Adding Registry Files and how they are applied

boydf

Hello,

I have a question to ask and would appreciate any advice.

I have around 100 Registry files (*.reg) which I would like to integrate into NT Lite. They include settings meant for HKLM and HKCU.

If, for example, I had this code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\GetFileHash]
"MUIVerb"="Hash"
"SubCommands"=""

Would it be added to your user account (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) or the Default account within HKEY_USERS?

If it does get added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, how and when are the files processed and how does it work for new user accounts created after install?

Many thanks

At this point of the Windows-Environment HKEY_CURRENT_USER does not exist, hence it´s always integrated to HKEY_USERS default.
It will be directly integrated to the image.

Right click on one of the structur names and edit to see or load manually from your image out of NLTmpMount folder.

To add something into the CURRENT_USER it has to be run after first login.

I created a HKLM RunOnce key that is creating another HKLM RunOnce key that is executed after your first restart. This last key can execute a bat/cmd file that want´s to acces HKCU and %userprofile%. Because %userprofile% is also not existing until 'Post-Setup' is finished.
If you have to use files you added to $OEM$ you have to copy them elsewhere hence %windir%\Setup\Files that NTLite is creating will be deleted.

This cascade is also necessary because out of the post-setup you can´t create an HKCU RunOnce entry, that would be executed after confirming your login-password.

I think I understand. I'm not too bothered about it being automated. I would be happy with the REG files being accessible from the desktop or somewhere similar.

Add the reg files as txt to post-setup and add
copy "%windir%\setup\files\<name.txt>" "%public%\desktop\<name.reg>"

Back