a bat file, copied the program files folder to $OEM$ then ran the bat post setup. only used for things like 7zip where i need a context menu entry, 7+TT and TExtify and to register a dll only. :cool:

Last edited:
George King It's been a minute I ever do this RunOnce thingie since the Windows 7 days (and probably XP day too) - which is why I'm having bit of difficulty figuring out. But thanks for the that old tutorial of your - I'll look into that - appreciate it. Look forward to seeing your result with Windows 10 result.

@ega914 I tried your solution and it turned out it didn't work out as I thought (Windows copy the Software folder to the C: Drive). I'm going to look at my OOBE.cmd and do some modification.

Put software folder in to your iso. actually any drive but c drive. script clearly shows that only c drive is not being searched.

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z)

ege914 The Software folder is in the ISO I made with NTLite (under $OEM$\$1).

Put software folder in to your iso. actually any drive but c drive. script clearly shows that only c drive is not being searched.

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z)

I didn't know there was another stage besides OOBE. Anyway, is it on that stage (Specialize) that the bloatware from manufacturers is installed (along with the one from Microsoft)?

ege914 I already tried the method you recommended (have the software on the roof of USB/ISO) and for whatever reason, the oobe.cmd script did not execute before Windows logon to desktop. I'm still currently investigating to find a solution. I suspect Microsoft did some changes to Windows 10 itself. This wasn't an issue with WIndows 7, 8/8.1before.

:cool:Has anyone else come up with a solution for programs install via post setup, feel free to share

Back