Problems removing and not detecting some components in Windows 8.1

AeonX

Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro VL Update 3 ISO with all updates integrated.

The preset causing these problems is attached.

Not detecting some components:

- Storage Spaces and SmartScreen are not detected.

- OOBE and Manual Setup compatibility do not appear;

Problems removing some components:

- Removing Windows Store or WinJS.2.0 or Setting Sync breaks PC settings;

- Removing Accessibility tools (Ease of Access) breaks On-Screen Keyboard (possibly happens on Windows 7 too but I don't remember);

- Removing NetBIOS over TCP transport does not remove the NetBT entry under DependOnService in the registry for TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service (lmhosts). This causes the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service to be unable to start as the NetBT driver has been removed but its dependence on it is not. This problem does not happen on Windows 10 because the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service does not have this entry on it (this issue occurs on Windows 7 as well);

- When removing Sticky Notes your shortcut is still present in Start Screen;

- When removing COM+ (Component Services) (management console) keeping COM+ (Component Services) its shortcut is still present in Administrative Tools (also occurs on Windows 10);

- When removing BranchCache Client, Sticky Notes, Webcam Experience and Windows Store and loading the image again NTLite detects it still present.

- Some scheduled tasks are left. Some that I'm sure should be removed with my preset:
CEIP (SQM)
\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM

Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Idle Maintenance
\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Maintenance Configurator
\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Manual Maintenance
\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular Maintenance

Attachments

• Win8.1.xml
    41.7 KB
Last edited:
Ahh nuhi, while you are at it can you check 8.1 winsxs leftovers after a clearout, just the winsxs component on its own, ive been getting language related leftovers on 7(eol) and 8.1(wu satisfied to last month).

Ahh nuhi, while you are at it can you check 8.1 winsxs leftovers after a clearout, just the winsxs component on its own, ive been getting language related leftovers on 7(eol) and 8.1(wu satisfied to last month).
Will take a look, if I understood correctly, please double-check: servicing stack compatibility is turned off, removing WinSxS Component Store has some language leftovers that seem out of place.

nuhi All compatibilities unchecked, disable protections True.

removing WinSxS Component Store has some language leftovers that seem out of place.
Correct. You'll see them easy, they all end with the language codes - ie ar-xx etc. Iso's used en-us w7(eol capture) and en-gb w8.1(live install). I was going to test removing them Elevated or Take Ownership but i havnt got to that yet.
Applied correctly winsxs-w7 should be around 40MB and 20 to 40 folders left inside.

No other tweaks or components, just winsxs. Just cleanout winsxs but keep all components needed for ntlite and dism servicing host and images.

Last edited:
nuhi Actually i can test right now on a capture and pm results.
Edit - Done and pm'd.

Last edited:
Checked the WinSxS leftovers on Win7 to start with.

Please do these extra steps to get rid of them:
- Enable custom update cleanup on the Updates page
- Remove Windows Component Store - Manifests as well
The language bits of crucial runtime is 2MB or so in total, not important and I believe necessary for non-English languages - could be cleaned potentially, but let's first see if you can confirm the big size difference gone after these 2 steps above.

Thanks.

Remove Windows Component Store - Manifests as well
Removed in the original preset as reported.
Code:
<c>manifestbackup 'Manifest Backup (WinSxS\Backup)'</c>
<c>winsxs 'Windows Component Store (WinSxS)'</c>

Enable custom update cleanup on the Updates page
Not done in the original report as i was removing winsxs anyway and assumed update cleanups would be part of the winsxs removal.

Last edited:
Checked the WinSxS leftovers on Win7 to start with.

Please do these extra steps to get rid of them:
- Enable custom update cleanup on the Updates page
- Remove Windows Component Store - Manifests as well
The language bits of crucial runtime is 2MB or so in total, not important and I believe necessary for non-English languages - could be cleaned potentially, but let's first see if you can confirm the big size difference gone after these 2 steps above.

Thanks.
Test1 rerun of original report, test2 specs as requested. Test 2 smaller, half the size but still larger than it should be. Exported file/folder lists for mounted winsxs using Everything search.

Attachments

• winsxs-test.zip
    653.5 KB
Last edited:
Never use Explorer or disk tools to find the actual size of WinSxS folder.
I used explorer to benchmark winsxs after removals when nuhi did the fix in 2.1.1.7xxx, thats before you posted on winsxs size(link in signature) so right or wrong i still use that method.

Back