Windows Updates Failing on Windows 10 1803

Zoom7000

I've just tried creating a new Windows 10 x64 1803 image and opted to remove all the "Windows Apps" with all the compatibility settings left at default. However, now when I install Windows, both the May and June (KB4284835) cumulative updates are failing to install with error 0x800f081f.

If I create the image again without removing any of the Windows Apps, the updates install fine. This only seems to be an issue since 1803 as I have been removing apps on 1703 and 1709 just fine.

Any ideas?

Hi,

tried that now, live and offline, with latest June update, no error.

- Please attach the preset used so that I'm not missing something
-Are you starting from 17134.1?
- Installing it without those components, then installing CU?
- Which NTLite ver?

Thanks.

Hi Nuhi,

I tried this morning with the latest version of NTLite that you released today (1.6.3.6240).
My Windows ISO label is SW_DVD9_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1803_64BIT_Eng_Intl_-3_MLF_X21-82156 - Installing Windows 10 Education x64.
Installing Windows, then booting into Audit Mode (Ctrl+Shift+F3) then attempting to install June cumulative update via Windows Update.
I've just tried it again, fresh copy from ISO, removed all of the Windows Apps and update failed. Attached xml file.
Starting from 17134.48

Thanks for your support!

Attachments

• WinVer.PNG
    WinVer.PNG
    33.1 KB
  • Fail.PNG
    Fail.PNG
    16.1 KB
I can confirm that this is an issue here for us too.
Starting with:
W10 17134.1 SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1803_64BIT_English_-2_MLF_X21-79647
Using NTLite 1.6.3.6240
Removing Apps
Updating KB4284835
The resultant installation files are then imported into a standardized build process in MDT (Build 8450).

Windows Updates are then attempted from our 2016 WSUS server and other updates go in just fine. Just the 4284835 fails.

Stopping the Windows Updates service, deleting C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution, then re-running Windows Updates again resolves the issue for that PC only.
It almost appears as if integrating KB4284835 is resulting in a corrupted WSUS cache on the target machine.

In addition, notice that after importing the files into MDT, the build number has not incremented to 10.0.17134.112 as expected, but remains on 10.0.17134.1 as pictured below.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
A further update.

MS has now issued two new updates for 1803:
- KB4284848 which is a 26th June update to the June CU https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284848
- A new servicing stack update KB4338853 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...date-for-windows-10-version-1803-june-26-2018

Stick them both in a folder and point NTLite at them and let it do its thing. The notes state that the SS Update needs to go in first, but NTLite seems to know to do this anyway. Updates then flow normally from by WSUS server after the client machine has been rebuilt with the new installation files.

The build version in MDT is still incorrect though.

A further update.

MS has now issued two new updates for 1803:
- KB4284848 which is a 26th June update to the June CU https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284848
- A new servicing stack update KB4338853 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...date-for-windows-10-version-1803-june-26-2018

Stick them both in a folder and point NTLite at them and let it do its thing. The notes state that the SS Update needs to go in first, but NTLite seems to know to do this anyway. Updates then flow normally from by WSUS server after the client machine has been rebuilt with the new installation files.

The build version in MDT is still incorrect though.
That's fine, but the issue still remains unanswered as to whether future updates (July, August, September etc) will fail or not.

That's fine, but the issue still remains unanswered as to whether future updates (July, August, September etc) will fail or not.

I think that is outside the control of the NTLite Devs as it is an MS package issue which has been occuring since May. If integrating the SS and latest CU fixed it without changing NTLite versions, then NTLite isn't the problem. Yet another crappy MS patch is to blame.

I have the ISO .1, I try to integrate the cumulative update kb4284848 to get the .137. After integrating and completing the NTLite ISO, I go to the virtualBOX machine as always. arrives at the step before creating the account that the computer will use, where Windows asks to wait a moment, after a few minutes it generates the error described in the title:

"Windows can not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

The compilation .1 worked fine when modified with NTLite. But tried with several original and modified ISO to integrate the updates without success. That could be happening

I've just tried creating a new Windows 10 x64 1803 image and opted to remove all the "Windows Apps" with all the compatibility settings left at default. However, now when I install Windows, both the May and June (KB4284835) cumulative updates are failing to install with error 0x800f081f.

If I create the image again without removing any of the Windows Apps, the updates install fine. This only seems to be an issue since 1803 as I have been removing apps on 1703 and 1709 just fine.

Any ideas?

