Any reason not to integrate Microsoft Edge into Windows 7?

KaptanJackSparrow

Does Microsoft edge have any negative standby features ? assuming I'm never going to use it for what it is, any harm in including it in case something needs it ? like internet explorer 11 (never going to use it, but it's part of windows so it just sits in the background (hopefully quietly)

Ideal would be having both Ie11 and Edge side by side for compatibility reasons. space is cheap and they don't take much.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome ^_^

any reason to integrate? edge is built on chrome so use a security focussed chrome fork instead.
i use SlimJet portable for when FF has brain farts.

Last edited:
any reason to integrate? edge is built on chrome so use a security focussed chrome fork instead.
i use SlimJet portable for when FF has brain farts.
I want the windows 7 image to be as compatible and "works out of the box" as possible if there isn't anything that actually "needs" edge than I've got no use for it. felt it was for compatibility reasons like adding in all the C++ Redistributes or .net versions because something will need them. same reason I include Ie 11 because chances are I'll have some game or program that hooks into Ie and if it's not there things won't work.

I'm aware that edge is built off of chrome, there are countless firefox and chrome variants, I used Palemoon for a bit but it's really lost support so I may switch to waterfox, I've used Iron, and Brave which seems to be working for now. Honestly I miss the old firefox which was awesome they really haven't added much that I want or care about it just seems to grow uglier, get slower and more clumsy as they hid more and more settings.

Never heard of slimjet. and I love portable apps, installing things is a pain.

edge is chromium based, and chromium support ended on win7. i wouldn't even try to use win7 winxp win8 or win8.1.. always use the latest.

I love portable apps, installing things is a pain.
start an installer, start RegFromApp, save file, convert to bat/cmd with Reg Convert(sordum i think). copy the program files folder to $OEM$, post install run your reg/bat/cmd, program is installed, you have an uncle called robert. some thyings only need a dll to be registered, see files in zip. :cool:

Attachments

• xxx.zip
    1.5 KB
nuhi If its not there already how about adding a RegServer Template to Post Install/Setup for when users use the $OEM$ method?
If i remember correctly you showed me how to do it many moons ago :)
Code:
REGSVR32 /s "C:\Program Files\HashTab\HashTab32-6.0.0.34.dll"

Last edited:
edge is chromium based, and chromium support ended on win7.

Hmm I wasn't aware that Chrome had ended support for windows 7, still using a lot of their browsers... I can see that being problematic down the road.

i wouldn't even try to use win7 winxp win8 or win8.1.. always use the latest.

I'm not sure how to best say this without sounding like a stubborn old nut, I refuse to consider anything beyond windows 7 as a valid operating system. I consider windows 10 malware to be removed by whatever means necessary and will not use a computer for serious work until this task has been accomplished. Its not blind stubbornness or a refusal to accept change, I do not support the direction that the later operating systems have gone in, and will never be accept them no mater how hard Microsoft and company try to force them. if something that didn't have the windows store, forced updates, telemetry, spyware and other horrible features of windows 10 was released by Microsoft say windows 11 that was more like windows xp or windows 7 with support for modern hardware absolutely I would go for it. I was quite happy with xp and still use it when I can. however until the time that such a magical creature exists If I can't use it on windows 7 it's beyond worthless.

Attachments​

^ Thanks Clanger that looks cool.

8.1 is quite good, has native usb3/3.1 drivers and worth a look at. i might have put a 7zip phantom installer file in there.

8.1 is quite good, has native usb3/3.1 drivers and worth a look at. i might have put a 7zip phantom installer file in there.

My windows 7 does too ;) less telemetry and it still looks pretty. honestly If I figure out how to get windows 7 on the later gen cpu's I'll be good for another decade if I need to be. heck I'd Vm windows 10 on a windows 7 installation on a per application basis if I had to for the junk that really insists on windows 10.

Back