A foolish question

Mr. Yu

Good day, I have a stupid question
Even though I know that disc+custom can be removed more deeply, I don't know if it will disrupt the activation or deactivation of features, as well as the installation of patches. Also, I don't know the purpose of Optimize Appx, there is no information about it in the ntlite forum.
Based on my understanding, does it delete the components that I have already deleted and delete all components related to "deleted components" in WinSxS?
I installed the latest LTSC2021 patch on the original version 21h2, and it can be installed normally, But the Windows Store will disappear. I am referring to the component where "edge depends on it", not Appx.
If possible, I would like you to create a new post explaining the functions of disc+custom and Optimize Appx. I'm sure every new NTlite user must have these two confusions.
Happy Loong Boat Festival.

Hi,

Removing Apps with just DISM is safer, as that is the Microsoft supported method.
+ Custom triggers deeper removal, especially if no Servicing Stack compatibility.
So, if you plan on using Windows updates, stick to DISM, if you disable Servicing Stack, remove with Custom.

Optimize Appx, will add this to docs later, thanks.

Not sure what's the point with LTSC and Store, that's normal that there is no Store in it by default.

Thank you very much for your answer, nuhi.
What is the method to reduce the volume without deleting WinSxS?
This is my preset. I removed most of the components and used "dism+custom", but the wim volume is still at 4.07G+.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide a method. My only solution now is to delete WinSxS. The volume can be reduced to 1.7G, this is very temptingbut,but it will disrupt the activation of the function.

Attachments

Saving WIM images using ESD compression will reduce the size further, but should only be done as the final step. While you're experimenting with a new image, and rapidly testing many changes, too much time will be spent in the ESD conversion.

Wait until you're satisfied with a build, and afterwards convert to ESD format.

I'm thinking, how does Microsoft clean up WinSxS when making LTSC versions? I believe there must be a way, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm thinking, how does Microsoft clean up WinSxS when making LTSC versions? I believe there must be a way, but I haven't found it yet.
They have a different core package for different editions, then it's easy.

Btw consider updating via Host Refresh, then you can remove WU and WinSxS if bothered by it.

Back