A thanks for continued Win7 support and maintenance

Rikomenar

Hello

I've been working my legs off trying to set up a nice PC room with all my needs for development, video, picture, game and daily tech news and FOSS satisfied after struggling to manage it all on just 1 PC, with one OS. 3 installations of custom Win10 made with NTLite and 2 of Linux distros, also down to the chair and desk, and all the other details.

But there's more, one of the items on the list was setting up a fresh install of Windows 7 for offline legacy gaming on the side, and I've never actually modified a Win7 ISO before, even tho I was quite big into tweaking back in the day, it really all took of in Win7 big time so that experience carried over to Win10, I happen to be quite specific and serious about my OS customization to behave and do things I want, I'm really bothered if it does something automatic behind my back that I do not like, some kind of cleanup, I was shocked to see newer Win10 schedule auto cleanups and removing "old stuff". Even tho I remember looking at the MS deployment tools way back, I never got to actually do much with it at the time, I started exploring that too late, and by then Win10 was starting to take shape so I lost interest to avoid waste of time.

Now, NTLite does warn about removing existing packages/updates, but I kinda took the challenge and if nothing else I might just find a few bugs or improvement potential along the way and get them reported. I didn't try running the ISO yet but I got the first attempt built, I tried to be logical about it and started removing the latest update first, it does take quite a bit of planning and patience to first figure out what each update does and let things

But I'm not sure, it does feel a bit shakey, so the updates got removed, then the modifications are applied, and then many new updates will be installed, I didn't knew that before I started, it appears it's not possible to actually install and apply updates before the NTLite's customization stage, so it's all queued, hopefully those updates to the removed/modified components simply skip themselfs without causing any collateral damage/effects.

However, this is just a side thing, I'll simply do it differently if this attempt won't work.

And a rant about update hysteria:

When various companies and organizations promote updates / upgrades they rarely recognize the a large but non-vocal community of advanced users that may have multiple computers with multiple OS installations and may just use an older OS for some innocent internet browsing while they mostly use it for lighter tasks and legacy software that's not meant to be mission critical or contain any highly valuable information. I believe the obsession with updates is partially exaggerated because of the potential finances that updates bring to these companies, whereas an older OS does not, and with big-data being compared as the "new crude oil" it is very much not surprising why would they want to force as many people to their newest and practically less useful softwares.

However I do not want to go off on a rant about update hysteria, I would mainly like to thank NTLite team for this continued support for Windows 7 as I'm right now building a custom ISO for my legacy gaming setup which I've had on my mind for like 2-3 years.

No matter how much companies want us to forget about history, some things simply aren't replacable, history is all a relative, there is no history, there is no time, this is only a subjective viewpoint of a living being looking at a particular order of these events and drawing a comparison, why do we need to draw comparisons at all, is this really necessary? What if the order of events was different? Why do we have to be tied to this particular order of events? If we wouldn't keep replacing things, these things could go on for eternity. Why do we have to replace some things for sake of replacing. Somebody must have some kind of benefit from constant replacement, many times replacement of things that technically or practically don't need replacement, or it is a subjective taste issue, where some "newer" thing is simply different, but does not make the "older" thing totally useless.

None of these legacy softwares are old, they're unique experiences with a unique story around them and our definitions of "better", "worse", "older", "newer" are only comparisons everything that exists has it's own place in existance forever, it's uniqueness is eternal. The stories around the legacy software are unique and will keep living there, a number of them I still like and in some cases absolutely nothing can replace them, no other newer experience, because of it's definition of being different, could satisfy that previous experience. The key point is difference, if it's different, then it does not matter where on the timeline it is, the order on that timeline should be irrelevant.

Hopefully that made some sense, but I think I could have worded it more clearly.

Last edited:
Windows 7(and 8.1) install and work reliably on Intel 8/9th generation and all drivers are availible. W7 installs on 10/11th generation but there are some work arounds needed, ive got parts coming today. Windows 8.1 installs on 10/11th generation without any work arounds, i will be checking the driver situation this coming week.

Windows 7(and 8.1) aint dying out anytime soon.

Last edited:
Yeah good stuff, I myself haven't found the time or well, wasn't able to afford researching and trying to support old OSes for new HW because I was stuck with 2012 HW until a few months ago, so I've moved all my dev/workstation stuff to the newer HW, and hopefully the old one keeps running the legacy stuff for as long as possible.

I was forced to get rid of Win7 some 4-5 years ago due to Sata port corrupting it and I didn't bother to reinstall it (I have clonezilla backups but I just pulled the data out rather), as I was concurrently already researching Win10 and tweaking that, all the other stuff in between, and sometimes I'm not in a mood to game, but after so many years, hey I really don't want to dump all that stuff out the window, if we don't help preserve it I'm not sure anyone else will.

Will they do a Call of Duty 1 and 2 remaster/remake ... but the second question is if it'll be any good, Crysis Remastered was a bit of a letdown, most of the original devs are gone, and I've never agreed with the vision of Crytek's management for the Crysis franchise at all, I've never touched Crysis 2 or 3. For me Crysis is just Crysis 1. I absolutely loved the exploration/adventure aspect of the game in it's first 75% of the game, the sneaking in the forrests ... the more alien it went, the less interesting it felt, if that part was kept as a minor side issue it would be okay.

Back