I also have this problem after integrating the KB428435 CU (and the one before that) and removing and configuring some settings with NTLite's latest version in the 17134.1 build after I try to install the latest CU (KB4284848) through Windows Update. I searched the 0x800f081f error and do you think it might be related to the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 removal since a site I looked for mentions the .NET Framework 3.5? I stopped the Windows Update service, deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder (like the InspectorGadget user typed), started the Windows Update service and I still can't install the update.

EDIT: Weird, I tried manually installing the latest CU (KB4284848) and although it was successfully installed it broke the Start Menu and now I can't run it and nothing happens when I right click in the taskbar icons!

I can confirm that this is an issue here for us too.
Starting with:
W10 17134.1 SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1803_64BIT_English_-2_MLF_X21-79647
Using NTLite 1.6.3.6240
Removing Apps
Updating KB4284835
The resultant installation files are then imported into a standardized build process in MDT (Build 8450).

Windows Updates are then attempted from our 2016 WSUS server and other updates go in just fine. Just the 4284835 fails.

Stopping the Windows Updates service, deleting C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution, then re-running Windows Updates again resolves the issue for that PC only.
It almost appears as if integrating KB4284835 is resulting in a corrupted WSUS cache on the target machine.

In addition, notice that after importing the files into MDT, the build number has not incremented to 10.0.17134.112 as expected, but remains on 10.0.17134.1 as pictured below.

View attachment 801

But in that case how can I know if the problem was fixed? I'd have to wait until a new CU is out, which I don't want to. No CUs should be integrated or at least not the latest one (KB4284848) to know it the problem was fixed.

Last edited:
The next cumulative update should be out next Tuesday (if Microsoft are still continuing Patch Tuesday 2nd Tuesday of the month). I'm going to try the method in my original post. No integrating updates, just removing Windows Apps and see if the update fails.

Patch Tuesday has gone out of the window now there are multiple releases in a month. Nice of them to waste users time and download usage. :mad:

The next cumulative update should be out next Tuesday (if Microsoft are still continuing Patch Tuesday 2nd Tuesday of the month). I'm going to try the method in my original post. No integrating updates, just removing Windows Apps and see if the update fails.

But I also have this problem after integrating the CU that comes before the KB428435 one. The thing is, I do more than just remove Windows Apps like removing and configure settings so it would take a long time to remove and/or configure each thing through trial and error.

EDIT: Weird, this time I removed and configured some settings, didn't integrate a update and I didn't have any trouble installing the latest CU so after all is it the CU integration that causes this issue?

EDIT 2: Now I didn't remove or configure a thing but added the KB428435 CU and I had no problem installing the latest cumulative one! I don't know what causes this issue after all! I'll just wait until the new CU is out and I'll try to install it after integrating the KB4284848 CU and removing and configuring some settings.

Last edited:
good morning, I can not integrate the cumulative update to the image Win10 1803 .1; I get an error when starting the system that can not start "Windows can not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Weird, I managed to install the latest CU (KB4338819) through Windows Update (and it didn't break the Start Menu) in one PC but in the other I still can't install it.

EDIT: I tried to install the latest CU through Windows Update after a clean install but to no avail (I had the same 0x800f081f error).

Last edited:
Hello friends, I have the image windows 10 1803 .1; when integrating the updates. At the end of the installation, when I should load the user's information or start the desktop, I get an error that the installation can not be started on this computer that I must restart. that could be happening? I use a virtual machine to do the test

"Windows can not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

At the end of the installation, when I should load the user's information or start the desktop, I get an error that the installation can not be started on this computer that I must restart. that could be happening?

Please upload the auto-saved preset.

I have already tried several alternatives. the win10 1803 .1 without any modification and still does not install with the integration

I have already tried several alternatives. the win10 1803 .1 without any modification and still does not install with the integration
I get an error when starting the system that can not start "Windows can not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Seems like the issue is microsoft's fault, you can read some information here (but very carefull as the site is known to have potencially unwanted ads):
https://windowsreport.com/kb4338819-issues/

When installing this update can´t finish installing on reboot, the same could apply when it is integrated, it fails on first reboot where it applies the integrated update.

But maybe nuhi could confirm the issue.

Seems like the issue is microsoft's fault, you can read some information here (but very carefull as the site is known to have potencially unwanted ads):
https://windowsreport.com/kb4338819-issues/

When installing this update can´t finish installing on reboot, the same could apply when it is integrated, it fails on first reboot where it applies the integrated update.

But maybe nuhi could confirm the issue.

It happens with all cumulative updates after the .1

Back